• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Buzz Williams leaving Marquette for VA Tech

Started by Dave_2010, March 21, 2014, 06:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 28, 2014, 10:10:29 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 28, 2014, 07:42:36 PMhe may not really have...i think those are fabricated tweets.
I figured all but the first one mentioned were fabricated, but I guess I thought the first one was real.

lol

The first one WAS real - he did tweet that he believed the best source, which was some random dude that isn't a journalist and runs a basketball camp. He was incredibly wrong. Goes to show the amount of lying and misinformation there is around sports. Not that the "source" lied, but someone he believed was lying. Never believe any announcement until it's done.

usc4valpo

This thread is interesting and entertaining at the same time.  In all fairness I never saw a bigger smoozer for Valpo than Jon Steinbrecher. Nice guy, but according to him valpo athletics had no room for improvement.  If you look at this objectively there was nepotism.

valpo04

QuoteMarquette found its replacement for Buzz Williams in Mike Krzyzewski's coaching tree.

The Golden Eagles introduced Duke assistant Steve Wojciechowski as their next men's basketball coach Tuesday, with Krzyzewski's longtime right-hand man saying he wants to follow his mentor's lead while bringing his new program to similar heights.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=10708664&src=desktop

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on March 25, 2014, 11:26:56 AM
You have got to be f***ing kidding me about him even being within 100 miles of the Skip Prosser award.  It's an absolute joke that he is even mentioned with anything moral...

I guess you can file this is the "Believe It or Not" file: Brian Wardle has been named the Skip Prosser Man of the Year, an award  "to honor those who not only achieve success on the basketball court but who display moral integrity off of it as well."  ???

Apparently, he was selected above every other coach in the nation, including fellow finalists: Roman Banks (Southern University), John Becker (Vermont), Glenn Braica (St. Francis Brooklyn), Dick Hunsaker (Utah Valley), Tony Jasick (IPFW), Joe Jones (Boston University), Mike Krzyzewski (Duke), Paul Lusk (Missouri State), Phil Martelli (St. Joseph's), Randy Rahe (Weber State), Monte Ross (Delaware), Wayne Tinkle (Montana), Michael White (Louisiana Tech) and Jay Wright (Villanova).

http://www.greenbayphoenix.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209452725&DB_OEM_ID=22500

valpotx

Holy crap, that is absolutely pathetic. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

and PantherU did not write this.  Where is this sports world going?  Pathetic, man.

a3uge

Did they not Google his name before voting? Like there's literally not a single better man in college basketball than the guy that is most notable for being a horrible person?

How does this happen? Seriously, did he develop a cure for cancer or something and I don't know about it?

bbtds

I would think that it was given as a consolation prize for not getting into the NCAA tournament when many of the voters thought GB should have made it. That is the only way I can think the voters could justify their selection. Many obviously did not read about the controversy involving Wardle during the summer.

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, if they are going to give a Nobel Peace Prize to just about anyone, including terrorists, I think it's ok to give the Skip Prosser Award to sociopaths.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

milanmiracle

Quote from: bbtds on April 04, 2014, 05:36:48 PM
I would think that it was given as a consolation prize for not getting into the NCAA tournament when many of the voters thought GB should have made it. That is the only way I can think the voters could justify their selection. Many obviously did not read about the controversy involving Wardle during the summer.

Here's what I read regarding the "controversy", did he do something else? is there more than this?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9308960/wisconsin-green-bay-coach-brian-wardle-keep-job-investigation

"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

a3uge

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 04, 2014, 08:21:08 PM
Well, if they are going to give a Nobel Peace Prize to just about anyone, including terrorists, I think it's ok to give the Skip Prosser Award to sociopaths.

True, Al Gore did sell Current TV to Al Zajeera for $500 million.  I don't know if that qualifies him as a terrorist, an enemy sympathizer in the war on terror, or just a weasel that sold his soul for 30 pieces of silver. 

justducky

Quote from: milanmiracle on April 06, 2014, 05:17:10 PMHere's what I read regarding the "controversy", did he do something else? is there more than this? http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9308960/wisconsin-green-bay-coach-brian-wardle-keep-job-investigation

Unlike many on this board, most of the working class of northwest Ind frequently make vulgar, obscene and even racial comments followed by a nonstop banter of verbal abuse and homophobic accusations. Such behavior is what many blue-collar working people refer to as "entertainment".

So as best as I can tell, Wardle is without question guilty of recruiting a kid so stupid or spineless that he was unable to run off the floor when it became necessary; and being extremely crude in an all male (good old boy) environment. And for these sins the board group-think has determined that Brian Wardle is no better than gutter slime and maybe much worse. Through some kind of extrapolation process we have also concluded that he must not know much about coaching basketball either.

Very interesting!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on April 06, 2014, 06:08:44 PMTrue, Al Gore did sell Current TV to Al Zajeera for $500 million
...Al Gore won a NPP?  Never mind, I stopped paying attention after they spurned John Paul the Great for Yasser Arafat.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

milanmiracle

Quote from: a3uge on April 06, 2014, 05:33:47 PM
Edit: sorry, not going to feed the troll

Hmm, I am now a troll. Do I get my own doll?

I am serious...bad language was the jist of the issue? That's the problem everybody has such an issue with? I've heard much worse...in high school sports. Oh well.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

a3uge

"Other people do it, are racist, and I've heard worse"

Arguments why Brian Wardle should have been named MAN OF THE YEAR.

Seriously guys, there's a difference between a "hard nosed coach that must use gay slurs and insult players that crapped their pants in public from an intense workout" and "Man of the Year" - but I guess I'm just group-thinking at this point. But I guess in your eyes as long as you're not saying racist things, you're a prime candidate for Man of the Year! Logical!

a3uge

And yes, I would say someone whom only posts in the off season about our fans suck, the league sucks, and the team sucks is a troll.

wh

Speaking of the "Man of the Year" ::) I vaguely recall about a year ago after Bryce was snubbed for COY several members of the brotherhood enlightening me about how it's more or less an unwritten rule that the coach of the team that wins the league doesn't get COY unless his team wasn't predicted to win the league. I guess it's less an unwritten rule this year...

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on April 07, 2014, 09:31:04 AMI guess it's less an unwritten rule this year...
+10 memory points for you!

Also, +10 humor :)

milanmiracle

Quote from: a3uge on April 06, 2014, 09:03:57 PM
And yes, I would say someone whom only posts in the off season about our fans suck, the league sucks, and the team sucks is a troll.

Ah, you're one of the Kool Aid crowd. My bad.

milanmiracle

Quote from: a3uge on April 06, 2014, 09:01:34 PM
...Seriously guys, there's a difference between a "hard nosed coach that must use gay slurs and insult players that crapped their pants in public from an intense workout" and "Man of the Year"...

I put the kid crapping himself on the player. If you need your coach to tell you it's okay to go potty while you're a college student running a drill, you have WAY bigger issues than some coach yelling at you. At some point you have to walk (or in this case likely run) to the bathroom and deal with the consequences later. Just crapping yourself isn't a good decision unless you're 2 years old. I can't fault the coach for that.

a3uge

Quote from: milanmiracle on April 07, 2014, 03:41:54 PM
Quote from: a3uge on April 06, 2014, 09:01:34 PM
...Seriously guys, there's a difference between a "hard nosed coach that must use gay slurs and insult players that crapped their pants in public from an intense workout" and "Man of the Year"...

I put the kid crapping himself on the player. If you need your coach to tell you it's okay to go potty while you're a college student running a drill, you have WAY bigger issues than some coach yelling at you. At some point you have to walk (or in this case likely run) to the bathroom and deal with the consequences later. Just crapping yourself isn't a good decision unless you're 2 years old. I can't fault the coach for that.

So using gay slurs and calling a player a piece of  :censored: should make the guy man of the year? Cool. Got it.

You're just standing up for him because you like trolling and calling fans here sheep. If Bryce Drew was in the same situation, you'd be outraged over it.

usc4valpo

OK, a few things -

Wardle was an ass and made mistakes.  Perhaps he learned from this and improved.  Who knows.  As Christians, are we not supposed to forgive.

a3uge - there is nothing wrong critiquing the homies.  For example, for the football team, it is completely fair and accurate to say that the fans are great, the conference sucks and the teams sucks.  The last 4 years they were 3-41 - I mean what you supposed to say?  From there we have room for improvement. There are folks on this board who think it is blasphemous that you criticize the home team as if Valpo can do no wrong.

a3uge

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 07, 2014, 07:10:39 PM
OK, a few things -

Wardle was an ass and made mistakes.  Perhaps he learned from this and improved.  Who knows.  As Christians, are we not supposed to forgive.

a3uge - there is nothing wrong critiquing the homies.  For example, for the football team, it is completely fair and accurate to say that the fans are great, the conference sucks and the teams sucks.  The last 4 years they were 3-41 - I mean what you supposed to say?  From there we have room for improvement. There are folks on this board who think it is blasphemous that you criticize the home team as if Valpo can do no wrong.

Again, there's a difference between forgiveness and awarding the guy "man of the year" 9 months after an investigation started on him.

And I don't think anyone here would bat an eye if someone said something negative about the football team. Everyone knows it has sucked for almost a decade. But here we flip it around: if you state your beliefs and they are somewhat positive towards the program, you're drinking the Kool Aid, engaging in groupthink, even if its a position like "the Horizon League is better than the Summit League" or "A coach that appeared in multiple newspapers for abusing players should be man of the year."

I'm not saying he should be tarred and feathered, but at the very least he shouldn't be named MAN OF THE YEAR.