• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Illinois State on ESPN+ Series Thread

Started by vok22, January 23, 2021, 05:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU75

Looks like Krikke, Sacky, Clay and Gordon will all play over 35 minutes.

VALPO LI

Shine on Vu

AlaskaCrusader19

It wasn't pretty, but I'm glad to see the team get two wins. I wasn't able to watch on Saturday, but I'm hoping that this can be a good starting point for making some improvement and building for next season.

nkvu

Thought for moment there that they were gonna give this one away, but give them credit. They found a way to pull out a close game. Now they know it can be done. Nice game from Krikke, and Sackey actually hit a three!

valpo64

Under alot of pressure after the Loyola disaster, give Coach Lottich, staff and players alot of credit for this 2 game sweep on the road.  They re-grouped and got the job done.  It doesn't matter who is playing, but it is very difficult to sweep 2 back-to-back games on consecutive days, on the road.  Let's keep it going!

justducky

vok22 sure does know how to open a  Series Thread!

The team performed pretty well also!

So Nick opts out and suddenly Zion suits up and plays and Emil is also in uniform. Some kind of message here?

valpotx

Congrats to the team on bouncing back with 2 solid wins on the road.  Regardless of ISUr probably being a bottom 3 team, we need to beat those teams, in order to finish in an ideal situation for us this season, which is probably middle-of-the-pack (5th-6th).  We already played 2 of the top 3 teams, so if we can compete against everyone else, it still may be a salvageable season, regardless of the naysayers and #FireLottich crowd on here ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

RS

Krikke was dominant today and our 2 canadians totaled 41 points. Definitely a big step forward.

oklahomamick

I knew we were going to win when Sackey hit his second three of the year.  He was shooting 5% from 3 this year.

This is our first D1 win streak for the year.  Onwards and Upwards!
CRUSADERS!!!

SanityLost17

1.  It is all about the effort.  I don't care if we lose as long as we play hard. 

2.  We are still gonna lose a lot of games because not only are we gonna play a lot of back to back games but we also have makeup games from COVID.   All with a short bench when it comes to talent/experience.   

I don't know how we can finish 6th without McMillan playing like he did at the end of last year because we need that depth. 

vu72

Quote from: RS on January 24, 2021, 04:42:49 PM
According Paul Oren, Zion Morgan is suited up for game today.

Not only Zion but also Emil.  I think we are down to just Siggie being not available.  Good to see Zion play.  He isn't much of a scorer but he is a lock down defender.

Very good win and great game for Ben.  It is interesting in that we don't often see both Donovan and Ben have good game together.  Perhaps the opponent has to "pick your poison"  which is very good for us.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

nkvu

Need to also credit Helm who came in stone cold and knocked down two clutch free throws. Looks like he is going to be our weapon when we have a lead and the other team has to foul. That was a nice inbounds play to get him the ball so they had to foul the right guy. Well done.

wh

7 straight W's over ILSU. Now, if we can only figure out the other 8 teams, we'll have it made in this league.  ;)

valpopal

Quote from: nkvu on January 25, 2021, 09:05:45 AM
Need to also credit Helm who came in stone cold and knocked down two clutch free throws. Looks like he is going to be our weapon when we have a lead and the other team has to foul. That was a nice inbounds play to get him the ball so they had to foul the right guy. Well done.

It is great to see him use the Virgil Sweet "Valpo Method" of shooting free throws learned locally. I have said for years in the past that style should be required of any VU player who doesn't shoot a decent percentage at the foul line.

vuny98

In 5 conference games thus far this year we have scored: 68, 68, 69, 70.... and 39. Take that Loyola game out as an outlier and we've put up decent offensive numbers all things considered. Averaging ~69 pts a game should put us in a position to win (or at least be competitive) in most games.