• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3/21, 12:15pm ET: NCAA First Game: (14) Valpo v. (3) Michigan State Game Thread

Started by Zoltar, March 17, 2013, 05:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smj

I like the idea of hitting the road for top 50....   However this year i think the selection committee would have punished us for not winning them...  Lose/lose.....

govalpogo

According to the representative of the committee on CBS and ESPN, they no longer use an s-curve.  "Just 68 teams on a linear sheet of paper."  He also seemed to indicate that geography was indeed a factor.   

VUfan

Well we lost the selection committee, lets see i,f this team that did not find a way to Quit can it win on the hardwood the real game, something they proved time and again this year. Last years team was 1 and 2 in the post season, this team just plays the game wins with the tools they have (Mr Buggs 22 Pt's). Being in the dance sure beets all of the other chaises!  :)

okinawatyphoon

Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

agibson

Quote from: govalpogo on March 17, 2013, 08:49:22 PM
According to the representative of the committee on CBS and ESPN, they no longer use an s-curve.  "Just 68 teams on a linear sheet of paper."  He also seemed to indicate that geography was indeed a factor.   

I don't care so much about the shape of the curve.  He's suggesting that they have a ranked list, 1 to 68?  Are they going to release it? ;)

valpotx

It had to have been a geography reason for us being given a 14, and Montana a 13.  That match-up should have been reversed.  I don't have any beef with the other 13 seeds, though SDSU is a suspect 13.  They were only given that because of their win at UNM, with some very bad losses outside of that game.  I would have been much happier with us playing Syracuse in San Jose, as it should have been matched up if they didn't consider the geography as they did.  MSU in MI?  That is complete bs

"Don't mess with Texas"

ValpoGenXer

At this point, I'm much more interested in the time of the game on Thursday.

Anyone know when we will find out a time?

zvillehaze

Quote from: agibson on March 17, 2013, 08:55:49 PM
Quote from: govalpogo on March 17, 2013, 08:49:22 PM

I don't care so much about the shape of the curve.  He's suggesting that they have a ranked list, 1 to 68?  Are they going to release it? ;)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21899662/official-ncaa-168-seed-list

a3uge

Suggesting that one game (which we won) had a significant impact on our seed is complete ignorance to the underlying problem with the selection process. Teams are ordered by achievement and then adjusted to fit in a certain geographic location. If one game shifted seeds, you wouldn't see ETSU dancing. Indiana wouldn't have a 1 seed. I doubt they care enough to properly seed mid majors, let alone gain an impression of the team based on their championship game (which resulted in a win).

vu72

To offset the naysayers (chairback, milanmiracle and setshot), remember, they will be a "home" team but the location will allowa lot of Valpo fans to go and of course the other two teams fans will be rooting for Valpo, so let's call it a push!

As for MSU, sure, they are MSU but, they very recently beat Northwestern by 10 at MSU, beat Iowa by 3 in their tourney, beat Nebraska by 9 on the road, beat Iowa by 3 on the road, beat freakin Loyola by 12 at home, Louisiana Lafayette (for pete's sake) by 3 at home!!!!!

If, and it's a very big if, we play like we did at Green Bay, we win.  We need to get their bigs in foul trouble and hit 3's.  We have a chance, absolutely.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bmlvu97

OK...so our seed sucks, plain and simple.  Most of us thought a 13...hell most of the supposed "bracketologists" (i.e. Lunardi, etc.) had us there as well...  Anyways, I agree it comes down to the strength of the offseason schedule.   Need to strengthen that up big time - for example, why the hell cant we get a home and home with Baylor?  Cant Bryce and Scott sit at the dinner table during the offseason and hammer something out?   Yes, we did have some good non-conference opponents (St. Louis, New Mexico, Murray State) but there was a hell of a lot of crap there too (IPFW, Purdue Calumet, Chicago State).  Maybe more with the Ohio Valley Conference or the Missouri Valley Conference would have helped?

Brian
Brian M. Lenz
Valpo Class of 1997

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on March 17, 2013, 09:12:30 PM
To offset the naysayers (chairback, milanmiracle and setshot), remember, they will be a "home" team but the location will allowa lot of Valpo fans to go and of course the other two teams fans will be rooting for Valpo, so let's call it a push!

As for MSU, sure, they are MSU but, they very recently beat Northwestern by 10 at MSU, beat Iowa by 3 in their tourney, beat Nebraska by 9 on the road, beat Iowa by 3 on the road, beat freakin Loyola by 12 at home, Louisiana Lafayette (for pete's sake) by 3 at home!!!!!

If, and it's a very big if, we play like we did at Green Bay, we win.  We need to get their bigs in foul trouble and hit 3's.  We have a chance, absolutely.

Note my avatar-- I'm with you 72.  Plus , how serious will MSU players take tiny Valpo?  Key: Few TOs, tight D and draining tres.  We can do all three, but we haven't done it all in one important game.  The time is now.

KL31NY

ONIONS!

QuoteSECOND ROUND GAMES
THURSDAY AFTERNOON, MARCH 21 (Noon-5 p.m. ET)

Tip (ET) Network Site Game Play-by-Play/Analyst//Reporter/Producer/Director
12:15 p.m. CBS Auburn Hills I Valparaiso vs. Michigan State Verne Lundquist/Bill Raftery//Rachel Nichols/Bob Dekas/Suzanne Smith (info via Turner Sports release)
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpotx

You should check out BWood's Twitter page...he is getting constant tweets
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 17, 2013, 09:05:47 PM
Quote from: agibson

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21899662/official-ncaa-168-seed-list

Interesting! I don't understand the at-large play-in seeds at all.

70zboy

Under Izzo MSU has been to the NCAA's the last 15 years. 3 times they did lose in the 1st round, but 2 of those were when they had a .500 record in conference (13-5 this year) They made the Sweet 16 10 times, the Final Four 5 times. A bad deal for VU - slim odds. Izzo is a very good coach - odds of an unfocused team are slim. I'd have rather played Michigan there.

HC

Complaining about our seed/opponent isn't going to do any good.  WHo is actually going?  I will be there cheering our guys on.  I hope they believe they can win more then the rest of you guys.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: HC on March 17, 2013, 09:46:13 PM
Complaining about our seed/opponent isn't going to do any good.  WHo is actually going?  I will be there cheering our guys on.  I hope they believe they can win more then the rest of you guys.

<raises hand>

HC

We open as 11 point dogs, the lowest point difference between any 14/3 match up.

GoPanthers33

Hey getting the 11:15 game on Thursday means you will be the first game up and tip off the Madness!

govalpogo

After watching the players react and hearing some of the interviews with Will, Eric, and Ryan, I have gained a new perspective on this game.  Amid all of the lament regarding seeding, RPI, Big wins, bad losses, and a host of statistical jargon, the dreams of a basketball team and especially 6 seniors are being realized.  They have spent a vast majority of their lives preparing, training, and living for this moment.  For many of them, this will be their Super Bowl, their World Series, their Stanley Cup.  They get to play on America's biggest college basketball stage against one of the most storied NCAA teams in the country. And maybe, just maybe, they can be that underdog that knocks off the giant, that proves the pundits wrong, and that reminds the world why College Basketball owns the month of March.  This is their shot, and they've been through hell and back to earn it.

They've seen their chances slip away on missed layups and unfortunate travel calls late in the regular season, they've seen injuries appear at the worst times in tournaments, they've seen physically superior teams blow their fundamental play out of the water and take their bid away on their home court, and they've felt the pressure of being the oldest team in America, picked to win their league all the while losing head scratchers and constantly turning the ball over and even coming to within a second of ending it all in heartbreak once again.   And yet...this team made it, they've clawed and scratched their way to big comebacks, impossible buzzer beaters, and have time and again dug deep and found the will to win.

The challenge before them is great, but they've waited their whole lives to try to hurdle it.  So this week, I will join in the excitement of these seniors, of this team, and of this fan base that has waited 9 years for another chance at college basketball immortality.  I will watch Ryan's buzzer beater 100+ more times, I will rewatch our games where hope looked its bleakest with the knowledge that somehow this team found a way to win.  And I will dare to dream of an upset, maybe two or three.  I hope you do as well and I remind you that this is why we are Valpo fans, and sports fans in general: for the hope that someday our "what ifs" will become "remember whens," for our belief in the underdog, and for affirmation in our faith that great adversity can be triumphed over through perseverance and prayer (perhaps starting to slip into my Easter sermon).  And if the stats prove true and the season ends on Thursday, I will be disappointed...but I will celebrate the return of Valpo Basketball and begin looking forward to the dawning of a new era next year.

GO   VALPO   GO!!!!