• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/12/13 VU @WSU game thread

Started by 78crusader, February 11, 2013, 07:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

This article from this mornings Post-Trib indicates we may be getting more healthy. LaVonte is feeling "much better" as is Ryan.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/18168422-419/valpo-men-getting-close-to-horizon-league-crown.html
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

agibson, I don't think the day of classes is the reason for Valpo returning to campus late Saturday night, since they were leaving for Dayton yesterday morning. All I can think is getting the guys some rest in their own beds with meals either in their apartments or at the campus cafeterias again. Why spend so much money to sleep in hotel beds, which can be the most uncomfortable, just for convenience of being on the road and not sitting in cramped buses? In fact, if cramped buses are a major problem, why doesn't Bryce work on getting a fundrasing campaign put together to get a charter bus made for the basketball team to comfortably fit with the proper leg room, sitting heighth for our players to feel good over a 5-6 hour bus ride to Cleveland or Dayton and Green Bay?

Valpo89

Quote from: wh on February 12, 2013, 02:50:22 AM
Our swan dive of 2 years ago began about now with eerily similar circumstances - back injuries, sprains, recurring (and recurring, and recurring) flu, and road fatigue.  As much as Bryce refuses to think more than one game ahead, I wish he would refuse to talk about illness and injuries.   
If Bryce didn't talk about his injuries, you guys would all be encouraging the "beat writers" to start asking health-related questions.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 12, 2013, 10:44:48 AMIf Bryce didn't talk about his injuries, you guys would all be encouraging the "beat writers" to start asking health-related questions.

+1
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 12, 2013, 10:44:48 AMIf Bryce didn't talk about his injuries, you guys would all be encouraging the "beat writers" to start asking health-related questions.

Excellent point, Valpo89. I understand Dority, Kenney, and Rossi participated in a light practice today. I expect Dority and Kenney to give it a go at game time.

EddieCabot

Quote from: valporun on February 12, 2013, 10:43:23 AM
agibson, I don't think the day of classes is the reason for Valpo returning to campus late Saturday night, since they were leaving for Dayton yesterday morning. All I can think is getting the guys some rest in their own beds with meals either in their apartments or at the campus cafeterias again. Why spend so much money to sleep in hotel beds, which can be the most uncomfortable, just for convenience of being on the road and not sitting in cramped buses? In fact, if cramped buses are a major problem, why doesn't Bryce work on getting a fundrasing campaign put together to get a charter bus made for the basketball team to comfortably fit with the proper leg room, sitting heigth for our players to feel good over a 5-6 hour bus ride to Cleveland or Dayton and Green Bay?

I was just asking the question, since Bryce seemed to make a huge deal about all the bus time.  If it was really a big concern, seems like staying in Ohio would have been an option.  Maybe pgmado or chef can provide the rationale or tell us if staying in Ohio was ever considered?  I assume that Bryce makes that decision, but given all the comments about it, maybe he wanted to stay in Ohio and was overruled by the University?

wh

Quote from: EddieCabot on February 12, 2013, 11:30:36 AM
Quote from: valporun on February 12, 2013, 10:43:23 AM
agibson, I don't think the day of classes is the reason for Valpo returning to campus late Saturday night, since they were leaving for Dayton yesterday morning. All I can think is getting the guys some rest in their own beds with meals either in their apartments or at the campus cafeterias again. Why spend so much money to sleep in hotel beds, which can be the most uncomfortable, just for convenience of being on the road and not sitting in cramped buses? In fact, if cramped buses are a major problem, why doesn't Bryce work on getting a fundrasing campaign put together to get a charter bus made for the basketball team to comfortably fit with the proper leg room, sitting heigth for our players to feel good over a 5-6 hour bus ride to Cleveland or Dayton and Green Bay?

I was just asking the question, since Bryce seemed to make a huge deal about all the bus time.  If it was really a big concern, seems like staying in Ohio would have been an option.  Maybe pgmado or chef can provide the rationale or tell us if staying in Ohio was ever considered?  I assume that Bryce makes that decision, but given all the comments about it, maybe he wanted to stay in Ohio and was overruled by the University?

Talking about who's hurt and who's sick is not what bothers me.  It's this:

"We got guys with some injuries that were on the bus for 10 hours two days ago and then almost four and a half hours today," Drew said. "That's almost 15 hours. I think travel catches up with you at some point. When that point is, you never know."

That sounds an awful lot like getting your excuse ready.  Instead, how about something like:

"Everyone in the league has to deal with injuries and travel weariness.  The best teams find a way to fight through through those things.  We have an experienced team that has been through this before.  We'll be fine." 

covufan

This will be a tough game, but we hit the boards and FTs in the second half and prevail.

Valpo  -  74
WSU   -  69

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: sliman on February 11, 2013, 08:25:23 PMthe NCAA mandates that players have at least one day off per week while school is in session.  It's possible that Sunday was the day off which enables the team to practice all three days after returning from Dayton in preparation for Detroit.

eddie, if you'd read this above.  bryce is, like Homer, pretty serious about giving kids the Sabbath off...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

It's one thing to wonder why Rossi isn't playing at all and why and another thing to know about every ache and pain that seems to pre-set an excuse for losing.

EddieCabot

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 12, 2013, 12:50:43 PM
Quote from: sliman on February 11, 2013, 08:25:23 PMthe NCAA mandates that players have at least one day off per week while school is in session.  It's possible that Sunday was the day off which enables the team to practice all three days after returning from Dayton in preparation for Detroit.

eddie, if you'd read this above.  bryce is, like Homer, pretty serious about giving kids the Sabbath off...

I guess that could be why they drove back, but per Paul Oren's twitter feed yesterday, he seems to indicate they did practice a bit on Sunday.

"Paul Oren‏@NWIOren
Team didn't practice much Sunday and won't do much tonight either. Drew: "If we have to choose, we'll choose to have guys play. Like both""

I really don't care and you certainly know the program better than me.  Sounds like the travel was unavoidable.

truth219

Espn has wsu by 1. Which I guess I could have seen coming. If we come out shooting like we've been we could win by 20.

crusadermoe

Valpo playing great suffocating D in first half.      Offense pretty mediocre with a few unforced turnovers.
We could have stepped on their throat and kept the lead when we were up at 11.   But in the last minute Buggs did some bizarre kind of move, pivoted, and threw it out of bounds.   Wright St came back with a rare 3 and now our lead at the half is 6.   

truth219

So far we look good. Glad to see kvw get it going. Gotta keep the bigs out of foul trouble. Ryan hasn't gotten much going but as a unit we look better than wsu.

oklahomamick

Ryan hasn't recieved any breathing room.  Glade we still up by 8 with 16 minutes to go.  I gave up a big mardi gras parade for this.  Go Valpo!
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Tight game.  Two of the best teams in HL going at it. 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Intense game.  Very physical.  Wright State doing better on offensive, winning one-on-one against KVW.  Going to be close.

Valpo not looking great at offensive - but I'd be happy with a gritty, road win.

You hate to blow a big lead.  But, this is a game we easily could have lost - coming into it.  And that we could easily lose now, late.

If we come away with it, I'll be happy.  Gotta hit the FT's.  (Great for both teams, so far.  Rowdy with one of our only misses.)

StlVUFan

16 turnovers is sub-optimal, but for the most part, this has been a very resilient performance, especially given the sub-par officiating (which both teams can complain about)

VULB#62

(From a football OG/ILB perspecive) WSU has to be given credit for denying the 3 .   Very nice win in a hostile environment (but aren't they all?).

Doesn't this give us a tie for the HL regular championship?

I also watched Rowdy throughout the second half.  He was in no rush to demand the ball.  He played within the system the whole way.  If I were  Koala I'd be plenty proud.

agibson

And that's why centers don't bring the ball up the court.

ValpoHoops

Not the prettiest, but it's a win, a road win, a conference win...that's all that really matters.

LaPorteAveApostle

Let's not overlook the fact that we never let them take the lead.

On the road. 

Against a contender.

That is impressive.  Even to my buddy Truth ;)

talksalot

Outstanding!  Great game from Kenney and KVW...Enjoy the bus ride home guys.... wake up tomorrow and it will be time for Major Rath to take on the Mini Rath...

agibson

Giving away a lead that big, it sure doesn't _feel_ like we led every step of the way.  But, a win on the road is a good win. 

Go Valpo!

VULB#62

I also watched Rowdy throughout the second half.  He was in no rush to demand the ball.  He played within the system the whole way.  If I were  Koala I'd be plenty proud.

Unlike certain teams  northwest ol the motor city that would press the issue (heh, heh).

I like that Bryce and Rowdy don't ever feel that stats supersede team results.