• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3/21, 12:15pm ET: NCAA First Game: (14) Valpo v. (3) Michigan State Game Thread

Started by Zoltar, March 17, 2013, 05:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoltar

Should be an easy win. 

valpo04

Thursday, Auburn Hills, MI

truth219

Your crazy dude michigan state is a good basketball team...they beat kansas, wisconsin, and michigan. To say that's an easy win for valpo is really odd

milanmiracle

"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

bbtds

Zoltar

I saw Michigan St play Wisconsin and I wasn't impress with Michigan St guards.  I think we match up well.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Zoltar on March 17, 2013, 05:31:43 PMI think we match up well.

I do too, Appling/Buggs, Dawson/Broekhoff, etc., but to answer the question in the OP

THEY DARN WELL BETTER BE BECAUSE THERE IS NO WAY WE ARE A FOURTEEN SEED LET ALONE NOT THE TOP ONE OF THEM.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valposter

Tom Izzo is Mr. March Madness........and at home no less.  Horrible draw for us.  When is the last time MSU has lost in the first round in Izzo's tenure.....ever?  I think the NCAA really punished us for how we looked in the HL tournament combined with a lack of signature wins.  I don't agree with it.  I think we got hosed.
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

LaPorteAveApostle

It's a horrible draw in the sense that we deserved a 12 more than a 14...and should solidly have been a 13.

I'm thinking they thought they were 'doing us a favor' by giving us the closest region.

...bbbbbuut it's also REALLY close to michigan state.

eh.  i still think they're beatable.  let's hear it for matchups.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

milanmiracle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 17, 2013, 05:35:16 PM
Quote from: Zoltar on March 17, 2013, 05:31:43 PMI think we match up well.

I do too, Appling/Buggs, Dawson/Broekhoff, etc., but to answer the question in the OP

THEY DARN WELL BETTER BE BECAUSE THERE IS NO WAY WE ARE A FOURTEEN SEED LET ALONE NOT THE TOP ONE OF THEM.

Do you feel strongly about that? I highly doubt that Michigan State was the lowest 3 seed, as they sent them to Auburn Hills for their first round and kept them in the midwest region. 
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vuweathernerd

this game terrifies me. about the worst possible thing that could've happened was insulting us with a 14 seed like this. if we play anything like we did on tuesday night, we'll get run out of the state of michigan, not just the palace. everybody is going to have to be on their game for us to even keep this close. their post play will outman us, i hate to say.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: Valposter on March 17, 2013, 05:36:13 PM
Tom Izzo is Mr. March Madness........and at home no less.  Horrible draw for us.  When is the last time MSU has lost in the first round in Izzo's tenure.....ever?  I think the NCAA really punished us for how we looked in the HL tournament combined with a lack of signature wins.  I don't agree with it.  I think we got hosed.

amen to all of this. absolutely HOSED. the other 14s are harvard, davidson, and northwestern state. are you ****ing kidding me??? northwestern state? we could beat ANY of those others, but to be on the same line as northwestern state is a huge insult to me.

humbleopinion

Let's hope they at least want Michigan St to play in front of an evening audience, so more of us can watch the game.
Beamin' Beacons

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 17, 2013, 05:46:51 PMthe other 14s are harvard, davidson, and northwestern state. are you ****ing kidding me???

well, i think we're easily better than all with the possible exception of davidson.

who are the 13s?

milanmiracle

Actually I'll be in the minority here, but I don't think Valpo got hosed with a 14 seed. They didn't beat anybody. The best win was Detroit? Really? 1 win vs. the RPI top 100 and you're complaining about being a 14 seed? I think it was fair and I am not remotely surprised. I have been much more surprised if they would have received a 13 seed.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 17, 2013, 05:55:39 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 17, 2013, 05:46:51 PMthe other 14s are harvard, davidson, and northwestern state. are you ****ing kidding me???

well, i think we're easily better than all with the possible exception of davidson.

who are the 13s?

new mexico state, boise st/la salle play-in, south dakota state, and montana.

milanmiracle

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 17, 2013, 05:46:51 PM

amen to all of this. absolutely HOSED. the other 14s are harvard, davidson, and northwestern state. are you ****ing kidding me??? northwestern state? we could beat ANY of those others, but to be on the same line as northwestern state is a huge insult to me.

Northwestern State has 3 wins over the RPI top 100 vs. Valpo's 1 Edit:2. Um...

govalpogo

Well friends...the world has no expectations of us...shock the nation Valpo!

valpo04

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 17, 2013, 06:02:25 PM

Northwestern State has 3 wins over the RPI top 100 vs. Valpo's 1. Um...

Valpo has 2: Detroit and EKU. 13 seed Montana has...0.

Northwestern State has an RPI of 82, BPI of 127
Valpo: 59/61

Hosed.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 17, 2013, 06:02:25 PMNorthwestern State has 3 wins over the RPI top 100 vs. Valpo's 1. Um...

Care to explain how you get 1 out of 2?

Besides, if 2 of said (NW St) wins are over the same school...

In conclusion, they aren't ahead of us anyway.  They're lower on the S-curve.

milanmiracle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 17, 2013, 06:08:54 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on March 17, 2013, 06:02:25 PMNorthwestern State has 3 wins over the RPI top 100 vs. Valpo's 1. Um...

Care to explain how you get 1 out of 2?

Besides, if 2 of said (NW St) wins are over the same school...

In conclusion, they aren't ahead of us anyway.  They're lower on the S-curve.

Because I can't count.  ;D

vuweathernerd

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 17, 2013, 06:02:25 PM

Northwestern State has 3 wins over the RPI top 100 vs. Valpo's 1. Um...

two of those came against the same team, stephen f austin. and the other was louisiana tech. forgive me if i'm not impressed. oh, and none of those 3 wins came against teams ranked closer than about 15 spots behind valpo.

chef

Valpo had 2 wins vs the top 70 - Detroit and EKU, and 7 wins VS the top 150, Montana had 2 wins VS the top 150. When compared w/Montana, Valpo did get hosed.

LaPorteAveApostle

lol to the can't count.

take a gander at this shot from bracketmatrix.  the seed is actual...the number after the conference is the average seed on the 95 brackets they survey.

we got screwed a little--not as much as oregon.  then again, the pac-12 blew goats this year.

the only unjustifiable jump is montana.  which sucks because syracuse is the only team I'd rather play in this area than MSU.

i'm slowly getting over it because I hate msu anyway.

AND HEY GUESS WHAT WE'VE ALREADY BEATEN 2 MSUs THIS YEAR LET'S MAKE IT THREEVE

vuweathernerd

It's too bad the msu this time around isn't Minot state. We'd steamroll them.