• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Crusaders Retired

Started by may know, February 11, 2021, 11:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

I'm sure people will get worked up just to get worked up....I just hope they find something cooler then the Crusader mascot we had.

NotBryceDrew

I would love to see the final results for that survey we all filled out. Anyone here have the clout within the university to pull it?

vuny98

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on February 11, 2021, 11:20:24 AMI would love to see the final results for that survey we all filled out. Anyone here have the clout within the university to pull it?
It will never see the light of day, because it will likely show that most people were not offended and against the name change... The survey was a mere formality to a decision that had already been made.

Just wait until Valpo high school realizes what the Vikings used to do to villages they invaded...

vu84v2

I was never a big fan of the Crusader mascot and was generally in favor of changing the mascot. But I feel strongly that this is not the most important issue facing the university and that prioritizing this when there are much more important issues (finances during and after COVID pandemic) that threaten the sustainability of the university. Dealing with this now is akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Further, while I am not against the decision (though I am against the timing) - I struggle with how this was announced. I read the email from the Interim President and watched the video. They say that they received input from 7700 people (good!), but then only offered ambiguous terms on what those responses said. Terms like "many people" were used over more specific numbers, which lends itself to people who were/are against this concluding that their opinions didn't matter.

swiftmutiny

Hear me out... We could be the Valparaiso Kernels. It's a play off of Colonels and ties in to Valparaiso's popcorn tradition. With a sponsorship the ARC could change to the Orville Redenbacher Center, the ORC. And it perfectly matches our school colors, brown for the kernels, gold for the delicious, fluffy popcorn.  :twocents:

I'm only mostly joking.

valpo64

The Prez has to keep those all-knowing faculty members on his/her side.  I can't help think that the President has more important things to worry about than the mascot and a few unhappy faculty members.  Priorities!!

78crusader

The results of the survey will not be announced. I will bet my bottom dollar that those who voted in favor of the name change were a distinct minority.

The survey, I believe, was a sham exercise simply to provide the University with cover that could be used whenever they decided to announce a decision that had already been made.

Paul

vok22

How about "The Valparaiso Athletics Program". Would look nice next to the Washington football team.

vu84v2

After giving this a little more thought, my guess is that the ultimate decision was driven by feedback from the university's major donors. The reality is that they would never do this without the support of most (if not all) of the major donors. Releasing the survey detail would be a more effective way of being transparent, but the big money is what drives (or limits) decision-making.

vuny98

Our new mascot will be "Pearl Milling Company"

usc4valpo

Overall, I don't think that many alums will be outraged by the name change. But vu84v2 is spot on - this mascot name change is insignificant compare to more pressing issues, particularly finances, sustaining and  improving admissions standards, keeping programs strong, etc.

vuny98

Quote from: vu84v2 on February 11, 2021, 12:01:19 PMAfter giving this a little more thought, my guess is that the ultimate decision was driven by feedback from the university's major donors. The reality is that they would never do this without the support of most (if not all) of the major donors. Releasing the survey detail would be a more effective way of being transparent, but the big money is what drives (or limits) decision-making.
Logically that makes sense, but these decisions are emotion driven typically. Valpo wants to avoid negative press from the vocal minority, so they cave to pressure. It is what it is in todays age. Every company does it, so its hard to get too upset about it. I personally doubt the major donors had much of a say or influence in it.

hailcrusaders

We knew this was coming, but that doesn't mean I'm happy about it. For me, this is up there with the day BD announced he was leaving and the HLT loss to Green Bay as most disappointing days as a Crusader fan.
#CrusadersForever

usc4valpo

brown and gold - the Fighting Bowels! Use the poop emoji as the mascot. Ok, let's move to bigger items, shall we?

elephtheria47

Since we now know its being changed, hopefully they choose a cool, live mascot...like the pandas, koalas, polar bears, or tigers. Maybe we can get The Tiger King to make an appearance. But we can't get too exotic or we'll have the animal organizations coming after us. Maybe the safe play, like The Washington Football Team, is to rebrand as The Valparaiso University.

hailcrusaders

Do you think they'd dare go with "Knights" (or something similar) and actually retain the mascot and logo? I'd much rather that than "Hawks" or something generic
#CrusadersForever

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 11, 2021, 12:51:32 PM
brown and gold - the Fighting Bowels! Use the poop emoji as the mascot. Ok, let's move to bigger items, shall we?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

may know

Change it to a name unused across Division 1. That's all I ask. A name that stands out and gives us our own identity.

No Tigers, Eagles, Hawks, Jaguars, Bulldogs, Lions, Bears, Panthers, Wildcats, etc.

usc4valpo

Would this be a good time to change our colors?

valpopal

This is the first step in a three part plan to be proposed by the student and faculty senates. Next, the name of the university will be changed from "Valparaiso" because of its connections to war, death, loss, and colonialism: "On March 28, 1814, the USS Essex was defeated by British frigates Phoebe and Cherub during the War of 1812, leading to the deaths of 58 US Marines. (Captain David Porter, a survivor of this attack, would retire to Portersville, IN and request changing the name to Valparaíso, commemorating the only naval battle he ever lost.)" The third step is to move the university from "Indiana" to another state that does not reference Native Americans in such an objectionable way.   [sarcasm alert]

valpotx

Unfortunately, this means that I will probably stop giving to the university going forward.  No final decision, but in the near future, I am not happy with this move, and won't give my usual February donation with company match.  Especially including the far left Student Body President, as if it is some type of huge win for her, it does not align with my viewpoints.  I do not support the over sensationalism that this 'woke' culture is giving to words that really have no contentious meaning.  Just because one hate group has been utilizing a word, doesn't mean that we should immediately react, and let them own that word.  As others have said, you can be a Crusader for justice, or various other positive aspects.  Very disappointing.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Chairback

Sad. 

At this point sell the nickname to the highest bidder and change it every 5 years to get money into the school.

The Valparaiso Centiers. 

Then the Valparaiso Task Force Tips in 5 years. 

may know

I've found the current student president self-righteous and unlikable for awhile now. I'm embarrassed she's the representative of our student body.

Just come up with something good for the new name. Retiring Crusaders *and* replacing it with something lame would be the double whammy.

vufan75

My opinion, changing mascots because of a vocal minority is silly. This assumes a minority is driving this decision. I am bothered by the way this process went, with little to no transparency of results with dare I say most or many alums. Time will tell if donations are affected. [emoji102]

The strategy of the interim president announcing this now before President Padilla officially takes over is smart. Keeps him from at the start of his presidency having to announce a controversial decision.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk