• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013-2014 Season

Started by classof2014, May 16, 2013, 11:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

LAA, did Carter sit against us? I thought he was on the floor? It wasn't until after our game that he had decided to transfer.

EddieCabot

Quote from: valporun on September 19, 2013, 10:42:37 AMGreen Bay is getting so much noise because of what they supposedly return, but after all the talk about Wardle during the summer, it could be us against Nurse Rachet's insane asylum from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

I'd consider playing a zone ... Chief is a force on the low block.

EddieCabot

Quote from: FWalum on September 19, 2013, 09:37:25 AM
Quote from: classof2014 on September 17, 2013, 10:02:17 AM
Quote from: vu72 on September 17, 2013, 08:26:10 AMI doubt it.  Think "reloading".

I agree, I think this season will be more of a "reloading" type year. Yes, there are a lot of unknowns about the team but what we do know is both Capo and LVD are very good players who I believe are both ready to be top tier HL players. Coleman is one of the most athletic players in the HL and I believe he will be the biggest "surprise" on the team and will step up into the Matt Kenney role. Let us not forget we do have the biggest player in the HL in the Moose. Only one other team in the HL has a player above 7 foot and that's GB with Brown who is one of the most overrated players in the HL, he just happens to be a 7 footer who is a decent shooter other than that he's nothing special and he'll get eaten alive.

Once Carter becomes eligible in December there will be 7 players on our team that have played NCAA basketball and I can guarantee at least one of the five freshmen will step up and have an impact on this team.

Obviously this year has a lot of unknowns and questions but I would be shocked if we aren't competing for another HL title. We are returning 4 players from last years team and two that had to redshirt as well, so they know Drew's system. Let us not forget we have the 2 best coaches in the HL.
I know that it is a huge undertaking to review all the D1 schools in the country and come up with a preseason "68", but I am not sure how anyone looks at VU and doesn't think they garner a mention in the conference race.  Its not like Bryce has any experience doing this before... wait a second... didn't he do something similar in his first season?  Freshman coach loses 50% of the playing minutes from the previous year, adds in 3 transfers that didn't even practice with the team the year before, a big man who's bad back limited his production so much that some people wondered if he would even play and then the expected HL POY transfers to Michigan State.  Could it have gotten any worse?  And all the freshman coach did was win the HL regular season.  I know there are a bunch of intangables regarding this upcoming season, but I think it is much easier to see this team's potential when comparing it to the 11-12 team.  Ignore us if we don't have one of the best young coaching staffs in D1, or if we don't have a bunch of mature transfers from other decent programs, and a 7' defensive stopper in the middle along with one of the best point guards to come out of Illinois in recent years. Oh, by the way the incoming recruiting class is nothing to sneeze about either.  I think it is crazy to Ohhh and Ahhhh about Wright State and Green Bay when as a coach I would be salavating over the potential of VU's roster.

As you hinted at, I don't think the national publications really put in much time on the Horizon League.  They seem to focus on returning players and don't do much research on newcomers.

So, my guess is their "analysis" started and ended with looking at the box scores from last year's HL tourney, seeing that GB and WSU both played Valpo close, and seeing that those teams returned more players than Valpo does.  From the GB box, Valpo returns 5 points and 2 rebounds while GB returns 57 points and 26 rebounds.  From WSU box, Valpo returns 5 points and 2 rebounds while WSU returns all 54 points and 18 rebounds.

As FW points out, what the prognosticators fail to look at is all of the talent Valpo is bringing in, as well as the returning players who are poised to expand their roles.  On a side note, it will be interesting to see how much "respect" Valpo, as two-time defending champions, will get in the Horizon League preseason poll.  I think the Horizon voters will put more effort into their research than the national guys do, and as FW also mentioned, they will understand and consider what Bryce has accomplished at Valpo.

wh

Just a little reminder about things to come at the conclusion of the semester:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0QhWUd7Tv0#t=18

wh

classof2014

I believe he was Mr. Illinois runner up... Which is saying quite a bit for Illinois which is one of the most talented states in the country.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if he comes in and becomes the next Kendrick Perry or Keifer Sykes in the HL.

vu72

He looks like a slightly bigger model of Erik Buggs--quickness wise, but also someone who can make an occasional outside shot!  Doubt you'll see the sagging clog up the middle defense employed by some last year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

One more Keith Carter highlight for the fun of it - from the state championship game against Jabari Parker and Simeon:

Jabari Parker of Simeon and Keith Carter of Proviso East trade fantastic finishes

chef

Quote from: classof2014 on September 19, 2013, 02:16:48 PMI believe he was Mr. Illinois runner up.
I think Mr. Illinois would be a body builder. Carter though was runner up to Jabari Parker for Mr. Basketball.

covufan

Quote from: chef on September 19, 2013, 03:43:46 PM
Quote from: classof2014 on September 19, 2013, 02:16:48 PMI believe he was Mr. Illinois runner up.
I think Mr. Illinois would be a body builder. Carter though was runner up to Jabari Parker for Mr. Basketball.

Good call!

Smj

Only a few days till practice (official practice) starts...   Should be an interesting season.   This is the first time I feel like I know what the freshman are bringing to the team.   Watched quite a bit of game video on YouTube.

classof2014

Just one more month till the first exhibition game!!!!

valpopal

Another set of predictions with not much for Valpo, which is picked 6th.

Excerpts from the Blue Ribbon preview of the Horizon League are as follows:

Projected Standings:

• Wright State
  • Green Bay
  • Cleveland State
  • Oakland
  • UIC
  • Valparaiso
  • Detroit
  • Youngstown State
  • Milwaukee

All-League Team:

• Kelsey Barlow, UIC
  • Alec Brown, Green Bay
  • Kendrick Perry, Youngstown State
  • Keifer Sykes, Green Bay
  • Travis Bader, Oakland

Top Backcourts:

• Wright State
  • Oakland
  • Cleveland State

Top Frontcourts:

• Green Bay
  • Cleveland State
  • Wright State

Player of the Year: Kendrick Perry, Youngstown State

Newcomer of the Year: Kelsey Barlow, UIC

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/blue-ribbon-previews-the-2013-14-horizon-league-season.html

LaPorteAveApostle

This is setting up to be a great year, because under-the-radar.

Last year, as great as it was, was more stressful because of the bulls-eye.  "Noblesse oblige", as they say.  As someone above said, it's a lot more like 2011-12 where we didn't know what to expect given changes and graduation.

Let's go prove a lot of people wrong.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 26, 2013, 09:25:14 AMThis is setting up to be a great year, because under-the-radar.
Maybe I am completely BONKERS but I am really excited to see how all this talent gells. The size and bulk of this team paired with the potential of the guards and BCS experience of some of the players just makes for a facinating group. 
QuoteComing out of high school, former SLU head coach Rick Majerus called Carter his biggest recruit since Andre Miller. As a senior at Proviso East High School outside of Chicago, the 6-foot guard earned first-team All-State plaudits from the Associated Press and Chicago Tribune and finished second in the Illinois Mr. Basketball 2012 voting only to one of the nation's top recruits, Jabrari Parker.
Quotes like the one above and the video I have watched have just fueled the anticipation. Once Carter gets on the floor I think the conference race is up for grabs. Physically this team may match up with the big boys better than any since the Raitis Grafs, Antti Nikkila era.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: FWalum on September 26, 2013, 10:19:33 AMOnce Carter gets on the floor I think the conference race is up for grabs.
Au contraire, my friend!  Though you know much more than I, I think that once he gets on the floor, it's pretty much over :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

The first allowable day of practice begins at midnight tonight: Oakland has scheduled its first official team practice for 6 a.m. tomorrow (5 a.m. Valpo time). The new season is finally here!  ;D

vu72

I know this has been posted before, but I don't care!  ;)  This video gives just a hint about what Moussa will bring to Valpo, including a soft touch to 15 feet and a nice jump hook as exhibited against the 6th overall NBA pick, Nerlins Noel.  Oh yeah, he apparently can block a shot or two also.

Moussa Gueye's Journey To Alabama
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

FYI : First "Open Practice" to which season ticket holders are invited will be Oct. 10.

VULB#62

Re:  72's post.  The Moose is going to surprise a lot of folks.  It's gonna be a different kinda game from this Valpo team this year.  That driving lane  just got a tad smaller. I too am getting excited. 

valpotx

I know that it was two offensive plays, but he showed that he knows how to keep his dribble low to the floor as he drives from 10-12 feet out.  That is something a lot of bigs have trouble with on offense.  I look forward to seeing what he can do for us on BOTH sides of the floor!
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: valpopal on September 26, 2013, 05:57:05 PM
FYI : First "Open Practice" to which season ticket holders are invited will be Oct. 10.

Received this invitation via email:

Dear Crusader Fan,
Thank you for purchasing season tickets for the 2013-2014 Valpo Basketball season. We are excited about the upcoming season of Crusader basketball! To show our appreciation for your involvement in our program, you and your family are invited to the 3rd annual Season Ticket Holder Open Practice to meet this year's Men's Basketball team, led by Bryce Drew, and this year's Women's Basketball team, led by Tracey Dorow.

This exclusive event for season ticket holders will be held at the ARC in the Arena on Thursday, Oct. 10, from 6 to 8 p.m. and will include one hour of practice that concludes with a "meet-and-greet" with both teams. You will be the first group to catch a glimpse of both teams as they begin their preparations for the 2013-2014 season. A light meal will be provided. If you are able to attend, we ask that you RSVP by calling 219.464.6894 or emailing valpo.athletics@valpo.edu with the size of your party.
Details at a Glance
What: Season Ticket Holder Open Practice, dinner provided
Where: Arena in Athletics-Recreation Center
When: 6 to 8 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 10

We look forward to seeing you at this event and thank you again for your continued support of Valpo Basketball!

Sincerely,

Mark LaBarbera
Director of Athletics

valpopal

A new Horizon League preseason poll by College Sports Madness has Keith Carter on the Fourth All-League team (yes, they go as deep as four) and Alec Peters as Freshman of the Year, which is nice to see. Other than that, nothing for Valpo. I hope the lack of respect for Bobby motivates him to have a tremendous year.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/7419

EddieCabot

Thoughts from the NWI Times on potential starters for Valpo:  http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/who-starts-for-valparaiso/article_f64d6fe8-27c0-11e3-a3f6-001a4bcf887a.html

No great revelations, although I'm a bit surprised that Capobianco might play the 3 spot at times ... quite a change from the 6'3" guys (Boggs/Kenney/Little) that Valpo has used there the last few years.  I agree that Capobianco will be the key and could have a "monster season" (as P. Oren predicts) now that he'll have the freedom to show his offensive skills.

I also noticed a Chadwick interview on the Valpo website that I hadn't seen posted anywhere.   http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2013-14/12932/david-chadwick-joins-inside-valpo-athletics/  Sounds like he's another big guy who also has good perimeter skills and will be a versatile backup.