• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Hummel to Valpo? Scott Drew to IU?

Started by Chitwood, March 15, 2021, 01:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chitwood

Indiana parted ways with Archie Miller... Could it be time for Scott Drew to come home? He built a powerhouse at Baylor but I think this might be the only job he would consider leaving for. Thoughts? Does Scott have any skeletons in the closet?

Tate Frazier floated the idea of Robbie Hummel one day coaching Valpo on his podcast. Obviously, Robbie has the Olympics this year and is still doing broadcasting. But, perhaps in a year or two, he could be a potential candidate. Definitely would be an attention grabbing name for the University.

crusader05

ugh I can't imagine a more unappealing job than IU. an entitled fan base with enough power and money to get the university to kick you to the curb when they want.

Also, does Hummel want to coach? Is he any good at it?

VU2014

I don't ever see Robbie ever leaving the media to do the grind of coaching and recruiting. He would an excellent potential future coach and recruiter but it's a serious grind and I'm not sure he'd be up for it. Would absolutely love it but I'm not sure getting a head coaching with zero experience as an assistant is a great idea. There are many learning curves for coaches.

I wouldn't touch IU with a 10 foot pull if I were Scott donors expect instant results and have no problem paying the buyout for multiple years if they aren't happy with results.

valpotx

I just don't see Scott Drew leaving Baylor.  Why would he?  He is paid top dollar, has access to strong recruiting hotbeds throughout a very large state, and routinely gets top seeds in the NCAA tourney.  Baylor is essentially the Duke of the Southwest.  Unless he just wants to prove that he can turnaround a program again, why would he ever leave?
"Don't mess with Texas"

mp91

Quote from: valpotx on March 16, 2021, 01:29:28 AM
I just don't see Scott Drew leaving Baylor.  Why would he?  He is paid top dollar, has access to strong recruiting hotbeds throughout a very large state, and routinely gets top seeds in the NCAA tourney.  Baylor is essentially the Duke of the Southwest.  Unless he just wants to prove that he can turnaround a program again, why would he ever leave?

I don't see him leaving either. But, he actually is not paid top dollar, comparatively. He actually only makes $634 more per year than Archie Miller did. It's safe to assume that if he were to take the Indiana job he would get a raise of $1 million-$2 million easily. Indiana is paying their football coach over $4 million, so the basketball coach is definitely going to go over 4 and potentially around 5. And, he would come home to take a prestige job. Baylor as the "Duke of the Southwest" is a bit strong, they're not even the most popular team in the state (although they are the best) lol.... But, I don't see him going to IU because I don't think he wants that pressure. Also, I don't think Indiana wants him because he is more of a defensive coach (even though his teams are typically good offensively), it just doesn't fit the style they are looking for because I think they want to go with a complete antithesis to Archie.

usc4valpo

Scott Drew needs to prove he can take a team to the a final Four. But he will stay at Baylor where he can get away with more.

valpotx

Quote from: mp91 on March 16, 2021, 11:08:12 AM
Quote from: valpotx on March 16, 2021, 01:29:28 AM

I don't see him leaving either. But, he actually is not paid top dollar, comparatively. He actually only makes $634 more per year than Archie Miller did. It's safe to assume that if he were to take the Indiana job he would get a raise of $1 million-$2 million easily. Indiana is paying their football coach over $4 million, so the basketball coach is definitely going to go over 4 and potentially around 5. And, he would come home to take a prestige job. Baylor as the "Duke of the Southwest" is a bit strong, they're not even the most popular team in the state (although they are the best) lol.... But, I don't see him going to IU because I don't think he wants that pressure. Also, I don't think Indiana wants him because he is more of a defensive coach (even though his teams are typically good offensively), it just doesn't fit the style they are looking for because I think they want to go with a complete antithesis to Archie.

Why are they not the Duke of the Southwest?  Top academic private schools.  Located in a mid-sized city.  Consistently in the top 10-20.  Doesn't win the championship each season, but always a consideration.  I don't see how it is too strong of a comparison at this point...
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Baylor s Not at the same academic level as Duke. Rice, yes, but not Baylor.

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 16, 2021, 05:01:35 PM
Baylor s Not at the same academic level as Duke. Rice, yes, but not Baylor.

As it relates to college basketball and general academic profiles, I think that it is very relevant.  People called Gonzaga the Duke of the Northwest, and they are #80 in National Universities, while Baylor is #76.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Ok, now I get it. But Baylor needs to at least get into a Final Four to prove they are a true elite.

bbtds

Will Mike Woodson return Indiana MBB to the top?

Thad Motta is associate AD overseeing basketball at IU.

Would Scott Drew have returned IU to the top sooner?