• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/12/13 VU @WSU game thread

Started by 78crusader, February 11, 2013, 07:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on February 12, 2013, 08:03:43 PM
And that's why centers don't bring the ball up the court.

in kevin's defense, that was less of a palming than almost any pg is guilty of on any given possession.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 12, 2013, 08:03:24 PMDoesn't this give us a tie for the HL regular championship?

Now we're really getting ahead of ourselves!  I don't think we've even clinched a tournament home game yet.  We can clinch a share of the championship if we beat Detroit Saturday.  And, as Todd's explaining on the radio, we'd _almost_ certainly host the tournament. 

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on February 12, 2013, 08:21:45 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on February 12, 2013, 08:03:24 PMDoesn't this give us a tie for the HL regular championship?

Now we're really getting ahead of ourselves!  I don't think we've even clinched a tournament home game yet.  We can clinch a share of the championship if we beat Detroit Saturday.  And, as Todd's explaining on the radio, we'd _almost_ certainly host the tournament. 

per oren via twitter, if we win on saturday, all that's left is another win or a gb loss to clinch hosting the tourney.

VULB#62

My bad.  I got caught up in the moment.

VULB#62

But I must say, I really like the total unselfishness of this team.  There are 12 kids out there who will do anything to win and will share the vibes (60s term, sorry) equally.

VULB#62

We are in the HL tournament.  Let's all of us pray [or whatever witches or medicine men or magicians  do (or whatever)] that our boys are totally healthy for the HL tournament wherever it is.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on February 12, 2013, 08:21:45 PM

Actually, we have clinched either a home game or a bye (or both).  CSU, Loyola, and Milwaukee all have more than 6 losses, which is Valpo's max.

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 12, 2013, 08:43:38 PMActually, we have clinched either a home game or a bye (or both).  CSU, Loyola, and Milwaukee all have more than 6 losses, which is Valpo's max.

Ah, right, sorry.  I forgot that only three teams plan in first-round road games now.  Maybe just clinched it tonight, when Cleveland State lost?  (Or did we win first?)

wh

Gotta give Pacher credit.  He was a load tonight.  Conversely, I thought we did a great job on Darling, who ate us up in Game-1.

valpotx

Good win, and glad to see KVW light it up and banging down low.  I am impressed with Buggs' turnaround from the first 1/4 of the season.  You don't see teams sagging off him as much anymore, because he has shown the ability to do spin moves, take an occasional 3, and otherwise draw defenders out of the lane for others to capitalize on.  Even with Rowdy struggling a bit from outside, it was good to see a total team effort to gut one out.

Now on to the trashiest team in the league!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on February 12, 2013, 09:10:10 PM
Even with Rowdy struggling a bit from outside, it was good to see a total team effort to gut one out.

Now on to the trashiest team in the league!!

Rowdy wasn't struggling.  They just defended him well outside the arc.  So what.  To Rowdy's credit he saw that and that just opened opportunities for his mates. This is a very unselfish team.  And this will be the stuff that will result in a championship.  This is a great group of kids.

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on February 12, 2013, 11:24:47 AMI understand Dority, Kenney, and Rossi participated in a light practice today. I expect Dority and Kenney to give it a go at game time.

Amazing how well Matt played considering he is not 100%. Dority showed obvious signs of a bad ankle, limping and a step slow. I hope he can heal by the weekend. Given Dority's lack of playing time, I wonder why Coleman didn't even step on the court.

Before the game, the WSU coach said his goal was to try to stop Rowdy and the 3-point shot by double-teaming but sacrifice inside points by Kevin. His plan seemed to work, but not well enough.

I was impressed by the team's free throw shooting, which made a big difference in keeping the lead in the second half when they were 13-14. Finally, another great game by Kevin, 20 points and 9 rebounds in only 24 minutes.

crusadermoe

Must agree KVW was excellent.    He is so good at finishing his moves with points.

valpotx

Yes, he has improved quite a bit since the beginning of the year in regards to finishing around the basket in traffic.  You can tell that he has more determination to go into contact, rather than away from it.  Bobby has actually shown the same improvement, and no longer throws the ball as hard as he can at the backboard when being contested.  We have a really dangerous team when all players are healthy, and I don't see any 3/4 seed wanting to be slotted against us, similar to 2001-2002 when Dickie V/etc were picking us as the toughest matchup.  Hopefully we live up to that billing this time  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

It's great to see how well both KVW and Bobby are finishing around the rim.  KVW even does very well finishing through a double team.  It sort of spoils me into thinking those shots are just automatic.

So much so that I cringe when the shots get a little more difficult, e.g. when it's a point blank shot in thick traffic after an offensive rebound.  I'm always thinking "Don't do it!  Pass it out!".  But, probably they're still very high percentage shots.  No longer 80%, but probably still better than the 40-50% chance that they'd get by resetting the offense.

wh

It seems like the choice for Coach of the Year always comes down the coach with the best team vs. the coach of the team that performs beyond expectations.  Bryce certainly deserves points for the best job of recruiting in the league, and for blending high profile transfers with our veterans to form a cohesive, winning team.  He is also an excellent game coach, even with his limited experience.  That said, what WSU has done this year under Donlon is nothing short of remarkable.  They were picked to finish dead last in the conference, and here they were last night in a battle to stay in contention for the conference championship. 

At the risk of drawing the ire of the Crusader brotherhood, if the vote were held today I think I would have to go with Donlon, with Bryce a close second.  Of course, that could change if WSU were to tank between now and end of conf. play, but I highly doubt they will.  Anyway you slice it, the Horizon League is fortunate to have these 2 excellent young coaches.

agibson

Pretty fair points.  Compared to the preseason poll (http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/valparaiso-chosen-horizon-league-favorite-detroits-mccallum-repeats-as-preseason-player-of-the-year.html) Milwaukee's underperformed a little, but the only really big surprise has been Wright State.

agibson

Looking at that link, I noticed for the first time I a typo they had in the pre-season first team.  They had KVW listed with 5.2 _a_pg last year.  Wouldn't _that_ have been a surprise!  Inside-out game indeed!

StlVUFan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 12, 2013, 08:23:50 PMper oren via twitter, if we win on saturday, all that's left is another win or a gb loss to clinch hosting the tourney.

I think I can embellish a little.  A win on Saturday clinches a double-bye, and leaves only one scenario for not hosting:

1.  Valpo loses to YSU, Loyola, and GB
2.  GB beats CSU, YSU, and Milwaukee
3.  Detroit loses to Loyola and UIC
4.  WSU loses to CSU, UIC, and YSU
5.  UIC loses to Loyola and Milwaukee

This would lead to:

1.  Green Bay 11-5
2.  Valpo       11-5
3.  Detroit       9-7
4.  YSU          9-7
5.  UIC           8-8
6.  WSU          8-8

GB's record against Detroit/YSU would be 3-1, Valpo's would be 2-2.  Detroit swept YSU and would get the single bye (I really hate that idea).  UIC swept WSU to break the tie for 5th.

That's one scenario out of 8192, assuming I didn't miss anything.  If UIC or WSU finishes 9-7 or higher, it wreaks it for GB since both beat GB at least once.  If Detroit or WSU finishes 10-6 or 11-5, that also wreaks it for GB.  Detroit split with GB, and WSU swept them.

The beauty of GB tying us at 11-5 is that YSU can't be in 3rd place all by themselves, which was the other way that GB could get the 1 seed.

And with that, I'm off to the races for another year...   #NerdAlert

chef

Jim...Thanks for doing my homework. I will have this post in front of me during the pregame.

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 14, 2013, 12:02:07 AMIf UIC or WSU finishes 9-7 or higher, it wreaks it for GB since both beat GB at least once.  If Detroit or WSU finishes 10-6 or 11-5, that also wreaks it for GB.  Detroit split with GB, and WSU swept them.

I think your spelling wreaks.

Now if you were in a spelling bee some people might call it a car wreck waiting to happen.   ;D

letsgovu

Quote from: bbtds on February 14, 2013, 02:22:30 AMQuote from: StlVUFan on Today at 12:02:07 AM
If UIC or WSU finishes 9-7 or higher, it wreaks it for GB since both beat GB at least once.  If Detroit or WSU finishes 10-6 or 11-5, that also wreaks it for GB.  Detroit split with GB, and WSU swept them.

Now if you were in a spelling bee some people might call it a car wreck waiting to happen.

I believe stl was using that slang that all the cool kids are using these days.  "wreaks" is slang for wreaking havoc.  "That volcano eruption totally wreaks!"

StlVUFan

Quote from: letsgovu on February 14, 2013, 07:06:23 AM
Quote from: bbtds on February 14, 2013, 02:22:30 AMQuote from: StlVUFan on Today at 12:02:07 AM
If UIC or WSU finishes 9-7 or higher, it wreaks it for GB since both beat GB at least once.  If Detroit or WSU finishes 10-6 or 11-5, that also wreaks it for GB.  Detroit split with GB, and WSU swept them.

Now if you were in a spelling bee some people might call it a car wreck waiting to happen.

I believe stl was using that slang that all the cool kids are using these days.  "wreaks" is slang for wreaking havoc.  "That volcano eruption totally wreaks!"

Thanks for the backup  ;) but I did mean wreck, now that I think about it.

covufan

Quote from: chef on February 14, 2013, 01:25:57 AM
Jim...Thanks for doing my homework. I will have this post in front of me during the pregame.
Will we hear "from our statistician emeritus in St. Louis"

agibson

Quote from: covufan on February 14, 2013, 12:49:02 PM
Quote from: chef on February 14, 2013, 01:25:57 AM
Will we hear "from our statistician emeritus in St. Louis"

Nah, he's got to totally geek out and mention the message board.  Maybe by name.  Maybe with URL!

Couldn't hurt our numbers here.

On a similar note, I was surprised recently to hear about a couple of reasonably serious VU fans, also reasonably tech savy, that didn't know HLN streamed the games.