• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

"What if..."

Started by wh, June 10, 2013, 12:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on June 18, 2013, 10:46:58 AMit is hard to imagine a school like Alabama not offering every advanced degree available at Valpo
BOOOOOOM

MALS'd

http://gradsystem.aa.ua.edu/admin/programs.aspx?type=alpha
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Pgmado

There are a lot of loopholes in the rule. Will Bogan pursued a MBA at Valpo and Ole Miss also has a MBA, but Valpo can give a different distinction or something. It's a minor difference, but it's enough in the minds of the NCAA. All Bogan had to say was that he really wanted to study in a MBA program that had a certain difference from Ole Miss.

bbtds

Gueye could add a Lutheran theology minor?

UA Registrar: "Basket weaving, sports management, underwater auto repair (for those living in flooded areas), nope, we don't offer Lutheran theology here in Tuscaloosa. But I understand we might be able to hook you up with a program at Concordia-Alabama in Selma. We could figure out something I'm sure. It's a beautiful 80 mile drive straight through State Forest land. Did I mention our forestry degree?" 

wh

Quote from: Pgmado on June 18, 2013, 01:02:46 PM
There are a lot of loopholes in the rule. Will Bogan pursued a MBA at Valpo and Ole Miss also has a MBA, but Valpo can give a different distinction or something. It's a minor difference, but it's enough in the minds of the NCAA. All Bogan had to say was that he really wanted to study in a MBA program that had a certain difference from Ole Miss.

When Valpo established its part-time MBA program, they announced that their program would have a unique focus on environmental leadership. 

http://www.valpo.edu/mba/environmental.php

This differentiated it from the seemingly dozens of generic MBA programs already in place in NWI.  VU was late to the party in getting in on the MBA money grab in NWI, but once they did they have distinguished themselves as a highly regarded MBA program.  I'm not going to research it, but it could be a legitimate distinction from the Ole Miss MBA program, as well.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on June 18, 2013, 03:15:21 PMI'm not going to research it
I will!!!

hit and ole miss

Nope, no environment here!  At least, not the one we're talking about.  HighLARious.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 18, 2013, 03:43:27 PM
Quote from: wh on June 18, 2013, 03:15:21 PMI'm not going to research it
I will!!!

hit and ole miss

Nope, no environment here!  At least, not the one we're talking about.  HighLARious.

Yeah, the reference on the Ole Miss web page to understanding the environment in which business operates appears in some form at the beginning of about every business text book.  The "environmental" focus of VU's MBA program is in reference to the role and responsibility of business in protecting our natural environment (i.e., environmentalism and conservation).

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on June 18, 2013, 05:37:54 PMYeah, the reference on the Ole Miss web page to understanding the environment in which business operates appears in some form at the beginning of about every business text book.  The "environmental" focus of VU's MBA program is in reference to the role and responsibility of business in protecting our natural environment (i.e., environmentalism and conservation).
that's where the humor comes in

valporun

I hadn't thought about this situation, but in light of Brandon's transfer, what do we think Jay Harris's decision to leave would have been if Wood had stayed? Would Jay have seen the increased minutes, or might Homer/Bryce talked with him about what his definitive role would have been in 11-12, and would that have led him to transfer out a year earlier?

Thanks, Pgmado for this eye-opening, throught-provoking look back at the year both of us saw first-hand for five years, before I left town, and you stuck around, and then the years I've had to watch/listen online.

a3uge

Quote from: valporun on June 19, 2013, 10:13:49 AM
I hadn't thought about this situation, but in light of Brandon's transfer, what do we think Jay Harris's decision to leave would have been if Wood had stayed? Would Jay have seen the increased minutes, or might Homer/Bryce talked with him about what his definitive role would have been in 11-12, and would that have led him to transfer out a year earlier?

Thanks, Pgmado for this eye-opening, throught-provoking look back at the year both of us saw first-hand for five years, before I left town, and you stuck around, and then the years I've had to watch/listen online.

We may have seen less 21 ft three pointers missed with 25 seconds left on the shot clock a year earlier. Maybe Valpo would have turned the ball over only 16 times per game, as opposed to 21 with his standard 5 TO in 12 or so minutes of play.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on June 20, 2013, 09:27:20 AMWe may have seen less 21 ft three pointers missed with 25 seconds left on the shot clock a year earlier. Maybe Valpo would have turned the ball over only 16 times per game, as opposed to 21 with his standard 5 TO in 12 or so minutes of play.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.  We see a lot alike.

I owe you a beer for this hilarity. Cheers.

wh

I saw Jay in street clothes at the ARC prior to our semi-final tournament game in 2012.  I was amazed at how small and thin he looked. At first I wasn't sure it was him.  He looked more like a HS sophomore than a college sophomore.  Someone on this board mentioned one time that he did not like to work out with weights, which was pretty apparent in or out of uniform.

Any time I watched Jay he seemed to be completely emotionless and expressionless - warmups, game situations, on the bench, receiving instructions from coaches - any time, all the time.  Maybe he was painfully shy, maybe something else, but I never saw him make an outward effort to engage anyone or act engaged in any way. I have to admit I always wondered if he had a chip on his shoulder about something, but who knows.   

Smj

Agree with the chip....   He never really seemed happy.  I was not surprised when he left.   I am looking forward to seeing how his move to Wagner turns out.

LaPorteAveApostle

EXCURSUS:  anyone see that idiot trying to lecture Paul Oren that he wasn't allowed to ask "what if B-Wood didn't leave"? 

what a dolt.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/347555814241878016

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 21, 2013, 04:27:29 PM
EXCURSUS:  anyone see that idiot trying to lecture Paul Oren that he wasn't allowed to ask "what if B-Wood didn't leave"? 

what a dolt.

Thomas Lettich was born in 1989. Thomas currently lives in Haslett, Michigan. Before that, he lived in Boca Raton, FL in 2012. Before that, he lived in Haslett, MI from 2008 to 2010.

Haslett to East Lansing 5 miles - probably a General Studies drop out.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on June 21, 2013, 05:52:21 PMHaslett to East Lansing 5 miles - probably a General Studies drop out.
What does a MSU grad say to a Michigan Man when they meet?

Nothing.  He's holding a sign that says "WILL FIGHT YOU FOR FOOD"

FWalum

QuoteThomas Lettich was born in 1989. Thomas currently lives in Haslett, Michigan. Before that, he lived in Boca Raton, FL in 2012. Before that, he lived in Haslett, MI from 2008 to 2010.

Haslett to East Lansing 5 miles - probably a General Studies drop out.

Idiot.      Nuff said.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

blackpantheruwm

What if STLVUFan shaves his beard?

valpospartan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 21, 2013, 09:17:00 PM
Quote from: wh on June 21, 2013, 05:52:21 PMHaslett to East Lansing 5 miles - probably a General Studies drop out.
What does a MSU grad say to a Michigan Man when they meet?

Nothing.  He's holding a sign that says "WILL FIGHT YOU FOR FOOD"
Ha Ha.

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 21, 2013, 04:27:29 PM

what a dolt.

Wow.  Dolt, moron, idiot all come to mind. 

What if Thomas Lettich were the scarecrow?

wh

Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2010-11 Edition)

What if Mike Rogers made the layup in the closing seconds at Milwaukee on Feb. 16, 2011?

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/valparaiso-basketball-what-if---edition/article_70dd67f8-dd2b-11e2-aa72-0019bb2963f4.html

StlVUFan

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on June 23, 2013, 12:13:51 PM
What if STLVUFan shaves his beard?
Now that the Cup has returned to its rightful place, it would be in accordance with tradition...

valpopal

What if... Broekhoff had been named Player of the Year in the Horizon League this past season, as I think he should have been? Would he have received a bit more attention and more workouts from NBA teams as a two-time POY? Would McCallum's stature been lessened by failing to be a POY despite pre-season predictions he would the past two seasons?

wh

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on July 01, 2013, 07:15:19 PMWhat if Beas Hamga never left Valparaiso?
probably chosen because there will be no one to give him flak on Twitter for daring to ask about Beas Hamga

vu72

I would have posted this but couldn't remember the name but I'm sure some of our trivia guys will remember.  This goes back (way back) to Lubos' second season as I recall.  I had a conversation with Homer about incoming kids and he mentioned a European who had committed, and that Valpo wanted him as a "back-up" plan if Lubos decided to leave early for pro ball.  As it turned out this kid ended up being a first round NBA draft pick and God only knows where he is now. By the way, discussions with asst. coaches after the fact confirmed that the kid has in fact  not committed as of yet and obviously never did.

So, what if, (fill in the name) ended up with Lubos and both were on the same team together??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015