• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/12/13 VU @WSU game thread

Started by 78crusader, February 11, 2013, 07:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

VU 66
WSU 64

Going to be optimistic on this one.  Will be a very tough game for us.

Paul

valpo04

I've added the basketball icon to use to help distinguish the Game Threads.  Should help make them stand out and be easier to find.

So, in the future, whenever someone creates a game thread, please select the "Game Thread" message icon. 

bbtds

Quote from: valpo04 on February 11, 2013, 08:41:33 AM
I've added the basketball icon to use to help distinguish the Game Threads.  Should help make them stand out and be easier to find.

So, in the future, whenever someone creates a game thread, please select the "Game Thread" message icon. 

How does one choose that icon, please explain.

valpotx

I think that we will continue our strong play.  It looks like we have our roles defined within the team, and it is clicking.  I believe the first half will be back-and-forth, but pull away with a strong second half.

Valpo 74
WSU 68
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo04

Quote from: bbtds on February 11, 2013, 09:38:58 AM

Directly under "Subject:" is "Message icon:" Choose "Game Thread" from the drop down.  It is directly under "Standard."

talksalot

I put this on the looking forward thread... but it probably belongs here...
===========================================
OK, this will help with the WSU game tomorrow...
Game #26 on the year...

Over the past 20 years, we are 8-1 at home, 8-3 on the road, 16-4 overall.
HL Games...  We beat CSU by 18 last year on the road, we beat WSU at home 2 years ago by 2 (On February 12th), and we beat UIC 3 years ago by 1 at home.

Speaking of games played on February 12, over the past 20 years, we have played 7 times on 2/12... and we are 6-1, lone loss coming in 04-05 @ IUPUI, we are 4-0 at home and 2-1 on the road.

We need this one tomorrow night!

vu84v2

The team looks very solid and confident now.  Valpo is getting a lot more now from Capobianco who looks much more comfortable.  Boggs and Bogan both seem more confident lately too.  My expectation is a solid performance.

Valpo 72
Wright State 67

a3uge

Valpo 60
Wright St 68

Might be one of those games where KVW gets into early foul trouble, the 3 point shooting isn't there, and we continue to turn the ball over. Should be a low scoring game. I'll give this one to the home team, but I hope I'm wrong.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo04 on February 11, 2013, 10:17:53 AM
Quote from: bbtds on February 11, 2013, 09:38:58 AM

Directly under "Subject:" is "Message icon:" Choose "Game Thread" from the drop down.  It is directly under "Standard."

Thanks! Another thing, like clicking on the "new" icon so it takes you directly to the latest post you haven't read yet, that I have overlooked until recently. And there are so many choices:

Message icon:   Standard
                          Game Thread
                          Thumb Up
                          Thumb Down
                          Exclamation point
                          Question mark
                          Lamp
                          Smiley
                          Angry
                          Cheesy
                          Grin
                          Sad
                          Wink

VUfan

VU 74 WSU 66 We push the tempo and take advantage of our better skills and win our 20th.

HC

WSU stinks.  Valpo cruises with a 12 point win.  :thumbsup:

vuweathernerd

Quote from: a3uge on February 11, 2013, 12:29:08 PM
Valpo 60
Wright St 68

Might be one of those games where KVW gets into early foul trouble, the 3 point shooting isn't there, and we continue to turn the ball over. Should be a low scoring game. I'll give this one to the home team, but I hope I'm wrong.

i hope you're wrong too, as does probably just about everyone on this board. we've been getting great minutes from capo to spell kvw, and i think that continues tonight. i also think rowdy's overdue for another double double game. if buggs can penetrate and then kick out or get to the rack, i think we can cause all kinds of problems for the raiders.

any word on if rossi's gonna dress for this one?

StlVUFan

Last year after beating CSU, we dragged our MASH unit to Youngstown shorthanded and got creamed.  I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen tomorrow, even though I don't expect a starter to have been lost.

There must have been a reason why Jordan Coleman saw only a few minutes in the 2nd half and Vashil Hernandez saw no court time.  The latter I can understand and can see where he might see more time against WSU, but I'm not sure what the deal is with Coleman.  If Dority and Kenney have to sit out, we're going to need both of those guys just to have an 8-man rotation.

EddieCabot

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/big-week-awaits-valparaiso/article_96faca5b-8da3-532f-a9ae-ca9ffaa946bf.html

Pre game story from Paul Oren and NWI Times.  Interestingly see the comments about the long bus rides ... anyone else curious why they drove all the way back to Valpo late Saturday when they were back on the bus again this morning.  Wouldn't it have made more sense to stay in Ohio and just drive from Cleveland to Dayton on Sunday afternoon and eliminate about 6 hours of travel time?

truth219

We have the better team. I love how we think of excuses for reasons why we could lose rather than reasons why we should win.

agibson

Quote from: EddieCabot on February 11, 2013, 07:48:19 PM
anyone else curious why they drove all the way back to Valpo late Saturday when they were back on the bus again this morning.  Wouldn't it have made more sense to stay in Ohio and just drive from Cleveland to Dayton on Sunday afternoon and eliminate about 6 hours of travel time?

A day of classes, presumably.

Goraiders93

Quote from: HC on February 11, 2013, 02:59:53 PM
WSU stinks.  Valpo cruises with a 12 point win.  :thumbsup:

Wright State's 5 under class men played more sound ball at valpo than they did in front of a pretty good crowd against a senior laden team.  Probably cause they're used to 2000 being in the gym. Happens to our guys too. But I think the raiders come out with a fire in their bellies after the upsetting previous home stand. Rolling after completing the home and away Wisconsin sweep. Not sure if You guys are aware of our recent change in starters, but it's a different look, changes momentum.

Any of you making the trip down?
Raiders 62
Valpo 58

Hope I don't eat my words ;)  No question it will be a good game.

sliman

Without knowing what time the team left for Dayton, I'm not sure how many classes the guys were able to attend today.  I believe the NCAA mandates that players have at least one day off per week while school is in session.  It's possible that Sunday was the day off which enables the team to practice all three days after returning from Dayton in preparation for Detroit.

wh

Quote from: truth219 on February 11, 2013, 08:00:04 PM
We have the better team. I love how we think of excuses for reasons why we could lose rather than reasons why we should win.

Beginning with the Cory Johnson Brandon Wood led teams we have had several players whose "feelings" greatly influence how they perform.  I don't feel good about tomorrow at all after reading the Oren article.  Seems to be a lot of "bad karma" right now.

truth219

I bet we come out and embarras them

truth219

On a positive note, dority is playing tomorrow. That's from a good sorce

StlVUFan

Quote from: truth219 on February 11, 2013, 08:00:04 PM
If we only have 7 healthy bodies for some reason, that will prove to be an overly harsh assessment.  I saw mentions of reality.  You chose to interpret them as excuses.  I didn't read them that way.  I think you are projecting.

It's one thing to expect toughness.  It's another thing to act like they are super-human.

We will see tomorrow.  By the way, I'll believe Alex Rossi when I see him on the court.  Right now, I'm prepared to believe he's not playing.  If Dority plays, that may mean a lot.  If Coleman's not playing against CSU was merely because of the matchup that would be good too.  Maybe Bryce goes big and Fernandez plays with Capo/Van Wijk.  But if Dority and Kenney are both unavailable and something's wrong with Coleman, we are down to 7 healthy bodies, and that is a handicap.  I expect those 7 to play tough, but I don't expect miracles, for crying out loud.  WSU is going to know we are vulnerable, and they are going to attack.

One thing tomorrow night won't be is dull.

wh

Our swan dive of 2 years ago began about now with eerily similar circumstances - back injuries, sprains, recurring (and recurring, and recurring) flu, and road fatigue.  As much as Bryce refuses to think more than one game ahead, I wish he would refuse to talk about illness and injuries.   

historyman

Quote from: wh on February 12, 2013, 02:50:22 AM Our swan dive of 2 years ago began about now with eerily similar circumstances - back injuries, sprains, recurring (and recurring, and recurring) flu, and road fatigue.  As much as Bryce refuses to think more than one game ahead, I wish he would refuse to talk about illness and injuries.

I agree. Time to stop the talk of long bus rides and injuries. Just shut up about them. Billy Donlon isn't talking about long bus rides or injuries. Wright State had a long bus ride from Milwaukee back to Dayton Saturday night.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Big D

Quote from: historyman on February 12, 2013, 06:02:11 AM
Quote from: wh on February 12, 2013, 02:50:22 AMI agree. Time to stop the talk of long bus rides and injuries. Just shut up about them. Billy Donlon isn't talking about long bus rides or injuries. Wright State had a long bus ride from Milwaukee back to Dayton Saturday night.
Wright State flew back to Dayton from Milwaukee