• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ YSU, Jan. 23rd, 6:05pm CT Game Thread

Started by a3uge, January 23, 2014, 09:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smj

I'll write more later but this is a good road win. ...

a3uge

Bryce Drew all night be like:

But our tube men be all like:

But then Capobianco be like:

Good win. Thank god Dority showed up and Gueye is unfathomably good at free throws.

VUfan

Great win they played tough down the stretch. We are  in 3ed place in the HL. Peters looks to be coming around.  :thumbsup:

wh

LaVonte is really at the top of his game.  Another great stat line and he outworked everyone on the court.  He also received a nice compliment from Coach Slocum, who said in the post game press conference, "The Dority kid willed them to the win." 

historyman

Which Valpo player was having the heated discussion with Coach Slocum and had to be pulled away from the YSU bench area? Was that Carter Jr?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

classof2014

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that this was the first game we trailed at some point under 2 minutes and won the game. It seemed that the painful early season losses where we couldn't close out a game played off. We never panicked and played with poise and hit our FTs towards the end.

LVD has been unconscious over the past couple of games. If it wasn't for foul trouble he would've been in the mid 30s in scoring if not more. If he keeps up this level of play he is a definite candidate for HL PoY. Without LVD we would've definitely lost tonight.

ARCInsider

When will Bryce finally sit Peters??????  Oh, wait....

valpopal

Quote from: historyman on January 23, 2014, 09:51:34 PM
Which Valpo player was having the heated discussion with Coach Slocum and had to be pulled away from the YSU bench area? Was that Carter Jr?

Though I didn't notice Slocum's involvement, I did see that incident as well; but it looked to me like Adekoya was the one being pulled away from the YSU bench by Carter to prevent a technical foul.

hailcrusaders

Quote from: a3uge on January 23, 2014, 09:12:09 PM
Bryce Drew all night be like:

Haha recognize these teams. Andover at Centennial girls hockey, Circle Pines, Minnesota.

Anyway, very encouraging to know we can win a close game on the road with foul trouble. Remember, it's been a few years since we won at Beeghly. Also did a good job of limiting KP, and not letting him take over down the stretch. Big game Saturday now, can really prove we're for real. Let's hope Dority keeps this up. He outplayed the (preseason) conf MVP today.
#CrusadersForever

chef

Carter exchanged words with Perry, and Dority pulled him away.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on January 23, 2014, 09:12:09 PMBut our tube men be all like:
I seriously love you, bro.  You've been on fire lately posting.

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo84

Perry initiated it by shoving Carter in front of YSU bench after a whistle for a TO. Carter was like "bro why the shove?" our guys came over to assist Carter back to the bench but a couple of YSU's coaches were getting feisty. Remember the answer is "it's Youngstown." why is that a foul? It's Youngstown. Why is it not a foul (same type of action) - it's Youngstown. ... At that point in game, maybe Chef has exact, Perry had 7 or 9, we had gone on run to take lead and YsU was clearly frustrated. And Coach Slocum w the coaching error at end. Pulled perry on D because he didn't want him picking up 5, but team fouls before clock started and Perry couldnt re-enter. Now had he still been allowed to enter by the Olympic level international officials who worked the (72 gold medal game), the answer would be....
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Smj

post game interview. ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G0cUfMV9H8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also - i think Slocum trying to sub and calling refs over should be a delay of game.     I have seen this in a game as a way to ice a free throw shooter when a team was out of time-outs.

One more thing.    I do not understand when a team can get the foul called before the clock even starts.    At the end of a game why not just walk over push a guy down so that you don't lose any clock?   It seems like a huge advantage to the team that is trying to catch up.

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpo84 on January 24, 2014, 07:27:31 AMPerry initiated it by shoving Carter in front of YSU bench after a whistle for a TO. Carter was like "bro why the shove?" our guys came over to assist Carter back to the bench but a couple of YSU's coaches were getting feisty.

What time of the game was this? 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Quote from: ARCInsider on January 23, 2014, 10:16:28 PMWhen will Bryce finally sit Peters?????? Oh, wait....

Well.....  he did go 4-10 (1-7 3pt).  On the positive side, only 1 turnover and 7 rebs. 
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Quote from: classof2014 on January 23, 2014, 10:04:17 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that this was the first game we trailed at some point under 2 minutes and won the game. It seemed that the painful early season losses where we couldn't close out a game played off. We never panicked and played with poise and hit our FTs towards the end.

LVD has been unconscious over the past couple of games. If it wasn't for foul trouble he would've been in the mid 30s in scoring if not more. If he keeps up this level of play he is a definite candidate for HL PoY. Without LVD we would've definitely lost tonight.

A candidate, yes, and definite 1st teamer as well, but Sykes would have to be the POY frontrunner right now. Also, who would Dority replace from the pre-season 1st team?  The obvious answer is Travis Bader of Oakland, who based on his conference-only numbers probably wouldn't get any votes for either 1st or 2nd team. 

oklahomamick

Skyles is a good pick.  His teammate Brown has a good case as well. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

Perhaps the most revealing stat of the game: Valpo committed 11 turnovers in the first half and only 3 in the second half. This team shoots well enough and rebounds well enough to win many games, but the main weakness that has prevented some wins and a better record has consistently been turnovers.

a3uge

Quote from: wh on January 24, 2014, 10:11:05 AM
Quote from: classof2014 on January 23, 2014, 10:04:17 PM

A candidate, yes, and definite 1st teamer as well, but Sykes would have to be the POY frontrunner right now. Also, who would Dority replace from the pre-season 1st team?  The obvious answer is Travis Bader of Oakland, who based on his conference-only numbers probably wouldn't get any votes for either 1st or 2nd team. 

Cole Darling has been terrible this year. The only the he's doing well is fouling (5 foul outs, 3.4 per game) and shooting free throws (82%). It would be a travesty if he makes the 1st or 2nd team. Even in conference he's fouled out twice already and is averaging under 10 ppg, under 5 rpg, and he ONLY HAS 1 ASSIST IN SEVEN GAMES!

Sykes definitely. Probably the POY.

Kendrick Perry will lead the league in PPG, so it'd be impossible for him to miss the 1st team.

Brown is a lock... the big difference this year is he's finally able to rim protector instead of an AND-1 creator. His blocks have increased from 1.7 to an amazing 3.3 per game and fouls went from 2.94 to 2.26. His outside shooting is what's going to make him intriguing in the NBA, but his physique (despite being 7'1) is going to limit him to being a D-league player/DNP generator. He's way too thin and doesn't have the athleticism to make up for it. Imagine Brown trying to gain position against Drummond or Howard...

I think LaVonte Dority at this time is a no brainer... he's top 5 in PPG and Points per 40. He gets to the line as well as anyone, and is 2nd in 3pt %. I do wish his A/TO rate would go up, and I've suggested many times that he'd look to kick to the perimeter when he's driving instead of always throwing up a wild shot. This is where most of his turnovers happen. He turns the ball over at 2.3 per game, but leads Valpo in assists at 2.5 per game.

Then you have 1 more spot, which seems open to JH Jr, Bader, or Forbes. I would lean Forbes and 2nd team would be... JH Jr, Bader, Grady, Felder ?, Tiby ?, and maybe Peters? Fouse is kind of sucking. Jordan Aaron should NOT have been on the preseason list. Barlow and Belin probably won't make the 2nd team either.

For reference: http://hln.s3.amazonaws.com/medias/files/301/original.pdf?1381872826

classof2014

I think a lot depends on who finishes where in the standings. If Valpo finishes first chances are LVD is PoY, if GB does I would give the award to Sykes over Brown. Perry still has a shot, if he finishes the season strong but his biggest downfall is playing on a poor YSU team, without Perry they'd be back to the basement.

My first team

Sykes PoY
Brown
Dority
Perry
Tiby

My 2nd team

Howard
Forbes
Barlow
Mondy
Bader

FoY

Lexus

I'm guess PoY will be to Brown, Sykes, or Dority at this moment in the season. Like I said before it depends on who finished where at the end of the year. If GB doesn't finish first then I don't think Sykes or Brown gets the award.

vu72

Quote from: classof2014 on January 24, 2014, 12:55:42 PM
I think a lot depends on who finishes where in the standings. If Valpo finishes first chances are LVD is PoY, if GB does I would give the award to Sykes over Brown. Perry still has a shot, if he finishes the season strong but his biggest downfall is playing on a poor YSU team, without Perry they'd be back to the basement.

My first team

Sykes PoY
Brown
Dority
Perry
Tiby

My 2nd team

Howard
Forbes
Barlow
Mondy
Bader

FoY

Lexus

I'm guess PoY will be to Brown, Sykes, or Dority at this moment in the season. Like I said before it depends on who finished where at the end of the year. If GB doesn't finish first then I don't think Sykes or Brown gets the award.

I sure don't think Tiby is First Team or even Second Team. Petros is having a better year as he is 9th in scoring and first in rebounding versus Tiby's 10th  and 4th. Sykes looks like a current lock for POY as he is 2nd in scoring and 1st in assts. 

I'd go with

First Team
Sykes POY
Brown
Perry
Dority
Petros

I'm in agreement on the second team.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Too bad we didn't sign Corey, then our inside-outside duo could get the celebrity couple name "DoritOs"

a3uge

Quote from: classof2014 on January 24, 2014, 12:55:42 PMI'm guess PoY will be to Brown, Sykes, or Dority at this moment in the season. Like I said before it depends on who finished where at the end of the year. If GB doesn't finish first then I don't think Sykes or Brown gets the award.

I don't think Lexus Williams will be in position for Newcomer of the Year now that Carter is back. Lexus isn't a good enough PG at this point to justify the award without a high ppg total. He's scored 2 points in a couple of games so far, and has a bad assist to turnover ratio. I do think Peters and Matt Tiby are the front runners for the award because I can't think of anyone else.

Dority has no chance as PoTY not because Valpo won't win the Horizon, but because there's certainly better players. Valpo won the HL easily last year, and Ray Jr was named the PoTY.

vu72

Is it Newcomer or Freshman of the Year.  If its Newcomer then guys like Barlow are certainly in the mix
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015