• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Northwestern job

Started by Chairback, March 13, 2013, 10:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairback

Lots of chatter out there involving Bryce if they let their coach go....

a3uge

Quote from: Chairback on March 13, 2013, 10:10:27 AM
Lots of chatter out there involving Bryce if they let their coach go....

I think it would take a LOT of money for Bryce to leave a stable job (that he has as long as he wants) coaching an NCAA tourney team for Northwestern, a team whom has NEVER been to the dance, and is a perennial bottom feeder.

Chairback

-a lot more cash
-big ten
-low pressure, low expectations
-close to home and mom and dad

milanmiracle

Quote from: Chairback on March 13, 2013, 10:37:19 AM
-a lot more cash
-big ten
-low pressure, low expectations
-close to home and mom and dad

And it would be "his" program if he could get them to the dance. Since they've never been there before...all because of Bryce!
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LaPorteAveApostle

If cash were what he were really after, fine.

But one of the differences between Scott and Bryce is that Bryce made about 8 million in the pros, so Scott could certainly not be blamed for taking more salary, and Bryce has thus far shown he's not chasing money (or he'd be wrapping up a European career this spring).  Another is that Bryce is a Valpo kid through and through, while Scott came to Valpo as an adult.

How many of us would not take the chance to do what we're doing except make 5 times more at it?

Bryce is a little different, because while he is exceptionally competitive, he has always been concerned with "what does the Lord want of me?" 

Another note people often don't think of, and I didn't either--until I heard Mrs. Nick Saban on the subject--is "what does *my wife* want?"  (She has family as well, while we're on the subject.)

Northwestern would be one of the few places I would fear him going; certainly the only place in the B1G.  But how would the ivory-tower-intelligentsia there and elsewhere feel about an unabashed Christian?  (And the flip side--how would he feel about soft-pedaling who he is there?)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

MattCarter

There is one school that Valpo has a leg up on facilities.  Northwestern basketball is a joke.  No chance Bryce goes there, IMO.  Now if Matt Painter gets the axe...
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

ValpoHoops

As long as a small school like Valpo is successful, there will be people who want to hire the coach away. To be honest, we should be happy that we have had this discussion each of the last two seasons. Bryce is a terrific coach and a better man. Should he choose to move on, it will not be without considerable thought, prayer and discussion and it will be the decision he feels is best for himself and his family. I hope he's like Homer and is happy, comfortable and content coaching at Valpo for his entire career, but I also know that at some point, we are likely to lose him.

Part of the life of a mid-major...

truth219

If bryce were to stay his entire career could he take us beyond a mid major like stevens did at butler

Chairback

I could easily see Bryce being a successful high major coach.  He is an extremely competitive person.  Money might not drive him but his competitive nature does.  That is the reason I see him possibly moving on one day. 

govalpogo

Ya know, in a few years time,  I really wouldn't mind having Coach Diebler running the sidelines if Bryce discerned it was time to move on.   Even as a player he seemed to be part coach.

Valposter

Quote from: MattCarter on March 13, 2013, 10:57:53 AM
There is one school that Valpo has a leg up on facilities.  Northwestern basketball is a joke.  No chance Bryce goes there, IMO.  Now if Matt Painter gets the axe...

Totally agree.  If Bryce moves on it will not be Northwestern for all of the reasons mentioned by Carter and Apostle.
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

valpotx

I still don't see Bryce leaving until he sees what he has next year.  If these recruits bond and play well together, he will stay at least 2-3 more years to see them out
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

After reading the USAToday article in the other post, I can't help but agree that it would take a special combination of incentives to get him to move on right now.  One of those incentives, IMO, would have be related to his strong Christian faith.

milanmiracle

Quote from: truth219 on March 13, 2013, 11:10:32 AM
If bryce were to stay his entire career could he take us beyond a mid major like stevens did at butler

Let's be real, there are a lot of built in advantages that Butler has that Valpo does not.

Indianapolis vs. Valparaiso
Hinkle vs. ARC
MyIndyTV vs. crickets

What Butler did was great, but being honest, they had too many other things in place when they decided to upgrade their status. Bigger market, better facility, and regional television coverage. What more could you ask for? When presented with the opportunity to upgrade their program, they ran with the opportunity. Valpo had that chance once, and they let it slip past them. 4 years ago would you have ever imagined Butler in the Big East? It's about to happen...

"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

milanmiracle

Quote from: govalpogo on March 13, 2013, 11:23:52 AM
Ya know, in a few years time,  I really wouldn't mind having Coach Diebler running the sidelines if Bryce discerned it was time to move on.   Even as a player he seemed to be part coach.

Hmm, I've never seen college basketball games in the teens...that should be interesting at least. Haha  :lol:

All kidding aside, I'd way rather see Greg Tonagel!

agibson

I think you meant

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 13, 2013, 02:32:07 PM4 years ago would you have ever imagined Butler in the "Big East"? It's about to happen...

LaPorteAveApostle

An additional point on Bryce and conference expansion:  WH had just about convinced me recently that (just like my wife with the house recently) we shouldn't be looking to upgrade to another neighborhood as much as improve the one we're currently in.

But if we could get in to the Missouri Valley--for MBB, as good a one as we could in all probability hope to join--would that make Bryce want to stick around longer?

Look at a certain coach who is a hot commodity even though he's lost 3 straight to Bryce--rather than jump to a new team, his team keeps moving up, and so he never needs to leave.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

The recent Katz piece
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/9049737/valparaiso-win-reach-ncaa-tourney-not-only-good-news-drew-family-college-basketball
made me feel as much as anything I've read that Bryce _might_ move on some day, perhaps even in the next few years.

Katz is explaining why it made good sense to stay.  But, mostly why it made good sense to stay... for one more year!

So, Katz throws out "He might not stay long, but he knew what he needed to do."  (And, one could infer, that went well, he did what he needed to do, and now might be thinking about moving on...)

I probably shouldn't read too much into the piece, or into one throw away comment.  But, it is from someone who spent a certain amount of time with Bryce and the family, etc.  Of course it may also be from someone that can't imagine why you'd really want to hang around a mid-major...

Anyhow, it makes me nervous in a way other discussion hasn't.  But, hopefully we get at least a few more good seasons out of Bryce - and hopefully more than that!

LaPorteAveApostle

I felt the exact same way after reading that.

Which is why I have moved the needle slightly in that direction and am like HELP ABANDON CONFERENCE

Chairback

Do not forget ML's comment last year about a succession plan being in place.  I took it as its just a matter of time. 

setshot

Not to worry relative to the Northwestern job. The #1 candidate appears to be Collins of Duke.

crusaderboy

Setshot is correct.

Also, Bryce wants to WIN. No chance of that at Northwestern.

Wouldn't surprise me much if part of a contract extension was to take a year or two off from fishing for other jobs. Maybe not, but it wouldn't surprise me.
The Drews have a lot of allies in the national media who would gladly crank up the rumor mill on their behalf this spring.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: Chairback on March 14, 2013, 03:22:11 PM
Do not forget ML's comment last year about a succession plan being in place.  I took it as its just a matter of time. 

Any athletic director WITHOUT a succession plan and short list (for AT LEAST their top sport, usually most of them) is a very poor athletic director.

VU75

Talk of his moving up is a good thing if it provides the incentives to fast track things like facility upgrades.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: VU75 on March 14, 2013, 04:50:40 PM
Talk of his moving up is a good thing if it provides the incentives to fast track things like facility upgrades.

Excellent.