• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Saint Louis 3:30 p.m. Chaifetz Arena St.Louis 12/2/12 game thread

Started by bbtds, November 25, 2012, 02:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Did anyone mention Stlvu's nice write-up of the game?

http://www.midmajority.com/p/3109

A great piece - solidly in the Midmajority tradition.  Well done!

I'd encourage others to give it a try.  I only wrote one last year, not even a Valpo game, but enjoyed the process.

truth219

I have a friend who is a die hard indiana fan. He said capo was just a big body and not to get excited about him. If he isn't healthy that's one thing, but if this is what we get....lame

vusupporter

Keep in mind that reports were Bobby was supposed to miss a month following surgery and that he came back in just a little over two weeks.  I'd be shocked if he were near 100% yet.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on December 05, 2012, 02:56:49 PM
Did anyone mention Stlvu's nice write-up of the game?

http://www.midmajority.com/p/3109

A great piece - solidly in the Midmajority tradition.  Well done!

I'd encourage others to give it a try.  I only wrote one last year, not even a Valpo game, but enjoyed the process.
:-[

Thank you, sir :)

I missed yours last year, I'll have to hunt for it now!

StlVUFan

Found it: http://www.midmajority.com/p/2071

Sorry I missed it.  I'm afraid I don't devote as much time as I should to reading other people's recaps.

valpopal

Quote from: vusupporter on December 05, 2012, 03:40:30 PM
Keep in mind that reports were Bobby was supposed to miss a month following surgery and that he came back in just a little over two weeks.  I'd be shocked if he were near 100% yet.

I can assure you Bobby is not near 100%. If you saw the lingering physical evidence in the aftermath of his surgery, you would be amazed he has been playing at all the last couple of weeks.

valpotx

Good write-up, congrats.  I wouldn't be near brave enough to do one. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 05, 2012, 03:51:36 PMI'm afraid I don't devote as much time as I should to reading other people's recaps.

Horrible formatting on that old Cal write-up!  Not sure if the fault was on my end there, or theirs, but clearly my text editor didn't agree with their parser.

Frankly, I hardly ever go to the site any more.  I was a devoted follower during Whelliston's last three seasons or so.

I love the _idea_ of the fan recaps.  But, the recaps were just one piece of the Midmajority experience for me.  Maybe not the biggest piece.  And, I found myself reading fairly few of them last season.

Perhaps I should try to get into the current season, with the teams of competing writers, etc.  Perhaps I'd be able to identify with a recurring writer, etc. and get engaged.

I think if there was something to hold all the pieces together, if Kyle did his old daily routine but without the travel, it might work much better.  At least for me.  But, maybe he's not up to even that level of commitment.

wh

Quote from: truth219 on December 05, 2012, 03:29:07 PM
I have a friend who is a die hard indiana fan. He said capo was just a big body and not to get excited about him. If he isn't healthy that's one thing, but if this is what we get....lame

Some things to consider since your friend saw him play 2 years ago:

-  Most players make steady improvement over the course of their 4 years (5 in Capo's case).
-  The HL is not the B10 in terms of the number and quality of big men that he will be facing.
-  All he has to to do to make us better than last year is replace Richie Edwards points and minutes.  From the little I saw before his surgery, that should not be a problem.
-  We have yet to see him at 100%.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on December 05, 2012, 04:08:11 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on December 05, 2012, 03:51:36 PMI'm afraid I don't devote as much time as I should to reading other people's recaps.

Horrible formatting on that old Cal write-up!  Not sure if the fault was on my end there, or theirs, but clearly my text editor didn't agree with their parser.

Frankly, I hardly ever go to the site any more.  I was a devoted follower during Whelliston's last three seasons or so.

I love the _idea_ of the fan recaps.  But, the recaps were just one piece of the Midmajority experience for me.  Maybe not the biggest piece.  And, I found myself reading fairly few of them last season.

Perhaps I should try to get into the current season, with the teams of competing writers, etc.  Perhaps I'd be able to identify with a recurring writer, etc. and get engaged.

I think if there was something to hold all the pieces together, if Kyle did his old daily routine but without the travel, it might work much better.  At least for me.  But, maybe he's not up to even that level of commitment.

It could easily be the fault of the website.  Others have reported similar, though I've never experienced words being jammed together ;)  Just odd paragraph breaks being inserted.

Honestly, agibson, some of us aren't up to Kyle's writing caliber.  I'm no great shakes when it comes to content (I don't think I'm awful, just nothing special), and I'm certainly not great at scoping out great pictures to include, etc., but the one thing I do tend to get up on my high horse about is syntax, punctuation, run-on sentences, etc., in other words, grammar.  Beyond that, one thing I'm constantly noticing in my own rough drafts is needless repetition of words and various "rhythm" or "musical" qualities of speech, though I'm no expert.  I try to clean up such things and make the writing smoother, and I've read some other recaps lately and such things stick out like a sore thumb and detract from enjoyment.  It's kind of embarrassing to see something that looks like it hasn't been proofread (I'm not perfect, mind you).

The objective of TMM9 is to encourage better writing by making it a competition, and the team captains are supposed to look over submittals before approving them, but it might be that some team captains don't have enough time to devote to it.  Each season will be an experiment and a work in progress, much like the game we follow ;)

milanmiracle

Quote from: wh on December 05, 2012, 04:10:47 PM
Quote from: truth219 on December 05, 2012, 03:29:07 PM

Some things to consider since your friend saw him play 2 years ago:

-  Most players make steady improvement over the course of their 4 years (5 in Capo's case).
-  The HL is not the B10 in terms of the number and quality of big men that he will be facing.
-  All he has to to do to make us better than last year is replace Richie Edwards points and minutes.  From the little I saw before his surgery, that should not be a problem.
-  We have yet to see him at 100%.

My biggest question would be...why is he out there at less than 100% at this point in the season? It's not like they need him to start, he's just coming off the bench. Get him healthy, and THEN work him into the rotation.

You're building for the Horizon League tournamnet and that should be the only goal. Be as healthy as possible going into that tourney. Rushing him into the regular season seems very short sighted.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on December 05, 2012, 12:20:53 PM
Quote from: covufan on December 05, 2012, 11:51:52 AM
Here is some St. Louis basketball trivia:

Spirits of St. Louis: In 2012, what did the former owners of this team receive in compensation from the NBA (reportedly)?  What broadcaster started their career for the Spirits of St. Louis?

Since I heard this one before and it's a great story about covering your bases I can answer. In 1976 the Spirits of St Louis were not invited with the other ABA teams, Spurs, Pacers, Nets and Nuggets, to merge with the NBA. In their settlement with Spirits, the 2 brothers that owned the team, the Spurs, Pacers, Nets & Nuggets awarded them 1/7 of any TV money those teams would earn.....forever. I don't know the amount for 2012 but I heard the brothers have received over $250 million and this year sued for more because NBA TV, the channel, makes money on International games and the brothers wanted part of that money too.

The broadcaster on Spirits radio broadcasts was Bob Costas.

$250 is what I read as well.  And the brothers passed on an upfront $3.3M - good decision!

chef

I remember Costas broadcasting Bulls games in the late 70's and thinking this "kid" sounds really good. I wonder if he'll make it big some day?

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on December 06, 2012, 12:06:28 PM
Quote from: bbtds on December 05, 2012, 12:20:53 PM
Quote from: covufan on December 05, 2012, 11:51:52 AM
Here is some St. Louis basketball trivia:

Spirits of St. Louis: In 2012, what did the former owners of this team receive in compensation from the NBA (reportedly)?  What broadcaster started their career for the Spirits of St. Louis?

Since I heard this one before and it's a great story about covering your bases I can answer. In 1976 the Spirits of St Louis were not invited with the other ABA teams, Spurs, Pacers, Nets and Nuggets, to merge with the NBA. In their settlement with Spirits, the 2 brothers that owned the team, the Spurs, Pacers, Nets & Nuggets awarded them 1/7 of any TV money those teams would earn.....forever. I don't know the amount for 2012 but I heard the brothers have received over $250 million and this year sued for more because NBA TV, the channel, makes money on International games and the brothers wanted part of that money too.

The broadcaster on Spirits radio broadcasts was Bob Costas.
$250 is what I read as well.  And the brothers passed on an upfront $3.3M - good decision!

John Y. Brown who owned the Kentucky Colonels in Louisville settled for $3.3 million. I bet he wished he had a lawyer like the brothers who owned the Spirits had. Or the ABA had a lawyer like the Spirits had. Never give up the rights to something forever.

covufan

Quote from: chef on December 06, 2012, 01:19:55 PM
I remember Costas broadcasting Bulls games in the late 70's and thinking this "kid" sounds really good. I wonder if he'll make it big some day?
I think he has done OK for himself.  I google chef and bio and all I get is poker stats :thumbsup:

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on November 30, 2012, 12:39:55 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 30, 2012, 12:21:59 PM
Quote from: bbtds on November 30, 2012, 10:02:41 AMI guess now he's a rambling man

if that were really true he'd be at loyola

Carter, like many, had no Loyolaty. If Saint Louis doesn't find a better coach for next season I think you might see KC hitting the road for more colorful destinations and buying himself a ticket to a BCS team. He'd no longer be a Whitesell guy.

Keith Carter has left Saint Louis even before the season ended. He's crews-ing out of Billikenland.

Keith Carter Leaves Billiken Program

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, Dec. 21, 2012

ST. LOUIS – Saint Louis interim head coach Jim Crews announced today that freshman guard Keith Carter (Chicago, Ill./Proviso East) has left the Billiken men's basketball program due to personal reasons.

"When commitments are started, you don't want to see things like this happen," Crews said. "Unfortunately this is something that is consistent and constant in college basketball. With that said, we wish Keith the best in his future plans."

Carter appeared in three games for the Billikens and averaged 3.0 ppg.

Quote from: bbtds on November 30, 2012, 10:02:41 AM
Rumors and hopes from Saint Louis fans are that their freshman phenom, Keith Carter, will be ready to play. Rick Majerus called him the second most talented guard he's ever recruited. Carter suffered a leg injury very early in the season, it got bent the wrong way. He's from Proviso East and lives in Maywood. He was recruited by Whitesell to Loyola. Whitesell is now a SLU asst coach. Carter switched to the Billikens when Jim W. was fired by the Ramblers.

http://ballislife.com/keith-carter-proviso-east/