• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Athletics Fundraiser

Started by ml2, November 30, 2012, 05:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ml2

Good Afternoon Fan Zone Posters!

I am a long time lurker on this board who wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself. My name is Matt LaBarbera and I was just recently hired as the Associate Director of Annual Giving for Athletics (actually today is my first day). I am a 2008 graduate of Valpo with a B.A in Political Science. As a student I spent time as a manager for the basketball team, as well as working for the Community Research and Service Center and as an Assistant Editor for The Cresset. Also my senior year I was involved with the VUCRU and the Student Rewards Program. In 2009 I completed my MBA at Valpo. After that I spent a year at the Wolfpack Club, which is the athletics fundraising organization for North Carolina State University. Since then I have worked at the Harre Union managing events and spent a year and half at Neulion Inc, a company that provides ticketing and donor management software to athletic departments across the country, including Mississippi State, Duke, Utah and a host of smaller schools.

Now I am looking forward to taking what I have learned at these places and helping to apply it back at Valpo! We are going to be taking a very hard look at how we do all of our athletically related fundraising, with an eye toward making sure that all our coaches have the resources they need to win Horizon League championships!

I have always enjoyed this online community since stumbling upon it several years ago, and think that it is a huge positive for the athletics programs and the University in general. I am also hoping to meet many of you in person over the coming months and years. Along those lines, I will be at the game in St. Louis this Sunday (and at the Alumni event on Saturday). If any of you are going please PM me as I would love to introduce myself. Thanks!

-ml2

HC

Fantastic! I've heard very good rings from your one of your coworkers and former classmates. Congratulations and good luck!

valpo04

setshot

vu72

I certainly hope he does a good job--it is a big one. I also hope he will be able to relate to other older alums.  We'll see.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: ml2 on November 30, 2012, 05:46:16 PM
We are going to be taking a very hard look at how we do all of our athletically related fundraising, with an eye toward making sure that all our coaches have the resources they need to win Horizon League championships!

Good to see a position like you described filled, Matt.  I, for one, have been clamoring for well coordinated, precisely targeted, defined end-point athletic fundraising "campaigns."  This check-off to a sport on a post card does not work well for me as I don't know where my money is going in that category.  I would be more likely to donate a specific sum if I knew it was to provide a specific thing.  Campaigns need to be developed and energized.  Glad you're young, because it will take a lot of long hours and endless energy to get the job done right.  Gotta agree with 72 too.  Us older alums are where the discretionary cash is these days.  It's also where, due to short-term memory loss, our good memories of Valpo past are most in focus   ;D

valporun

VULB#62, looking at what ml2 said, it still seems that even when you do send in a donation to a specific sport, you aren't guaranteed to know what the coach will definitely spend it on. It could be used on anything, because "resources" seems to be a blanket word for what the coaches can or will use the funds for, so it still sounds like you're just sending in a check, but Matt tried to used some different terminology, or rearranged how it was said in previous requests from other persons in the athletic department. I know if I had the discretionary income to send in donations for any sport at VU, I'd probably consider contacting the coach of the sport getting my donation to find out what the intention of any donation will be used for that specific season. I just don't know that I'm excited about another open-ended monetary request. I would enjoy seeing more requests that are specific to either department needs or team needs, at least so we know where the money is going.

VULB#62

I dunno, I got the impression that Matt was going to reevaluate the whole process as it currently exists.  He really needs to.  Yes, coaches should have a discretionary pile of cash, but they also need to be good managers and control their budgets like a business -- cuz they are in business.  In addition to the regular recruiting and operations budgets they have (and probably like to see fattened), they need to identify special projects that can be campaigned and funded directly.  We had a football string not too long ago that discussed the FB locker room.  Good candidate.  Of course, the HFC might not want new lockers for the kids -- actually, he appealed for $$ for more coaches.  Huh?  (Wernher von Braun, the father of space travel once said:  "You can't have a baby in one month by getting 9 women pregnant."  He also said it this way: "Crash programs don't work because they are based on the theory that with nine pregnant women you can have a baby in a month.") But that's another story for another string.  All I'm saying is that Matt has the opportunity to change a paradigm here and I hope he looks at all aspects of athletic fundraising to optimize it.

valpo84

Congrats Matt and look forward to seeing you again.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

wh

valpopal said this on VU discussion sub-board:

"A separate five-year Valparaiso University Athletics Strategic Plan also has just been completed and approved..."

If any part of this plan includes facilities enhancement (ARC rehab, new track, whatever), an aggressive fundraising effort is going to be required to make it happen.   I'm assuming that the lion's share of Matt's efforts will be used in this area, as opposed to supporting piecemeal requests by individual coaches.   

crusaderjoe

Quote from: setshot on November 30, 2012, 08:48:40 PM
Another Nep? :o

OK, I admit it...I chuckled.

Thank you for your comments, ml2. 

I am glad to see the implementation of a five year plan for athletics.  What I would like to know is whether there will be any separation in emphasis between varsity sports and intramurals in general as part of its overall implementation.  FITT was a disaster in my opinion because it mixed these two concepts in its entirety. 

Where can we find information about the five year plan?

ml2

Thanks everyone for the kind words and enthusiasm for Valpo Athletics!

I wanted to chime in on a couple points that have been raised. First, about the Athletics Strategic Plan. My understanding is that it has been endorsed by the Board of Directors and that it should be made available to the public (probably through ValpoAthletics.com) sometime in January 2013. Second, my primary responsibility is for Annual Giving, which is usually defined as gifts between $100 and $20,000 that are solicited on an annual basis for the purpose of supporting program operating budgets and student-athlete scholarships. Fundraising larger donations for major facilities improvements falls under Major Gifts. This is a common distinction used at most Division I athletic programs. The University is currently in the process of hiring an additional fundraiser specifically for Athletic Major Gifts. Between the two of us we will be tasked with significantly improving Valpo's fundraising efforts in both areas so that the department can support the University's educational mission and achieve the goals laid out in the Strategic Plan.

I am leaving soon for St. Louis, so I won't be able to participate in this discussion for a while. I hope that everyone is excited for the big game tomorrow. Also, anyone who is in the Valpo area, don't forget that the women will be taking on the Billikens at home in just a couple hours. GO CRUSADERS!

sliman

Thanks, ML2, for the additional and more specific information about your position.  I hope it serves as a reminder to participants on this board and it is necessary to secure the funds to support annual operations (gate contributions won't pay for much as we know) before we can field teams let alone dream about improved facilities.  Unless there are people on the board with the means to fund a large percentage of a major capital project who haven't stepped up to date, I can assume the vast majority of us are those in the category of people able to give $20,000 or less (and far less for most of us) annually to help the program operate successfully.  We need to keep doing that, more than we've done in the past if we can, and allow the university and the major gifts people to approach the "big donors" who can make the projects happen that we all want to see.  We've debated at length about the priorities the university should take in improving facilities (library vs. union vs. fieldhouse vs. ARC renovation vs. the ill-fated track vs. science needs, etc., etc.) but few of us, if any, understand the big picture of university financing, of which funding athletics is one part, important to us but still just a piece.  The university undoubtedly has a small list of prospects for large contributions as compared to larger institutions and I think history shows many of them have been major contributors to numerous campus projects.  As other needs get met, it increases the chance one or more of them will step up to help with athletics capital projects.  Unfortunately, it appears no one on this board won PowerBall this week.  Let's support ML2's efforts now and be ready to help with major gifts when that initiative/initiatives is/are announced.

covufan

Quote from: setshot on November 30, 2012, 08:48:40 PM
Another Nep? :o
As I was reading the original post, I knew this was coming!  I also chuckled a little.

crusadermoe

You have to love these emoticons and Setshot (aka JJ?)     

vu84v2

ml2 - welcome and good luck in your new job.

Let me ask you an honest question as a longtime alum, supporter of the university and fan of the basketball team...if I have money to donate, what should make me decide to donate money to the basketball program or athletic department over facilities and students of the university?  Unless your department finds some potential donor with enormous amounts of excess cash, this is the question that you need to be able to continually answer.

crusadermoe

Just a suggestion for ML2.     I travel a lot in my job.    I carry a Valpo luggage tag.   I have had at least 3 or 4 dozen hotel clerks or airline people over the last few years say something favorable about the Drews or the basketball team.

So far no one in Ohio, PA or even Chicago has said to me, "You know your choir is really great.....or "I like your engineering school."...or "I've heard great things about your art museum."   

Those are all important and equal parts of VU.    But the name recognition for nearly any potential sutdent or parent (not working in academia) starts with athletics.    The prior administration seemed never to get that. 

Basketball is a huge asset.    Football is getting so bad that its score crawls across the ABC/ESPN channels is starting to offset some of that good publicity. 

milanmiracle

Quote from: crusadermoe on December 01, 2012, 07:28:47 PM
Just a suggestion for ML2.     I travel a lot in my job.    I carry a Valpo luggage tag.   I have had at least 3 or 4 dozen hotel clerks or airline people over the last few years say something favorable about the Drews or the basketball team.

So far no one in Ohio, PA or even Chicago has said to me, "You know your choir is really great.....or "I like your engineering school."...or "I've heard great things about your art museum."   

Those are all important and equal parts of VU.    But the name recognition for nearly any potential sutdent or parent (not working in academia) starts with athletics.    The prior administration seemed never to get that. 

Basketball is a huge asset.    Football is getting so bad that its score crawls across the ABC/ESPN channels is starting to offset some of that good publicity. 

WOW!!! Somebody who gets it. You athletic programs are your brand image, like it or don't! That's one of the best posts ever on this board! You can google all the interest in Butler after their Final 4 runs, including enrollment and donations. They're doing a 16 million dollar (approximately) renovation on Hinkle Fieldhouse, of which they've already raised about 12 million.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/blog/morning_call/2012/11/12-million-campaign-will-refurbish.html

And facilities matter...

"You all know one of our guards is Rotnei Clark and he transferred here from a BCS school," Stevens told the crowd gathered inside the cavernous building. "One of the things that he really hesitated about with Butler was that we only had one cold tub. Think about that, we almost lost a big recruit because we had only one cold tub."
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpotx

Definitely correct.  Much more of the population will hear of your athletic achievements versus academic, which in turn will generate interest in your academics.  How many people truly know that Cal Tech or Carnegie Mellon are great schools?  Only those people that are solely focused on academics.  When we are on national TV and the announcers tout our academic programs, then people notice much more than simple articles or ratings...
"Don't mess with Texas"

vufan75

Quote from: milanmiracle on December 04, 2012, 10:46:42 AM
Quote from: crusadermoe on December 01, 2012, 07:28:47 PM

Those are all important and equal parts of VU.    But the name recognition for nearly any potential student or parent (not working in academia) starts with athletics.    The prior administration seemed never to get that. 

WOW!!! Somebody who gets it. You athletic programs are your brand image, like it or don't! That's one of the best posts ever on this board! You can google all the interest in Butler after their Final 4 runs, including enrollment and donations. They're doing a 16 million dollar (approximately) renovation on Hinkle Fieldhouse, of which they've already raised about 12 million.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/blog/morning_call/2012/11/12-million-campaign-will-refurbish.html

And facilities matter...

"You all know one of our guards is Rotnei Clark and he transferred here from a BCS school," Stevens told the crowd gathered inside the cavernous building. "One of the things that he really hesitated about with Butler was that we only had one cold tub. Think about that, we almost lost a big recruit because we had only one cold tub."

Amen to both Moe and Milan  :) . While certainly academics are the core and feature of any strong university, it is athletics that are indeed the "brand image" many if not most people know universities for, outside of academia. A progressive forward thinking administration, which I think Valpo has in place at this time, understands this and capitalizes on it. As an older VU alum, and as much as I don't like Butler from an athletic rivalry standpoint, and enjoyed the heck out of our last 4 wins against them, the Butler University example given is an excellent case in point. Success breeds success. In that case basketball success drove increased donations by alums, fans, and probably more than a few corporations, etc. I agree with your posts 100%, and I think Valpo's administration and BOD today better understands this than past administrations or boards. With last years success on the court, a new Coach Drew at the helm replacing his father, and with networks like ESPN covering Valpo and now writing articles about Valpo and Coach Bryce, the right time to use and capitalize on the Valpo brand in terms of athletics just might be here, and hopefully we will use this to our advantage unlike following the 1998 season. Of course it would certainly help if the basketball team the next few seasons made the dance and won some games as well. The time is now to move forward, and adjust the timeframe for investing in athletics, be it facilities, scholarships, etc. I hope someway, somehow the ARC renovation, and fieldhouse project are linked and done together. I'd sure hate to see the ARC renovation put off for the 2 or more years it will take to plan, design, quote, develop the area and build the fieldhouse. Having said that, I understand that every business has a budget it has to live within. The key is to increase revenues, so that the admin and BOD feel confident in any athletic investments made.     

LaPorteAveApostle

Sigh...a university whose reputation depends on its athletic prowess is like an NFL team that depends on its cheerleaders.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vufan75

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 04, 2012, 12:42:37 PM
Sigh...a university whose reputation depends on its athletic prowess is like an NFL team that depends on its cheerleaders.

It may not be how things should be in a perfect world, but, it is what it is. If you want to play and compete in D1 intercollegiate athletics with the so called "big boys", and be competitive in what most folks agree is your signature sport, then one must either step up and do what is necessary for that to happen, or be content with being relegated to low mid-major or even worse low-major status, which I don't think is anyones goal or plan for Valpo that I've heard or read about. The three Drew's have all done great things for Valpo in terms of finding ways to win a lot of games despite limited facilities for sure. We've all heard the stories of Homer asking multiple times for improvements to the ARC as they were needed in his opinion. We may not like it, but we need to prioritize our dollars invested where we get the most bang for the buck. I'd suggest that building or enhancing athletic facilities and venues to better compete and attract high quality student-athletes is a good option, and IMO is a great way for Valpo to gain additional attention with the general population as well as potentially new fans and potential students. And more general awareness just might help with increasing undergraduate enrollment also, which the university is working at doing. The alternative I suppose is go D2 or D3 in athletics and be happy with that. 

I am also happy to have recently heard of the 5-year athletics strategic plan. Don't know if we've had one previously, but it does show a solid and serious commitment to athletics by those in charge, and a plan in place of how to attain the goals set forth in it.

vu72

There is no question that success in athletics translates to not only better enrollment, better fund raising, and better alumni loyalty but better value for graduates in terms of the name recognition.  Let's face it, sometimes interviews are determined by name recognition particularly with folks who aren't terribly firmiliar with academic reputations.

Case in point (and this shows how long these athletic successes can carry over) is Holy Cross.  Now, I think most of us would agree that Holy Cross has better name recognition nationally then Valpo.  Why?  Because the won the 1947 National Basketball NCAA tournament, led by a guy named Bob Cousy.  Not possible?  Well, they certainly haven't had any great athletic success of late and academically they are ranked #32 in National Liberal Arts schools.  They have 2900 students and a pretty small 175 acre campus.  Ranked well ahead of them on this list are schools named Haverford, Hamilton, Bates, Scripps and Barnard.  Any of thosesound more firmiliar than Holy Cross?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on December 04, 2012, 03:16:48 PMBecause the won the 1947 National Basketball NCAA tournament, led by a guy named Bob Cousy.

Never knew that, but I know Holy Cross.  I guarantee you no one under 40 knows that, nor cares, any more than they care about CCNY (which I did know of). 

I know Holy Cross because it's related to Notre Dame (run by the same order).  Also because Bill Simmons went there (and THAT is why anyone under 50 knows HC in a sports setting).
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 04, 2012, 12:42:37 PM

If you are in KC, Jacksonville, Oakland or Philly, what else do you have?  If not an NFL team, at least NFL caliber cheerleaders!