• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Buzz Williams leaving Marquette for VA Tech

Started by Dave_2010, March 21, 2014, 06:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

very well said my friend.  And please forgive me on the football comparison - the overpatience of the team and Dale Carlson's coaching was beyond ridiculas.

Bryce Drew is doing a good job as coach - not great, not bad, not average - good. Not as good as his dad,  better than Tom Smith.   He has much to learn and he learned alot from this rebuilding season.  The senior class was below par for Valpo standards.

If there is anything I disagree on, it is Valpo's historical lack of aggression in joining a stronger conference and the nepotism preventing this.  It is old news, but I think in the long run it would have enhanced the basketball program.

historyman

Ryan Bross   

And the girl that Coach Wardle made a suggestion to Ryan Bross about

Ryan Bross ‏@Rbross27  Feb 18
My #wcw look at how adorable she is with her nose wrinkle. I love her! @AbigailStoll pic.twitter.com/ddpSK1MAis
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 07, 2014, 08:38:43 PM
Bryce Drew is doing a good job as coach - not great, not bad, not average - good. Not as good as his dad,  better than Tom Smith.   He has much to learn and he learned alot from this rebuilding season.  The senior class was below par for Valpo standards.

With 2 1st place finishes and a 4th in his first 3 years, Bryce Drew is doing a very good job as coach - not great (yet), not bad, not average - very good.  Not as good as Far better than his dad at the same stage in his Valpo coaching career100 times better than Tom Smith at the same stage.   He has much to learn continues to grow and develop as a coach and I'm sure he learned a lot from this rebuilding season.  Overall, The senior class was below par for Valpo standards did not meet our expectations, other than HL 1st team All Conference player Lavonte Dority, of course.

See how easy it is to be positive... ;)

usc4valpo

OMG...A Cub fan is on board!!!

Not sure I am 100% there on your assessment.  Drew is good, but he is no Kevin Ollie...

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 08, 2014, 01:03:55 PM
OMG...A Cub fan is on board!!!

Not sure I am 100% there on your assessment.  Drew is good, but he is no Kevin Ollie...

I don't know about that.  Apples and oranges.  give Bryce three NBA quality players and watch what he does!!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on April 07, 2014, 08:15:40 PMAgain, there's a difference between forgiveness and awarding the guy "man of the year" 9 months after an investigation started on him.

I have to agree. There is a huge gap between what Wardle was accused of to being named the Skip Prosser Award winner. I don't see how a coach moves basically from one end of the spectrum to the other so quickly.

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on April 09, 2014, 12:16:49 PM
Quote from: a3uge on April 07, 2014, 08:15:40 PMAgain, there's a difference between forgiveness and awarding the guy "man of the year" 9 months after an investigation started on him.

I have to agree. There is a huge gap between what Wardle was accused of to being named the Skip Prosser Award winner. I don't see how a coach moves basically from one end of the spectrum to the other so quickly.

I agree as well.  There is a big difference between forgiving negative behavior, which everyone deserves as long as they are contrite and try to change their ways,  and reinforcing sociopathic actions, which this, IMO, clearly did.  In today's world, the type of behavior that was exhibited is flat out abuse.  Kids on HS teams and college teams are severely disciplined for hazing; seasons have been cancelled.  Husbands who exhibit that kind of behavior and verbal abuse receive restraining orders.  Fraternities have been thrown off campus for pledging practices that are similar to what he used.  Ah, but he was "motivating" his players to be all they could be.  Yeah, right.  A$$**** of the year?  Sure.  Man of the Year?  I think not.

milanmiracle

Quote from: a3uge on April 06, 2014, 09:03:57 PM
And yes, I would say someone whom only posts in the off season about our fans suck, the league sucks, and the team sucks is a troll.

Anybody else find it hypocritical that the guy calling somebody names is b!tching about foul language and name calling? Things that make you go hmm... ???
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

a3uge

Quote from: milanmiracle on April 09, 2014, 10:06:14 PM
And yes, I would say someone whom only posts in the off season about our fans suck, the league sucks, and the team sucks is a troll.

Anybody else find it hypocritical that the guy calling somebody names is b!tching about foul language and name calling? Things that make you go hmm... ???

BUT NOBODY IS NOMINATING ME FOR MAN OF THE YEAR HHHHMMMMMM

milanmiracle

Quote from: a3uge on April 09, 2014, 10:07:06 PM

No kidding. That's not something you have to worry about anytime soon.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

a3uge

Quote from: milanmiracle on April 09, 2014, 10:10:44 PM
Quote from: a3uge on April 09, 2014, 10:07:06 PM

No kidding. That's not something you have to worry about anytime soon.

If can't see a difference between me calling someone a troll and an NCAA coach saying he should f-%$ his gf to play better/is a piece of s$% after he craps his pants in public from sprints while having the flu, then... well... I don't know. If Bryce Drew said the same thing you'd be all over him demanding his job be taken away, not proclaiming him man of the year.

I guess you're leaving so no sense continuing this.

milanmiracle

Quote from: a3uge on April 09, 2014, 10:23:28 PM

Yep, and you're a big reason why.

valpo04

Quote from: milanmiracle on April 10, 2014, 10:28:47 AM
Quote from: a3uge on April 09, 2014, 10:23:28 PM

Yep, and you're a big reason why.

A shame really.  437 members here and 1 is a big reason why you are leaving.

usc4valpo

c'mon guys let's not take so this so seriously.  there is nothing wrong having different views. Let's have a beer summit and resolve this.

wh

a3uge - There's plenty of opportunity to name-call outside of our own brotherhood. Besides, milan isn't a troll and I think you know he isn't. 
milan - As someone who regularly challenges the majority view, you have to know that people are going to challenge you back.

The truth is both of you guys are valued contributors.  Let me make a simple suggestion that you take a deep breath, back off each other a little, and forget about it.  Hopefully, the last thing either of you would do is stop posting or quit the board entirely over a difference of opinion that got a little out of hand. 

justducky

Quote from: wh on April 10, 2014, 12:37:27 PM
a3uge - There's plenty of opportunity to name-call outside of our own brotherhood. Besides, milan isn't a troll and I think you know he isn't. 
milan - As someone who regularly challenges the majority view, you have to know that people are going to challenge you back.

The truth is both of you guys are valued contributors.  Let me make a simple suggestion that you take a deep breath, back off each other a little, and forget about it.  Hopefully, the last thing either of you would do is stop posting or quit the board entirely over a difference of opinion that got a little out of hand. 
Ditto to these thoughts but allow me to rephrase it to the ducky way of thinking.

Milan we already know that you can shake off a haymaker then wade in to land some nasty body blows and counterpunches. So why is it that a3uge has thrown you a few pat-pat love taps and you are ready to run home to your mother crying? Crying has never been tolerated on this board and we will make no exceptions even for you. So I challenge you to man-up, remove that skirt (it doesn't become you), jump back in the ring and be ready to go another 10 rounds.

I just can not believe that you would be tempted to throw in the towel because of a lightweight like a3uge.  :o

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: justducky on April 10, 2014, 01:57:26 PMI just can not believe that you would be tempted to throw in the towel because of a lightweight like a3uge. 
Actually, just the opposite...problem is he's punching above his weight class.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Quote from: justducky on April 10, 2014, 01:57:26 PM
Quote from: wh on April 10, 2014, 12:37:27 PM

Ditto to these thoughts but allow me to rephrase it to the ducky way of thinking.

Milan we already know that you can shake off a haymaker then wade in to land some nasty body blows and counterpunches. So why is it that a3uge has thrown you a few pat-pat love taps and you are ready to run home to your mother crying? Crying has never been tolerated on this board and we will make no exceptions even for you. So I challenge you to man-up, remove that skirt (it doesn't become you), jump back in the ring and be ready to go another 10 rounds.

I just can not believe that you would be tempted to throw in the towel because of a lightweight like a3uge.  :o

Instead of boxing can we just do a thumb war?

justducky

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 10, 2014, 11:17:44 AMc'mon guys let's not take so this so seriously.  there is nothing wrong having different views. Let's have a beer summit and resolve this.
Quote from: a3uge on April 10, 2014, 02:20:55 PMInstead of boxing can we just do a thumb war?
Hey if this turns into a full scale bar room brawl will it be OK for us old timers to use some of the empty bottles as equalizers? If not I may have to stay home and listen to the play by play, blow by blow radio account. Any chance that chef will be calling it "Live from Duffys"?

a3uge

Quote from: justducky on April 10, 2014, 03:34:50 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on April 10, 2014, 11:17:44 AMc'mon guys let's not take so this so seriously.  there is nothing wrong having different views. Let's have a beer summit and resolve this.
Quote from: a3uge on April 10, 2014, 02:20:55 PMInstead of boxing can we just do a thumb war?
Hey if this turns into a full scale bar room brawl will it be OK for us old timers to use some of the empty bottles as equalizers? If not I may have to stay home and listen to the play by play, blow by blow radio account. Any chance that chef will be calling it "Live from Duffys"?

I just got my nails purified, so careful with any beer spills on them.

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 10, 2014, 02:02:41 PM
Quote from: justducky on April 10, 2014, 01:57:26 PMI just can not believe that you would be tempted to throw in the towel because of a lightweight like a3uge.
Actually, just the opposite...problem is he's punching above his weight class.

Are you calling me fat???

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on April 10, 2014, 03:53:03 PMAre you calling me fat???
well you are from Milwaukee...

srsly, tho, meaning that he was trying to defend Wardle.

well, even the nuremberg trials had defense lawyers.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

Great comments.  I am in Liberty Missouri this weekend at a dance competition. About 2 miles from here is William Jewell college, former alma mater of Homer Drew, and one of many, many schools who defeated the Osteen quoter's football express

justducky

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 10, 2014, 07:34:21 PMwell, even the nuremberg trials had defense lawyers.

Yup, which is exactly why I was pleased to see Milan weigh in with his take on the Wardle issue. For all these months no one (except me) had made any attempt to defend Wardle from what I would characterize as an almost slanderous bombardment .

Look, the good people of Green Bay have chosen to retain Brian Wardle as their coach and the great majority of Horizon League basketball fans (including Milan and myself) do not consider him to be a great embarrassment to the league. Therefor the fact that he is capable of being a mid-twentieth century politically incorrect ass (currently under firm UWGB control) would seen not to be our problem or concern. My take on the man is actually open and positive enough that if he were recruiting a grandson, or a friends son or grandson I would try to impose no roadblocks other than some cautionary statements of the facts.

LaPorteAveApostle

All of that may be true.

But can you say that Brian Wardle deserves an award as "Man of the Year", at least as awarded by anyone other than The Makers of Adult Depends™?

One might even be able to make a better case for a president deserving his Nobel Peace Prize.