• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo@ High Point game #12 Wed 12/18 6:00 Central ESPN+

Started by justducky, December 17, 2019, 07:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Nobody seems eager to open this thread with no word on Nick. However they have a NET of 335, RPI of 319 and have only won once. With that in mind I am going to stick my neck out and try to break my losing streak of opening threads. I don't know how but I am expecting a win.  :thumbsup:

GoldenCrusader87

covufan

Time to get back on track. Bench needs to step up.

Valpo     82
High Pt.  67

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu72

Um...they lost to St Louis by 12.  We lost by 11.  They have a VERY young team. They started three freshman and two sophomores their last game.  Not very big either.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

Valpo was a 10 point favorite earlier this morning when I logged into DraftKings. Hope they can cover, lol.

crusadermoe

I think we all painfully recall that the loss at the ARC to High Point was the season Low Point.

bbtds

Quote from: crusadermoe on December 18, 2019, 01:49:00 PM
I think we all painfully recall that the loss at the ARC to High Point was the season Low Point.

I'm excited how delightfully punny this board has suddenly become. This is truly the HP of my time on this website.

talksalot

Actually, it appears they won TWICE...

11-05         William & Mary     7-3 (0-0)   88    56-70    L
  11-09     at    Wofford     5-4 (0-0)   166    61-89    L
  11-13     at    Boston Coll.     7-5 (2-0)   107    33-59    L
  11-18     at    Belmont     6-3 (0-0)   105    51-90    L
  11-20     at    Saint Louis     8-2 (0-0)   42    55-67    L
  11-23         Eastern Wash.     5-3 (1-0)   71    74-90    L
  11-26         Greensboro College     7-5 (1-0)   231    90-73    W
  12-02     at    North Florida     5-6 (0-0)   186    70-93    L
  12-05         Elon     1-8 (0-0)   343    70-66    W
?  12-14     at    Florida Atlantic     4-4 (0-0)   299    64-81    L
  12-18         Valparaiso     5-5 (0-0)   112    74-75 L - Scouting    ...Valpo Favored by 1...

Vegas Insider showing Valpo by 10, with an o/u between 137 and 138.5

Here's what High Point is saying about this game:

The High Point University men's basketball team (2-8) returns to the Millis Center to host Valparaiso (6-4) Wednesday (Dec. 16) night.

Wednesday's contest will be a Draw Like a Panther Redemption Game presented by YMCA of High Point and free HPU stadium cups will be given to fans. The halftime act will be The Amazing Sladek, who has been performing his unique act for 40 years, including a  guest appearance on Steve Harvey's TV Show, "Little Big Shots: Forever Young." He has also been featured on "America's Got Talent" and performs regularly for NBA halftime shows.

Smith vs Valpo
Head Coach Tubby Smith is 2-0 against Valparaiso all time. His first win against the Crusaders came in 2002 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament during his time at Kentucky. Smith's most recent win occurred a season ago as HPU won at the buzzer on the road to beat Valpo, 55-53.

Matchup History
HPU is 1-0 all time against Valpo, with its first meeting coming last season. The Panthers won 55-53 on a Brandonn Kamga buzzer beater.

Panther Notes
John-Michael Wright was named Big South Freshman of the Week for the third time this season, which is the most Big South weekly honors for any player this season. This honor came following a week where he recorded his first career double-double with 12 points and ten rebounds in High Point's 81-64 loss at FAU on Saturday (Dec. 14). The freshman has now recorded double-digits in scoring in seven of his first ten games. 
Curtis Holland III led the Panthers in scoring the last time out against FAU, Holland ended the game with 17 points. He also led the team in blocks with two. He has recorded double-digit scoring his last six games.
Jamal Wright had an efficient night from the floor shooting 67 percent on the night and scored ten points off the bench.
High Point have been efficient from the charity stripe this season shooting 73 percent, which is second best in the conference. The Panthers have attempted 217 free throws this season and have made a Big South best 159.

Across the Bench
Valparaiso enters the contest 6-5 which represents its tenth consecutive season with a winning record after ten games played.
The Crusaders are led by Sophomore Javon Freeman-Liberty, who averages 21.8 points per game, ranking ninth nationally in scoring. Freeman-Liberty has scored 240 points in eleven games played.
Valpo has showcased elite ball movement this season averaging 16.6 assists per game this year which ranks 27th out of 350 teams.
Valparaiso is coming off of an 67-57 loss at Charlotte Monday (Dec. 16) night. Freeman-   Liberty was leading scorer with 17 points.

The High Point last game:

BOCA RATON, Fla -- The High Point University men's basketball team was unable to hold on to an early lead and suffered an 81-64 loss to Florida Atlantic on Saturday (Dec. 14) afternoon in its final road trip of the calendar year.

After an Owls basket to start the game, High Point proceeded on a 7-0 run for an early lead, which included a pair of baskets in the paint from redshirt sophomore Caden Sanchez. The teams traded baskets before FAU went on 16-0 run over a four-minute span to put the hosts up by double-digits (19-9).

HPU proceeded on another 7-0 run to cut the deficit to three that started with a layup from senior Jamal Wright and ended with him hitting a wide open three-pointer where Sanchez drew the double-coverage in the paint and dished it to him on the wing.

The Panthers hit a pair of shots to start the half to cut the deficit to seven but were unable to claw their way back into the lead. Florida Atlantic went up by as many as 22 at the end of the closing stanza thanks in part to shooting 60 percent from the field in the half and 53.8 percent in the game.

High Point was led in scoring by sophomore Curtis Holland III with 17 points and has now scored in double digits in his last six games. John-Michael Wright chipped in with 12 points and a team-leading 10 rebounds for his first double-double in his career. He has reached double digits in scoring in seven of his first ten games. Jamal Wright finished with 10 points, which is a season high.

===========

Crowds do not appear to be an issue:

Team Results
Date Opponent     Score     Attendance  (Home Average 1,276)
11/05/2019 William & Mary L 56-70     1292
11/09/2019 at Wofford L 61-89      2001
11/13/2019 at Boston College L 33-59    4710
11/18/2019 at Belmont L 51-90     1556
11/20/2019 at Saint Louis L 55-67     4624
11/23/2019 Eastern Wash. L 74-90     874
11/26/2019 Greensboro W 90-73     1105
12/02/2019 at North Florida L 70-93     1328
12/05/2019 Elon W 70-66     1831
12/14/2019 at Fla. Atlantic L 64-81     1350

The "Arena"... STOP all complaining about the ARC. Their Arena seats  1,750  PLENTY of $10 tickets are available for tonights' game.

https://highpointpanthers.com/sports/2009/8/4/fac_0804090945.aspx

VALPO LI

Anyone having trouble getting this game on espn+?
Error message "Authentication Failed"
All other games come up fine!
Shine on Vu

bbtds

Quote from: VALPO LI on December 18, 2019, 06:14:04 PM

Working fine for me except the game is extremely frustrating.

bbtds

Quote from: VALPO LI on December 18, 2019, 06:14:04 PM

Did you get it working? If you are still having trouble you might try the very sophisticated and highly technical procedure of turning your computer off & on.  ;D

I'm going to try that sophisticated and highly technical procedure to see if the game will get better for Valpo.

EDIT: I think my turning the computer off & on actually worked for Valpo tonight.  ;)

Valpo completes 39-11 run.

VALPO LI

I'm back baby!!!! Just in time for Sackey's Hail Mary interception for 2!!! :thumbsup:
Had to reinstall espn app.
Shine on Vu

govalpogo

I only got to watch the last 14 minutes, but that was definitely the right 14 minutes to watch.  That part, at least, was more indicative of the kind of game Valpo wants to play.  Any win on the road with this bunch is a good one. 

nkvu

Nice to see the team find their 3 point shot in the second half. Freeman sure does open things up for the other players when he is on the court. Gordon shot lights out and Kiser even managed to knock down a couple. Hope they don't leave their shot on the plane when they get to Arkansas.

crusader05

If Gordon and Clay continue on their trajectory we will be in a good place by the back half of conference and for next year. Sackey bounced back and had no turn overs. Javon seemed off in the first half with the foul trouble but came back.

valpotx

Good second half, and if this is the status quo for Gordon moving forward, it will still be a fun season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

RS

Two different halves although Javon did not play the last 12 minutes of the first half. Really impressed with Gordon. 6 out of 8 3pt shots. Noticed in a few earlier games that he has a real sweet shot from three. Hope he stays healthy and I definitely think he deserves more playing time

bbtds

Well, it certainly was the High Point game of this road trip. It's amazing how Sackey can throw up his hands, like he's an evangelical praising God, and have the ball somehow fall into his hands and then make a brilliant move to the basket in the same game where he absolutely looks horrible with his sloppy play and passes. Please, Daniel, learn to be the good guy only.

Yes, Javon, must play and open up the game for us. High Point suddenly got really cold while Valpo was able to start making almost everything with shots made by Gordon, Kiser, Krikke and even Sackey. Not to mention Freeman's floaters. 

wh

Over the last 6 games Eron is shooting an astounding 72% FG and 67% 3FG (12-18). It's high time to give him more minutes. He's no longer "supporting cast."  Ben is consistently out performing Mileek and should be getting more minutes. Javon is amazing.

crusader05

Didn't watch the game but Sackey finished with what? 10 points, 8 assists and 0 turnovers? That's really what I think you'd need for him to be considered successful and doing his job. Maybe a couple more points but if his main role is distributer than those assist/turnover numbers are pretty good.

humbleopinion

Emil wasn't dressed for the game.  Any word on him? This wouldn't have been a game that favors his style, but he needs to get minutes when he can.
Beamin' Beacons

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on December 18, 2019, 08:12:12 PM
Over the last 6 games Eron is shooting an astounding 72% FG and 67% 3FG (12-18). It's high time to give him more minutes. He's no longer "supporting cast."  Ben is consistently out performing Mileek and should be getting more minutes. Javon is amazing.

It's now obvious that Eron was injured early in the season.  Now showing what he can do ... feed him the rock!   :dance:

VUfan

Well there you have it up ,down, up, this will be a bumpy ride but fun.  This team is learning the college game, as long as  they keep likening each other it should be fun!!  ;D

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 18, 2019, 08:41:10 PM
Quote from: wh on December 18, 2019, 08:12:12 PM

It's now obvious that Eron was injured early in the season.  Now showing what he can do ... feed him the rock!   :dance:

His release looks better and the results speak for themselves! When Fazekas comes back he should just pass the ball to Gordon  ;)  Our team 3 point shooting % now stands at .345 which isn't bad considering Ryan has been absent and we were nearly dead last in Div 1 in 2018-19.  :o

vu84v2

Quote from: crusader05 on December 18, 2019, 08:14:39 PM
Didn't watch the game but Sackey finished with what? 10 points, 8 assists and 0 turnovers? That's really what I think you'd need for him to be considered successful and doing his job. Maybe a couple more points but if his main role is distributer than those assist/turnover numbers are pretty good.

9 assists (not 8) with zero turnovers is pretty good? What he needs to do to be considered successful? Isn't your standard a bit high?