• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Vanderbilt game 11-27-2020-Starting Five?

Started by tiny707, November 24, 2020, 09:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

Nick, Donovan, Mileek, Sheldon and Goodness I have.

VUSWIM08-12

Unless Sackey is out I'd have him over Edwards...

IndyEIT777

My guess is Sackey, Edwards, Clay, Krikke & Mileek. I could see Nick starting over Edwards but I don't see anyone starting at the point over Sackey (at least to start the season).

justducky

I'm not picturing Edwards having the maturity to instantly step into a successful starting role against an SEC opponent. Traditional thinking would have all our newcomers rotating off the bench so that maybe 10 players will see action in the first 12 minutes of play.

I have no idea how some of these new players will fit into the bigger team picture. I can see things going really well or really badly. With the new faces it will take 5 or more games before we even know what our full range of options are. Should be interesting.

Should we go with this as our official game thread or is tiny707 a game thread starter jinx?  ;)

crusadermoe

Ditto on Indy except Eron over Edwards.

I haven't paid much attention so I am going with last year's best and Eron experience level.  Haven't even known of Edwards yet.

justducky

Quote from: justducky on November 25, 2020, 10:13:45 AMShould we go with this as our official game thread or is tiny707 a game thread starter jinx? 

11:05 tip off and still no official game thread? Anybody with any inside thinking or friendly bets? As a kid I knew more about some blind dates than I know about Vandy . It is on the SEC network if that is in your cable package.

Wait!! Warren Nolen has it at 12:05 Eastern but my guide shows it at 5:59. Was there a late scheduling change?

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

vok22

This is a game I would be disappointed if we lost. We have been in the MVC now for for plenty of time to adjust. We need to beat bad Power 5 schools when we have the chance, especially when we aren't playing in front of a big crowd. We came close a few times last year. I really have no idea what to expect from our team this year with so many newcomers and moving parts with covid, but it's about time we prove our worth in this league and a win in a very winnable power 5 game could be a good first step.

VALPO LI

Quote from: justducky on November 26, 2020, 10:52:40 PM
Quote from: justducky on November 25, 2020, 10:13:45 AMShould we go with this as our official game thread or is tiny707 a game thread starter jinx? 

11:05 tip off and still no official game thread? Anybody with any inside thinking or friendly bets? As a kid I knew more about some blind dates than I know about Vandy . It is on the SEC network if that is in your cable package.

Wait!! Warren Nolen has it at 12:05 Eastern but my guide shows it at 5:59. Was there a late scheduling change?

The game tips off at 7pm eastern (6pm CT)

https://twitter.com/VandyMBB/status/1331000150093819906

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/vandy-welcomes-valpo-in-2020-21-season-opener/2020/11/26/66c7bf2e-2fdb-11eb-9dd6-2d0179981719_story.html

Shine on Vu

NotBryceDrew

bbtds

https://vucommodores.com/pippen-picked-preseason-all-sec/

Pippen Picked Preseason All SEC

Vanderbilt sophomore point guard recognized in coaches' poll

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Vanderbilt sophomore Scotty Pippen Jr. has been picked to the Southeastern Conference preseason All-SEC team as voted on by the league's coaches, the SEC announced Thursday.

Pippen, a 6-foot-1, 170-pound point guard, was selected to the second team. He played in all 32 Vandy games in 2019-20 and averaged 12 points and 3.6 assists per game.

A product of Los Angeles, Pippen scored a career-high 21 points twice – once against Austin Peay and once against South Carolina – and registered eighth assists in a win over South Carolina State. Pippen also attempted 189 free throws and 952 minutes.

The coaches' preseason All-SEC first and second teams consist of a minimum of eight players on each squad, voted on by the SEC basketball coaches. No ties were broken and no predicted order of finish was made.

No Central Arkansas for this Pippen. Scotty's son is at SEC Vanderbilt.

bbtds

There will be no fan attendance at tonight's Valpo at Vandy MBB game.

https://vucommodores.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/1-Valparaiso.pdf

Valparaiso Crusaders (0-0) at Vanderbilt Commodores (0-0)
Nov. 27, 2020 • 6 p.m. CT • Memorial Gymnasium (14,316) • Nashville, Tenn.
TV: SEC Network (Richard Cross, Mark Wise)
Radio/TuneIn: WQZQ 830 AM, 93.3 FM, 101.9 FM
Joe Fisher (play-by-play), Tim Thompson (analyst)

A Vandy Win Would...
... be the fourth straight in a season opener and 14th straight in a home opener.
... make Vanderbilt 2-0 in season openers in the Stackhouse Era.
... improve the Commodores to a 3-0 all-time against Valparaiso.
A Vandy Loss Would...
... be the first season-opening loss since falling to Marquette at the 2016 Veterans Classic in Annapolis.
... be the first loss in a home opener since the 2006-07 season when the Dores were bested by Georgetown.
... be less good than a win.-------Brilliant!!!!!!
On Deck
Vanderbilt leaves for the Roman Legends Classic on Sunday morning. The Commodores will take on UConn
in the opening round Tuesday at 4 p.m. CT on ESPN. Depending on the outcome, Vandy will play the winner or
loser of BYU and USC on Thursday at either 6 p.m. CT or 8:30 p.m. CT.
Following a road matchup at SMU on Dec. 8, Vanderbilt's next home game is Friday, Dec. 11 against North
Carolina Central which starts a four-game homestand.

Battle Ground
This will be third meeting between Vanderbilt and Valparaiso.
Vanderbilt leads the all-time series, 2-0. Both the previous matchups also took place in Memorial Gymnasium.
The last time the Commodores and Crusaders met, Vanderbilt won 87-78 in November of 2007.
In the first all-time meeting, Vanderbilt defeated the Crusaders, 74-66, in the 1996 Preseason NIT.
Looking Astern
Vanderbilt's 2019-20 campaign came to an end in the first round of the SEC Tournament on March 11 with an
86-73 loss to Arkansas at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville.
Freshman guard Scotty Pippen Jr. finished with 16 points and six rebounds while freshman forward Dylan
Disu scored 13 points and collected 10 rebounds. Freshman guard Jordan Wright scored 10 for Vanderbilt.
Saben Lee led Vanderbilt with 30 points and moved into 23rd in Vanderbilt's all-time scoring list. On Nov. 18,
he was drafted in the second round of the NBA Draft by the Detroit Pistons (38th overall).

Projected Lineup
Starters
No. Name Ht. Yr. Pos. Notes/Stats
1 Dylan Disu 6-9 So. F Played 32 games (31 starts) last year; 5 double-doubles
2 Scotty Pippen, Jr. 6-3 So. G Preseason All-SEC second team; 31 starts last season
3 Maxwell Evans 6-2 Sr. G 28 min/game ranked third on team last year
5 DJ Harvey 6-6 Sr. G Transfer from Notre Dame, redshirt junior
42 Quentin Millora-Brown 6-10 Jr. F Transfer from Rice, redshirt sophomore

Off the Bench
0 Tyrin Lawrence 6-4 Fr. G 2019 AAA Georgia State Player of the Year
4 Jordan Wright 6-6 So. G/F Averaged 5.7 points, 2.8 rebounds, 16.5 minutes last yr.
10 Myles Stute 6-7 Fr. F Gonzaga College HS (D.C.); all-state second team
11 Braelee Albert 6-5 So. G/F Played in 20 games (six starts), joined spring semester
12 Trey Thomas 5-11 Fr. G July signee in Class of 2024 from Ontario, Canada
13 Issac McBride 6-1 Fr. G Transfer from Kansas, immediately eligible to play
14 Isaiah Rice 5-11 Sr. G Walk-on played in six games in 2019-20
15 Clevon Brown 6-8 5th F Started nine games before knee injury last season
20 Max Adelman 6-5 Fr. G/F New Jersey native, team nickname: The Guru, walk-on
33 Drew Weikert 6-0 Jr. G Walk-on, played in four games last season
34 Akeem Odusipe 6-9 Fr. F Attended Catholic HS in Knoxville, Nigerian native
50 Ejike Obinna 6-10 Sr. F/C Nigerian native, 56 career games, redshirt junior

IndyEIT777

"My guess is Sackey, Edwards, Clay, Krikke & Mileek."

Called it!