• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

"What if..."

Started by wh, June 10, 2013, 12:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

I see that Paul Oren will be publishing a series of articles about the Valpo men's basketball program called "What if."  He is going to pick a scenario from each of the past 15 years and develop a story line around 'what if that scenario had played out differently.'

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/

As the article indicates he is looking for ideas for specific scenarios.  I thought it would be interesting to post some of our suggestions here.  I'll start with this one:

What if Brandon Wood had stayed at Valpo for his final year of eligibility (2011-2012), rather than transfer to MSU?

Dave_2010

Along a similar line of thinking to the Wood question:

What if Sam Haanpaa had not gone pro after his Sophomore season?

classof2014

What if Scott Drew never left for Baylor?

humbleopinion

What if Ron Howard knew that Dwayne Wade would enter the NBA early?
Beamin' Beacons

valpopal

The biggest of all would have to be the following: "What if Bryce had decided to go to one of the major programs that were recruiting him, such as Syracuse, rather than stay in his hometown to play for his dad?"

wh

LaPorteAveApostle

What if we weren't invited to join the HL?

What if The Shot had missed?  (shudder...let's not think about that)

What if Tony Falu had been sane?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Pgmado

valporun

What if Ali Berdiel hadn't turned the ball away in the closing seconds of the Purdue game?

covufan

I know this is further back than 15 years, but what if Valpo had fired Homer Drew after his fourth season (10-19, 4-24, 5-22 and 5-22)?

LaPorteAveApostle

Gosh, yeah...today 24-87 (an average of 6-22) would get you fired 9.7 times out of 10.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

What if one member of the world's tallest team had been a few inches shorter in height?

Mommy Goat

What if they did stop Jon Kedrowski?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Mommy Goat on June 12, 2013, 07:30:17 PMWhat if they did stop Jon Kedrowski?
...from climbing all them mountains?

vubballfan10

What if Mike Rogers makes 1 of those 2 layups at Milwaukee?
What if Cory Johnson doesn't go 0/8 at Green Bay?
What if Brandon Wood doesn't go 1/8 in a 20 point loss against Loyola?

classof2014

What if Kenny Harris never suffered a stroke?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on June 15, 2013, 08:11:07 PMWhat if Kenny Harris never suffered a stroke?
Ooof.  A good friend of mine, known to many on here, surely, was one of the first responders.  He still can't talk about it without getting choked up.

I remember right where I was when I read that he had committed after his freshman year at Bishop Noll.

atkins

Kenny Harris would have been the second-best player to wear a Valpo uniform...and the best Big. 

vu84v2

What if President Heugli never signs the papers for Valparaiso to move to Division 1?

What if Brandon Wood plays his final season at Valparaiso instead of Michigan State?

Comment on the very good Falu question (if Falu had been sane):  Right before his complete melt down, that team lost close games on the road with packed houses at Arizona and Kansas.  Kansas had 5 future NBA players on that team and Arizona had a few too (though I don't think Walton played).  With all due respect to other teams, this team was as good or better talent wise than any other team in Valpo history.  That said, given what I think happened I do not think that Homer could have handled it any better.

setshot

More like 50+ years ago,but what would have happened if Don Schlundt had kept his verbal commitment to Valpo instead of opting to play at IU? NCAA champs?

StlVUFan

classof2014

Perhaps with Wood the Crusaders make it to the tournament in 2012 and not 2013. I think losing Wood definitely helped with the development of many of our players.

vubballfan10

Quote from: classof2014 on June 18, 2013, 06:36:17 AMPerhaps with Wood the Crusaders make it to the tournament in 2012 and not 2013. I think losing Wood definitely helped with the development of many of our players.

Completely agree.  If Wood stays in 2011-12, then this past season Ryan Broekhoff has to make the adjustment of becoming the go to guy and carrying more of the load.  Instead, since Wood left, it was Broekhoff's second year in that same role, and he looked more comfortable as a leader.

vu72

Quote from: wh on June 17, 2013, 10:17:14 PM
2011-2012 edition - What if Brandon Wood never left for Michigan State

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/valparaiso-basketball-what-if---edition/article_3af33ac8-d79a-11e2-abaa-001a4bcf887a.html

The article brings up an interesting question, (at least for me!  :crazy:) The quote raises the question:  Fortunately for Tom Izzo and for Wood, Michigan State offered a program in Advertising and Wood made the decision to play for the Spartans. Obviously academics are the most important thing in the decision to transfer as a fifth-year player,

OK, I understand the rule as saying that a player can change schools and gain immeadiate eligibility IF, they have graduated AND, the school they are at does not offer a graduate program in the field of choice for the athlete. So,with a school the size of MSU, no doubt would offer many things that Valpo doesn't. BUT, with the case of Moussa Gueye, it is hard to imagine a school like Alabama not offering every advanced degree available at Valpo.  Has the rule changed or is it not really enforced?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015