• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers 2020

Started by M, March 08, 2020, 07:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

I follow JFL on Instagram and how was a live and he mentioned he's been living at his cousins house for 3 weeks. Probably didn't want to be in Valpo while the news dropped about the transfer. So we found out a week ago publicly. Told his teammates/coaches a few days before the news came out on to the public. Told teammates/coaches around, 3/23. So may he probably knew at least a week and a half prior.

Just an observation, but I follow his Uncle Marcus Liberty on twitter who has essentially been managing his basketball career and through out the whole season his twitter profile has basically been an advertisement to other coaches... it was just the traditional family member stuff. Definitely lots of love and support trying to keep JFL focused but it felt like he was putting the highlights and tweets out for outside basket coaches. Just my 2cents looking back fwiw.

I also something else I've noticed. Obviously JFL seems excited about the move to DePaul. Seems like he wants to play "up" and in a higher profile league.

I'm sure JFL has some love for Valpo, but as others have mentioned, felt like one foot in and one foot out scenario. Always looking to see if the grass was greener on the other side.

VUGrad1314

Oh well... Time to move on... Hopefully we have a group of guys dedicated to the program 100% now and we will reap the rewards of that. We need that Valpo Vs the World mentality if we want to truly reach the next level I think.

We all we got... We all we need...

#OneTeamOneBoat

vu72

So it looks like the whole transfer thing is about finished nationally with the current number at 945, which is down from last year's 992 but higher than any other year going back to 2012, when the total was only 577.

At the same time, I'm wondering whether or not the quality of the conference has any correlation to the total number of transfers? For a sample, I looked at the total number of transfers in the Horizon versus The Valley.  The Horizon has a total of 38 transfers versus The Valley at a total of 25.  Clearly there are some dumpster fires in the Horizon with Oakland, Green Bay and IUPUI having 6 transfers each and Milwaukee having 7!!!! In the Valley no one has more than 4.

If stability has any relation to strength (and I think it does), then a couple of our opponents for next year should be pretty solid.  UIC has zero transfers and Wright State only has 1.  The Valley front runners (Valpo, Northern Iowa and Loyola) each had only 1 transfer.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

So I thought the transfer thing was about done at 945.  I was wrong!  The transfer portal just added the 1000th player, an all time high.  With only one transfer, Valpo is way below the average.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Well we deserve a break. We had enough for like three offseasons last year. Too bad that one transfer was by far and away our best player which makes us at best a middle of the pack team in all likelihood and not one of the MVC frontrunners. I'd say we're clearly below UNI Loyola and Bradley and in the pack alongside Indiana State SIU Missouri State and possibly Drake though they suffered a huge loss when Robbins left as well. Evansville should be better and Illinois State is definitely ascending again but I would still put us ahead of them for now. We are probably toward the top or middle of that ISUb SIU MSU Drake tier which would put us anywhere from 4th-7th in all likelihood. I think that is a fair and reasonable expectation for us right now.

valpo64

I believe that we still will be contenders even though we lost JFL.

NativeCheesehead

While optimistic, I don't know if we are a top half of the league team. We're basically basing our optimism on four days in March. Biggest three reasons we played on Sunday were JFL, Ryan, and Kiser. All three are gone now.

vu72

Some time ago I looked at the team record the year after stars departed.  People like Bryce, Lubos, Rowdy or Alec.  Don't have the results at my finger tips but overall, it was a pretty solid record.  We have a lot of very mature players. One senior and three red-shirt seniors.  The starting lineup will be one sophomore, one junior and three seniors.  With JFL taking 25% of the total shots (and he missed a couple of games), who knows how the others will respond.  We've also got some serious talent coming in.  I am hopeful.

NotBryceDrew

What hasn't been acknowledged either is that although JFL was/ and still is an amazing talent, he was rather inefficient in the second half of the season. Take the Evansville and Loyola tournament games 6-25 from the field. My hope is that although his defense prowess cannot be replaced that the team will become a more Efficient as a unit. Also Clay and Krikke were both playing starters minutes and getting it done as freshman big positive there.

VU2014

He had mono in the MVC tourney. He gets a pass from me and the kid still made the all conference team

valpotx

Top 3 next season.  Book it!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on July 12, 2020, 02:06:45 PM
Some time ago I looked at the team record the year after stars departed.  People like Bryce, Lubos, Rowdy or Alec.  Don't have the results at my finger tips but overall, it was a pretty solid record.  We have a lot of very mature players. One senior and three red-shirt seniors.  The starting lineup will be one sophomore, one junior and three seniors.  With JFL taking 25% of the total shots (and he missed a couple of games), who knows how the others will respond.  We've also got some serious talent coming in.  I am hopeful.

Also, don't forget about the "Goodnews" we picked up in May.

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/update-valparaiso-picks-up-commitment-from-goodnews-kpegeol-javon-freeman-liberty-commits-to-depaul/article_369e5d88-4a9a-56d2-8002-6ecfce6bd573.html