• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo in the Polls (and the HL too)

Started by agibson, November 09, 2012, 07:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, you're right.  But whoever we play will have just played Milwaukee.

The stench will be palpable, but since we've already played them twice, this is more like a single ply of toilet paper on our shoe than a bath in the peanut-butter-and-whatzit that one VU frat had back in the (late 80s? early 90s?).
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

The YSU win actually cost us 3 spots in the Sagarin's.  Could have been worse. Detroit lost 11 spots with the Loyola win.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 27, 2013, 07:02:31 PM
Well, you're right.  But whoever we play will have just played Milwaukee.

The stench will be palpable, but since we've already played them twice, this is more like a single ply of toilet paper on our shoe than a bath in the peanut-butter-and-whatzit that one VU frat had back in the (late 80s? early 90s?).

WSU or GB will finish as the #4 seed and play Milwaukee(#9) at home on Tue, March 5. If GB/WSU win they will then play the winner of the #6/#7 game at the ARC on Fri, March 8. Valpo will then take on the winner of the #4/#9/#6/#7 game at the ARC on Sat, March 9. That doesn't necessarily mean that team that Valpo plays will have just played Milwaukee. It could be #6 or #7 who will have not played #9 (Milw) or it could be #4 who would have beaten #6 or #7 before playing #1 (Valpo). Most likely Milwaukee loses their first round game on the road at # 4. 

wh

Quote from: agibson on February 26, 2013, 10:19:45 PM
On the win over YSU Valpo's RPI rank goes from 66.... to 65.  YSU rises from 190 to 182 on the loss.

Detroit's is unchanged at 61 on beating Loyola.

Our RPI just improved to 63.

FWalum

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 27, 2013, 09:00:03 AMHere's why RPIForecast has some bugs (not Buggs) to work out on the conf tourney side:

--click "without" and you see that if we win over GB we are forecasted to rise to 62.8.
--click "with" and you see that if we win over GB AND WIN BOTH TOURNEY GAMES we are forecasted to be 65.2

Now what kind of sense does that make?
They can't possibly know who our opponents will be (unless they have some kind of time machine) so they must be figuring some sort of average of probability, best and worst case scenarios, into the rpi calculation.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

Quote from: FWalum on February 27, 2013, 11:29:59 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 27, 2013, 09:00:03 AMHere's why RPIForecast has some bugs (not Buggs) to work out on the conf tourney side:

--click "without" and you see that if we win over GB we are forecasted to rise to 62.8.
--click "with" and you see that if we win over GB AND WIN BOTH TOURNEY GAMES we are forecasted to be 65.2

They can't possibly know who our opponents will be (unless they have some kind of time machine) so they must be figuring some sort of average of probability, best and worst case scenarios, into the rpi calculation.

Our RPI is 63.  The wh-developed Collegiate RPI Analytical Prognosticator (commonly referred to as CRAP) indicates that if we beat Green Bay and win the HL Tournament (including a game against Detroit) our RPI will be in the 50-55 range. 

valporun

My thought is this...I currently don't give a CRAP about the RPI calculations from any of these websites and numbers junkies. I just want to see Valpo play in the NCAA tournament again, make it happen regularly, and see that help with butts in the seats at the ARC, and tradition building of a solid NCAA garnering program again. Once we start getting spots on the Dance card again, then I'll give a hint of CRAP to the RPI calculations, but right now, I just want a Dance card!!!

StlVUFan

Quote from: valporun on February 28, 2013, 07:36:06 AM
My thought is this...I currently don't give a CRAP about the RPI calculations from any of these websites and numbers junkies. I just want to see Valpo play in the NCAA tournament again, make it happen regularly, and see that help with butts in the seats at the ARC, and tradition building of a solid NCAA garnering program again. Once we start getting spots on the Dance card again, then I'll give a hint of CRAP to the RPI calculations, but right now, I just want a Dance card!!!
Extremely well played.  :clap: :thewave:

FWalum

Quote from: valporun on February 28, 2013, 07:36:06 AM
I agree, but in defense of the number crunchers it is also important to know where we stand against our peers if the goal is to become a program that can be chosen as an at large candidate in those years when you don't win the conference tournament or if we want to be considered for a multi-bid conference.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

oklahomamick

ESPN bracketology has Valpo as a 14 seed against Louisville in Lexington KY. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

They just love this match-up.  It has been his pick for that seeding for just about each bracket
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: wh on February 28, 2013, 06:16:50 AM
Quote from: FWalum on February 27, 2013, 11:29:59 PM

Our RPI is 63.  The wh-developed Collegiate RPI Analytical Prognosticator (commonly referred to as CRAP) indicates that if we beat Green Bay and win the HL Tournament (including a game against Detroit) our RPI will be in the 50-55 range. 

I applaud WH for calling his system CRAP. That is ingenious.  :clap: :clap: :clap: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on February 27, 2013, 02:50:43 PMthere must probably be something messed up with RPI Forecasts' RPI calculation

And I may have found something, now that the math is easier with but one game to play.  As of today:

Current:  66
Expected:  67.4

BUT

Expected RPI with win:  63.1
Expected RPI with loss:  71.8

So how does the "expected" of 67.4 compute, since it's going to be either 63 or 72?

The mathematically gifted among you have already calculated that 67.4 is the average of 63.1 and 71.8.

But we can't split the game.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo4life

If I had a guess it would be that the "expected" rpi would be the one we would having entering the game. It's predicting our rpi to drop by 1 or 2 before we take on GB

LaPorteAveApostle

yeah, I considered that, before I realized that that number, throughout the year, has been a prediction of where we'd end up at the end of the year.

In fact, all of the "expected" stats in that column are of that nature:
http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Valparaiso.html

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 01, 2013, 10:11:07 AM
Quote from: agibson on February 27, 2013, 02:50:43 PMthere must probably be something messed up with RPI Forecasts' RPI calculation

And I may have found something, now that the math is easier with but one game to play.  As of today:

Current:  66
Expected:  67.4

BUT

Expected RPI with win:  63.1
Expected RPI with loss:  71.8

So how does the "expected" of 67.4 compute, since it's going to be either 63 or 72?

The mathematically gifted among you have already calculated that 67.4 is the average of 63.1 and 71.8.

But we can't split the game.

Certain people on this board have been giving credibility to these "expected" numbers for days (weeks) now, when common sense said they can't possibly be accurate.  You have finally uncovered the secret that rather than a sophisticated calculation developed by a mathematical wizard, it's the wizard of oz deciding to split the difference between 2 either/or numbers and call it "projected."  That's why I came up with my own common sense (CRAP) projection, which I maintain is far more accurate than anything else I have seen quoted on this board.   

By the way, I'm looking to buy 1 of 2 homes - 1 is $200,000, the other $300,000.  How much money do I "project" having to spend?  $250,000, of course!  lol

justducky

Quote from: wh on February 28, 2013, 06:16:50 AMOur RPI is 63.  The wh-developed Collegiate RPI Analytical Prognosticator (commonly referred to as CRAP) indicates that if we beat Green Bay and win the HL Tournament (including a game against Detroit) our RPI will be in the 50-55 range. 
Quote from: wh on March 01, 2013, 02:46:31 PMThat's why I came up with my own common sense (CRAP) projection, which I maintain is far more accurate than anything else I have seen quoted on this board.   
I think this CRAP idea has both merit and potential so I would advise you to copyright the Collegiate RPI Analytical Prognosticator title and we will do our best to help you get it off the ground. Your goal should then be for an appearance on ESPN where they ask the following 2 questions. "What is this CRAP and how does this CRAP work?"

LaPorteAveApostle

From now on when people ask me "who gives a CRAP?" I will say, "why my friend wh of course."

Are you in search of investors?  Because I know a few people who are would like a piece of CRAP.

StlVUFan

http://www.rpiforecast.com/live-rpi.html

Rank   Team           RPI           W-L   Conf   SOS Rk   SOS   AWP Rk   AWP        OOC W-L   OOC RPI   OOC SOS
58     Detroit       0.5691      18-11 Horz  97          0.5366  82            0.6667         6-7             76             18
62     Valparaiso   0.5653      23-7  Horz  175         0.4904  26            0.7899       10-4             78             231

Both teams gained today, though when I looked at it the first time, Detroit was ranked 59th.  When I went back to it a few minutes later, they had advanced to 58th.

agibson

I was surprised we didn't gain more - but it looks like we had dropped to 66 (or so) before the win.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on March 02, 2013, 11:29:55 PM
I was surprised we didn't gain more - but it looks like we had dropped to 66 (or so) before the win.
We actually spent about 30 minutes at 61, until BYU won and traded places with us again.

a3uge

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 03, 2013, 12:28:16 AM
Quote from: agibson on March 02, 2013, 11:29:55 PM
We actually spent about 30 minutes at 61, until BYU won and traded places with us again.

We were at 61 with Baylor at 60... When Baylor lost I came back Alabama who was at 63 had taken that 60 spot without even playing a game. RPI is weird.

LaPorteAveApostle

crusadermoe

Valpo RPI   #62
Baylor RPI  #63

Did anyone predict that pre-season?

wh

According to Nolan the WAC is at this moment .0002 away from moving into the 12th position ahead of the HL.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2013/conferencerpi