• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

For the old timers

Started by StlVUFan, March 27, 2013, 08:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StlVUFan

This goes back to before my time (just barely), but I heard stories about this guy:

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/coaches-survive-show-cause-orders/article_33c88fb8-95d2-5946-8db3-b0816dae46c8.html

QuoteTwelve years after receiving a three-year order for reportedly watching recruits during a pickup game, former Buffalo coach Tim Cohane is suing the NCAA in federal court over what he calls a botched investigation in which his former players were threatened with losing their scholarships if they didn't incriminate their former coach.

Cohane is now associate head coach at Roger Williams University in Rhode Island, a Division III school. He's also an adjunct law professor whose online faculty bio says he attended law school to "be able to represent student-athletes and coaches against the (NCAA)."

Valpo89

Thanks for the link. Cohane was quite a character. I believe he may have already been a millionaire when he was coaching Buffalo, and his job was basically his hobby. Crusaderboy may be able to verify that, or Chef.
Got to say one thing, his teams were tough. They may not have been the most talented team around, but they always gave VU a game. The one player name I remember is Rasaun Young, and I'm pretty sure he may have led the "dancing on the scorer's table" when Buffalo won at home against the Crusaders.

crusaderboy

Yeesh.
I see a thread titled "For the Old Timers" and I just knew I would see a response from Valpo89!

But then he has to lasso me in with him. With friends like you ...

I believe Cohane made his money on Wall Street. He was an interesting guy.

Remember him getting into it with Vilcinskas during one of the games at the ARC. The other guy I remember well is Mike Martinho, the little sharpshooter from New Jersey.

StlVUFan

I was spared his act, but did catch ole' Reg's act out in Hawaii in 2001.

Didn't I hear that Cohane once insisted that the baskets at the ARC be measured or something?

Valpo89

Great memory, crusaderboy. Mike Martinho was a little crusader killer back in the day, it seems. I'm trying to think of a more modern kid to compare him to, for the youngsters on the board.

And yes, St. Lou, I think that may be true about Cohane asking for basket measurements. I would imagine chef could confirm that.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 28, 2013, 06:56:56 PMI'm trying to think of a more modern kid to compare him to, for the youngsters on the board.

Me too, but "skinny white dude who yaps and snipes from downtown" is coming up blank.  love to know what you'd come up with...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

HC

chef

Mike Martinho was really not at all like Marshall Henderson. In fact, Bryce and Martinho were good friends off the court. I believe Martinho showed Bryce some of the sights of NYC one weekend. Could anybody see Bryce hanging out with Henderson?

a3uge

Quote from: chef on March 30, 2013, 11:46:22 PM
Mike Martinho was really not at all like Marshall Henderson. In fact, Bryce and Martinho were good friends off the court. I believe Martinho showed Bryce some of the sights of NYC one weekend. Could anybody see Bryce hanging out with Henderson?

I can't see anyone hanging out with Marshall Henderson.

valpotx

I generally like to root for DFW kids, but I am vehemently against Marshall Henderson (LD Bell HS just 3-5 minutes away from me).  He can be good, but anyone can score 20+ ppg if you shoot 20 times...his attitude makes you hate him even more
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on March 31, 2013, 12:22:13 AMI can't see anyone hanging out with Marshall Henderson.
Have you forgotten the Kardashians?

Martinho was one of the best players Buffalo ever had--still to this day, top 5, sure.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa