• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Ohio Valley Conference loses two

Started by oklahomamick, January 30, 2021, 07:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Eastern Kentucky and Jacksonville State beginning in 2021-22 will no longer be in the OVC.  They along with Central Arkansas will be joining the ASun. 

Hello Belmont and Murray St. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Not sure whether EKU and JSU leaving the OVC is enough to convince Belmont to make the jump this time but another school leaving (and a school like WIU being added which have both been rumored) would make things VERY interesting. Even though the loss of EKU and JSU weakens the OVC in basketball it does not do so in a way that that renders the travel savings and the 1\12 split of NCAA credits going down to 1\10 irrelevant to Belmont. If however a school like Austin Peay also signs on to this A-Sun experiment and a school like WIU is added (which the OVC would absolutely consider to give themselves some cushion when it comes to AQ status in football) that shifts the balance of the conference further west significantly weakens the league in basketball eats into Belmont's travel savings breaks up the Tennessee bloc creates a spot in the MVFC for Murray State should they desire it and marks two (possibly 3 if Murray State also wants to leave) longstanding members of the conference bidding farewell in a very short span. Not a good look. While I would call this one far from a fait accompli there certainly is reason to believe that a move could be possible and man would it be huge for the MVC.

oklahomamick

This forces ovc out of divisions and Belmont and Murray state to play twice during the season with one true conference winner. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 30, 2021, 08:41:17 AMThis forces ovc out of divisions and Belmont and Murray state to play twice during the season with one true conference winner.

Wouldn't that be a good thing for both and an inducement to stay? I still think we need to see another move before it really feels like a strong possibility.

VUGrad1314

And not UT-Martin which has been rumored. I think it needs to be Austin Peay to get Murray State and Belmont to jump. And with Belmont there is no guarantee that there destination would be the MVC. It could be the SOCON but I have not heard any indication that they want to expand even though adding Belmont would be a really smart move for them. I hope the MVC gets Murray and Belmont if they do decide to move. It would make the league way stronger and that's a good thing.

crusadermoe

If the MVC can keep generate competitive top 40 teams at two per year like Drake and Loyola this year or even alternating ones I don't see much reason to expand beyond 10 teams.  Ten members has some good symmetry.  Belmont doesn't deliver the Nashville market so you are widening the footprint without much to show for it.

Bring on SLU!     :lol: :lol:

VUGrad1314

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 03, 2021, 03:52:14 PMIf the MVC can keep generate competitive top 40 teams at two per year like Drake and Loyola this year or even alternating ones I don't see much reason to expand beyond 10 teams.  Ten members has some good symmetry.  Belmont doesn't deliver the Nashville market so you are widening the footprint without much to show for it. Bring on SLU!     :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't exactly call adding two frequent top 60-100 programs "Stretching the footprint without much to show for it." There is little doubt in my mind that this would increase our chances of being a multibid league. I would give up the symmetry and round robin for a nearly guaranteed shot at being a 2-3 bid league even with other realignment moves without hesitation but that's just me.

may know

And Murray's put out 3 rosters who've won games in the NCAA Tournament since 2010, so I'll beg to differ on "not much to show for it". Personally, I would be embarrassed if VU opposed them.

wh

I don't have a clue where you guys are coming from. Valpo is still trying to find its way in the MVC, and you want to make it even more difficult. You sound like a struggling small business hoping another big box retailer moves into town.

valpotx

Quote from: may know on February 03, 2021, 09:43:42 PM
And Murray's put out 3 rosters who've won games in the NCAA Tournament since 2010, so I'll beg to differ on "not much to show for it". Personally, I would be embarrassed if VU opposed them.

Were you embarrassed when we beat them by 30+ a few years back?  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on February 03, 2021, 11:39:13 PM
Quote from: may know on February 03, 2021, 09:43:42 PMAnd Murray's put out 3 rosters who've won games in the NCAA Tournament since 2010, so I'll beg to differ on "not much to show for it". Personally, I would be embarrassed if VU opposed them.
Were you embarrassed when we beat them by 30+ a few years back?  ;)

That was one of Murray State's better teams too. One that should have been in the NCAA Tournament. They got as high as 7 in the polls that year I think. That feels like such a lifetime ago. Would love to play them more consistently. Have always enjoyed it when we've had them on the schedule.

VUGrad1314

OVC Official Response

http://ovcsports.com/news/2021/2/18/general-ovc-hires-collegiate-sports-associates-csa-to-develop-plans-for-strategic-growth-and-future-membership-expansion.aspx

Including a glowing statement from Belmont's President....

Also there's this:

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1363969967830499328?s=20

WAC and ASUN banding together in football for one year means the OVC will not be losing any more schools for the time being. Also going from 12 to 10 makes the payout bigger and since it was EKU and JSU the travel is even better for Belmont... My bet is that they aren't coming this year either which means no Murray which means no expansion for the MVC... That's sad for the league because we could really use some more firepower to make our two bid status less tenuous...