• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Get to know Will Bogan

Started by sectionee, May 15, 2011, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sectionee

http://sectionee.blogspot.com/2011/05/newest-crusader-will-bogan.html

Make sure you watch the video attached at the end of the post.  The kid can really shoot it from anywhere on the court (granted this is from his high school years).  He has a nice quick shot off the dribble and looks like he has good body control when driving it to the hoop.

DMvalpo18

i didn't catch a single dunk in that video. i automatically write him off as bad...

NOT. he can light it up! his highlights looked awesome.

dcvalpo

Really high hopes for this kid.  I think he will be a leader and he can shoot...should benefit us when he is starting at the point (or getting most of the minutes because Buggs can't stop reaching and is in foul trouble)

valpofan56

I really hope with the addition of Boggs and Bogan we don't have to see Buggs for more than 10 minutes a game.  I think Buggs can play a really important role as a defensive, energy guy off the bench but with his complete and total ineptitude on offense he really should never be anymore than that.

sectionee

I asked Will if the change in coaches would maybe change his mind.  He told me that it was mainly Bryce who recruited him and that "no that doesn't change anything for me".

bbtds

Quote from: valpofan56 on May 15, 2011, 09:04:30 PM
I really hope with the addition of Boggs and Bogan we don't have to see Buggs for more than 10 minutes a game.  I think Buggs can play a really important role as a defensive, energy guy off the bench but with his complete and total ineptitude on offense he really should never be anymore than that.

I say give Buggs a chance to figure out some way to be a scoring threat. If he totally bottoms out then take away his minutes. It's totally up to Bryce now. That may be the biggest change in this Buggs situation.

dcvalpo

Quote from: valpofan56 on May 15, 2011, 09:04:30 PM

Definitely agree...he would be a great energy guy

sectionee

Let's see if Erik can improve his offense this summer before completely writing him off.  If he can figure out a way to finish his drives with a score or make good decisions with a drive and kick he could be incredibly useful.  Not many guys around as quick as Buggs.

lowposter

Defense wins a lot of games.  Let's not write this player off quite yet.  Remember a couple of seasons ago?

lowposter

dcvalpo

Quote from: sectionee on May 18, 2011, 01:56:04 PM
Let's see if Erik can improve his offense this summer before completely writing him off.  If he can figure out a way to finish his drives with a score or make good decisions with a drive and kick he could be incredibly useful.  Not many guys around as quick as Buggs.

I don't disagree with this...I just don't have anything to lead me to believe that he will be a better offensive player.  I LOVE defense.  But I just get the sense from Will's video that he will play good defense and offer MUCH more offensively.  I still think Buggs will be a significant contributor, we just need more going to the basket this year and if he can't score he isn't much of a threat.

dcvalpo

Quote from: lowposter on May 18, 2011, 02:07:23 PM
Defense wins a lot of games.  Let's not write this player off quite yet.  Remember a couple of seasons ago?

lowposter

I'm not writing him off...but I have high hopes that one of our new guys can play much better offense without a huge drop off defensively.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: sectionee on May 18, 2011, 01:56:04 PM

very true. his speed is by no means common. i wonder how he doesn't get to the rim too often?

milanmiracle

Quote from: bbtds on May 17, 2011, 04:18:33 PM
I say give Buggs a chance to figure out some way to be a scoring threat. If he totally bottoms out then take away his minutes. It's totally up to Bryce now. That may be the biggest change in this Buggs situation.

Umm....when people stop guarding you, I sort of think that's the bottom.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

milanmiracle

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 19, 2011, 08:32:59 PM
very true. his speed is by no means common. i wonder how he doesn't get to the rim too often?

His ability to get to the rim is based on outside shooters. Unless there is spacing, there's just nowhere to go. He improved his decision making last year and eliminated much of the...I got to the rim, now what...moves.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

dcvalpo

Quote from: milanmiracle on May 20, 2011, 02:33:50 PM
Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 19, 2011, 08:32:59 PM

His ability to get to the rim is based on outside shooters. Unless there is spacing, there's just nowhere to go. He improved his decision making last year and eliminated much of the...I got to the rim, now what...moves.

I can't imagine this is going to get better without the constant threat of Brandon on the wing.

humbleopinion

So what percentage of 3 pointers does Buggs have to hit to make the defense stay out on him and not sag away -- 20%?  25%?  30%?
Beamin' Beacons

rlh

25% would be very acceptable.....maybe even 20%...buts as much a perception of him being a threat than his percentages.  He has to be ready to shoot when they fall off, then make a few to bring the defense back out.....I don't know that a percentage really tells the story

milanmiracle

Quote from: rlh on May 21, 2011, 09:35:32 AM
25% would be very acceptable.....maybe even 20%...buts as much a perception of him being a threat than his percentages.  He has to be ready to shoot when they fall off, then make a few to bring the defense back out.....I don't know that a percentage really tells the story

I couldn't agree more. It's not necessarily about numbers, it's about the threat. If they know you won't shoot that's a problem. If they know you don't want to shoot that's a problem. Even if you do eventually shoot, if they know you don't really want to do it, that's a problem. The mentality has to be, if you aren't going to guard me, I am going to keep shooting even if I miss because if you leave me open I will make them.

He doesn't have to be Brandon Wood, or Ryan Broekhoff, but he can't be Jake Diebler either.

valpopal

Quote from: rlh on May 21, 2011, 09:35:32 AM
25% would be very acceptable.....maybe even 20%...buts as much a perception of him being a threat than his percentages.  He has to be ready to shoot when they fall off, then make a few to bring the defense back out.....I don't know that a percentage really tells the story

Yes, 25% from the 3-point line would be excellent from Buggs. He only shot 18%, 14% during conference play. However, Buggs showed at times an ability to drive the basket. If he could do that more, it would help his offensive output and threat. However, he also would have to do a lot better at the free throw line, where he shot a terrible 32%. Otherwise, opponents will hammer him every time he drives the hoop, and he will again be a liability in the closing minutes of halves during close games. I love watching Buggs on defense, and his ability to assist improved much this past season. I just hope he can get help with hours of practice every day during the summer to improve his shot.

By the way, I was also surprised and disappointed by Kenney's very poor 3-point shooting this past season, actually worse than Buggs (only 13% in conference play), and I hope that is remedied during the summer as well.

dcvalpo

20% would change virtually nothing and 25% isn't realistic...I think he is what he is---a defensive stopper, decent distributor, and a bad shooter.  That screams back-up point guard to me

vu72

I understand that the Fernandez signing will take some time but what is up with getting Will Bogan signed?  He is a top student and has graduated.

Can't wait to see Will play!  I think he will be a real stud.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Crusader03

Quote from: vu72 on June 24, 2011, 11:48:41 AM
I understand that the Fernandez signing will take some time but what is up with getting Will Bogan signed?  He is a top student and has graduated.

Can't wait to see Will play!  I think he will be a real stud.

Is he really not signed?  I don't have any evidence that he is, but it didn't seem up in the air at all.

Pgmado

You don't sign a NLI a second time. You sign a Financial Aid agreement when you transfer. He'll be here.

vu72

Quote from: Pgmado on June 24, 2011, 04:04:35 PM
You don't sign a NLI a second time. You sign a Financial Aid agreement when you transfer. He'll be here.

thanks for the clarification.  Still, why hasn't there been an official announcement on the athletics page?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

Will says that is just a rumor and he will be in Valpo in the next few days!