• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo@ High Point game #12 Wed 12/18 6:00 Central ESPN+

Started by justducky, December 17, 2019, 07:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUBBFan

Quote from: VUBBFan on December 18, 2019, 10:35:21 PM
Quote from: humbleopinion on December 18, 2019, 08:19:12 PMEmil wasn't dressed for the game.  Any word on him? This wouldn't have been a game that favors his style, but he needs to get minutes when he can.
It was said that Emil was out because of back issues. This seems to be a plague for us this year since Nick is currently suffering with it and Zion started out the year with back problems too. At least it seems Eron is doing OK now. Heard in early practices before the season started he was wearing a big knee brace when they were going through drills. Now he doesn't seem to be shuffling his feet as much as he was at the beginning of the year.

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on December 18, 2019, 10:35:40 PM
Quote from: crusader05 on December 18, 2019, 08:14:39 PM
Didn't watch the game but Sackey finished with what? 10 points, 8 assists and 0 turnovers? That's really what I think you'd need for him to be considered successful and doing his job. Maybe a couple more points but if his main role is distributer than those assist/turnover numbers are pretty good.

9 assists (not 8) with zero turnovers is pretty good? What he needs to do to be considered successful? Isn't your standard a bit high?

Yeah, I'd agree that 1 assist short of a point/assist double-double is pretty good. lol

nkvu

I forgot to give props to Sackey. Great game lots of assists with no turnovers. If he could do this every game, Gordon continue shooting like the last couple of games, and we get Fazekus back, this could be an interesting conference season.

bbtds

Quote from: nkvu on December 19, 2019, 12:23:16 AM
I forgot to give props to Sackey. Great game lots of assists with no turnovers. If he could do this every game, Gordon continue shooting like the last couple of games, and we get Fazekus back, this could be an interesting conference season.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda..................let's see it for real............now is the time.............it's as good as any time................the talent is there.

crusader05

I do think Sackey's play was good! I was commenting on another person who stated that he thought he looked horrible at times with sloppy passing. I probably should have quoted that section to clarify though.

elephtheria47

I won't say I love the backcourt (due to their size), but man is Sackey and JFL fun to watch. I hope they stay in tact the entire time. As we've said before, this is the type of game Sackey needs to be having every game to be successful...not so much stats wise, but playing fast and moving the ball. Great game by Gordon too.

While High Point isn't that good of a team, we were challenged by them and we responded well. Our team is inconsistent, and young, but you can see the potential.

vu72

Although the first half had its challenges with JFL on the bench for most of it, the second half has to be one of the best in a long time.  28 assists to 9 turnovers?  Shooting 41% from the 3 and 77% from the line? Hats off as well to workhorse John Kiser.  2 of 4 from deep, 8 boards and zero turnovers!  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

SanityLost17

We still gave up way too many points to a bad team.   Defense has to get better or we are a 6 win team in the MVC. 

Not saying we always look great on offense, but we have enough tools to put up enough points to win games.   

Crazy...  Last year all we could talk about was how bad the offense was...   Now, we are all racking our brains wondering when the defense is going to come around.   

EddieCabot

Quote from: SanityLost17 on December 19, 2019, 08:40:39 AM
We still gave up way too many points to a bad team.   Defense has to get better or we are a 6 win team in the MVC. 

Not saying we always look great on offense, but we have enough tools to put up enough points to win games.   

Crazy...  Last year all we could talk about was how bad the offense was...   Now, we are all racking our brains wondering when the defense is going to come around.

As others have pointed out, the defense is a high risk / high reward proposition.  Valpo ranks top 50 in creating turnovers, but is in the bottom 35 in effective FG% allowed.  From the games I've seen, the gambling and double-teaming does create turnovers, but also gives up a lot of good shots for opponents.

oklahomamick

Great second half.  Crusaders have been on the road for a week, so no matter if High Point is terrible, its a good win.  Need to have better starts.  Can that replace the slogan of "Gritty"?
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 19, 2019, 11:31:03 AM
Great second half.  Crusaders have been on the road for a week, so no matter if High Point is terrible, its a good win.  Need to have better starts.  Can that replace the slogan of "Gritty"?

Suggestions:

Let's get better starts!

Gentlemen, start your game engines!

Five minutes of a great start is worth 10 minutes of great playing time at the finish.

When you have a great start then Bob's your uncle.

Uncle Sam would never let you down after a great start.

Sticks and Stones may break your bones but great starts will never hurt you.

? ? ? ?

govalpogo

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 19, 2019, 11:31:03 AM

Wasn't Valpo up 12-3 to start this game?  I didn't see the first half, but skimmed the pbp on the stat cast.  I think a lot of the fall off happened because JFL was on the bench for the final 12 minutes of the first half. 

vu72

Quote from: govalpogo on December 19, 2019, 02:38:14 PMI think a lot of the fall off happened because JFL was on the bench for the final 12 minutes of the first half. 

Not really.  When JFL left the game it was 16-15 Valpo.  With 1:54 left in the half Valpo was up 39-35.  Just a couple of very late baskets got up down 3 at the half.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015