• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Greg Tonagel - Women's Coach?

Started by IndyValpo, March 16, 2012, 09:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

Greg Tonagel has been a very successful NAIA coach at Indiana Wesleyan for the past seven seasons.  I wonder if he would be interested in switching to the women's game.

Steve Brooks, the women's coach at IWU, has an unbelievable record over 13 seasons including an NAIA Championship.  He has been coaching for 25 years so he may not be the perfect candidate. His primary recruiting is in Indiana.

hoopfan22

milanmiracle

It would be great for VU, but there's absolutely no way I see that happening. To quote hoopfan22...Why on earth would he do that?
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

jimdandy

caroline mccombs?
abby sharlow?
christi smith?

KL31NY

Quote from: jimdandy on March 17, 2012, 08:29:47 AM
caroline mccombs?
abby sharlow?
christi smith?

Interesting crop of candidates, three good women's assistants w/ ties to Valpo. Wouldn't personally expect Christy to come back after one year away, especially w/ Purdue's good season already moving into the NCAA 2nd Round. Either Scharlow and McCombs would be nice. Don't know if Abby would be interested in returning, but it'd be nice to have her back. She put in a nice playing resume as a Cleveland State Viking and Green Bay Phoenix (the latter under Michigan coach Kevin Borseth) and has some good exp. as an assistance. McCombs has 13 years in the college coaching ranks under her belt and was a part of Valpo's great seasons in the early 2000s and did great things as a recruiter and AHC at Pitt while it was still a good program.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

lowposter

My guess is Greg Tonagel will be the next VU Mens Basketball coach.

Not saying when...just saying....

lowposter

StlVUFan

Quote from: lowposter on March 19, 2012, 05:14:31 PM
My guess is Greg Tonagel will be the next VU Mens Basketball coach.

Not saying when...just saying....

lowposter

Wow, that's real crystal ball thinking ;)

Could do a lot worse than Greg, I'd think.

jimdandy

big jump from where greg is to valpo....he would not even be  in the running
why are we talking about this?????
this is for the womens job!!!
back on task

milanmiracle

Quote from: jimdandy on March 19, 2012, 09:00:08 PM
back on task

You mean a big jump like Bruce Pearl going from DII to Milwaukee? Oh wait, maybe you mean like Alford going from Manchester to Missouri State. Its a step up, sure, but not unusual.

And I dont think he's going to be the women's coach anytime in the foreseeable future. If Bryce ever left Greg would be an excellent replacement for the men's program.

*it got brought up because his name was mentioned as an option.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valporun

We could always try to pursue Gail Gostenkors, who resigned from Texas today. She led the Duke women's team to four Final Four appearances, I think with one national championship? She left Texas with a winning coaching record during the season, but in 5 NCAA appearances, she was 1-5 in the tournament with the Lady 'Horns. She knows the game, has a fine coaching history. Why not pursue her?

valpotx

Another big program will pick her up.  Not in our league unfortunately  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Understandable, valpotx. I was just going with an available name. Considering Illinois is looking for head coaches on both sides of the basketball world, she'd probably be a good consideration there, unless something bigger opens up.

FWalum

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 19, 2012, 10:52:15 PM
Quote from: jimdandy on March 19, 2012, 09:00:08 PM
back on task

You mean a big jump like Bruce Pearl going from DII to Milwaukee? Oh wait, maybe you mean like Alford going from Manchester to Missouri State. Its a step up, sure, but not unusual.

And I dont think he's going to be the women's coach anytime in the foreseeable future. If Bryce ever left Greg would be an excellent replacement for the men's program.

*it got brought up because his name was mentioned as an option.

Much more likely scenario that Greg would be looked at for the men's position at some point than he would for the women's job IMO.  I agree with Milan that it is not too big of a jump... he would be one of the leading candidates.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show