• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

It's been almost 30 days...

Started by crusaderjoe, June 14, 2011, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusaderjoe

Have they gotten around to completing the terms of the K yet, or has "later" not yet arrived?

crusaderjoe

covufan

I'm sure that the University and Bryce are happy with the terms as they are right now, whether it be a full contract or a letter of agreement, etc.  I'd also expect that any change would not warrant anything in the news cycle - so don't expect to hear anything unless a reporter asks during a news conference.

valpospartan

Also no word about Bryce's staff: additions;deletions,etc.

valpofan56

Quote from: valpospartan on June 15, 2011, 04:40:23 PM

I hope Jake is still on the staff as an assistant coach.

hoopfan22

Quote from: valpofan56 on June 15, 2011, 05:18:34 PM
Quote from: valpospartan on June 15, 2011, 04:40:23 PM

I hope Jake is still on the staff as an assistant coach.
Me too. Weird that no info has been given on the staff. I guess it's safe to assume Gore and Sparks moved up and Jake moved into that 3rd spot.

crusaderjoe

Here's the latest information that I could find on the K, staff, and anything else that is remotely relevant to this topic:

cricket chirping

Crusader03

What are the odds that Luke Gore slides into the associate head coach role?  Or, was that a position created simply for Bryce as "coach in waiting?"

vu72

I think they need to bring another experienced coach, aybe someone with head coaching experience.  Bryce did a lot of coaching and now he is the head man.  Does it make any sense for a guy like Greg Tonagel to come on board?? How about D3 head coaches??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Crusader03

Quote from: vu72 on June 22, 2011, 10:09:23 PM
I think they need to bring another experienced coach, aybe someone with head coaching experience.  Bryce did a lot of coaching and now he is the head man.  Does it make any sense for a guy like Greg Tonagel to come on board?? How about D3 head coaches??

Jason Hawkins doesn't fit the bill of "experienced," but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a shot on this staff.  Tonagel would be a great addition, but I'm not sure if he would consider an assistant role as a step up from what he is doing at Indiana Wesleyan.  Does he have the potential to get a head job at a D2 in the near future?  Maybe a top assistant role under Bryce makes sense as a career move.  Who knows, but I'd love to have him back at VU.

I would be interested in seeing if Jim East wanted to try his hand at the college level...great high school head coach and might really help us with recruiting in NWI.  Maybe he is the type of addition that would make sense for this program, if he is interested in coaching again.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: Crusader03 on June 22, 2011, 10:16:03 PM

Jason Hawkins doesn't fit the bill of "experienced," but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a shot on this staff.  Tonagel would be a great addition, but I'm not sure if he would consider an assistant role as a step up from what he is doing at Indiana Wesleyan.  Does he have the potential to get a head job at a D2 in the near future?  Maybe a top assistant role under Bryce makes sense as a career move.  Who knows, but I'd love to have him back at VU.

I would be interested in seeing if Jim East wanted to try his hand at the college level...great high school head coach and might really help us with recruiting in NWI.  Maybe he is the type of addition that would make sense for this program, if he is interested in coaching again.

east...wasn't he coaching at merrillville? isn't he also getting pretty old? i mean that to say how much coaching does he have left if he wants to.

Crusader03

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on June 22, 2011, 10:23:29 PM

east...wasn't he coaching at merrillville? isn't he also getting pretty old? i mean that to say how much coaching does he have left if he wants to.

Granted, he is old.  I think he is right around 70.  He coached 45 years, I believe.  The odds of him taking on a hectic job like an assistant has are probably slim.  But, he would bring so much knowledge and so many connections to recruits.  Maybe if not East, is there another experienced high school coach in NWI who could bring some of the same qualities to the bench.

Maybe this is an unorthodox idea, but I see some merit considering our recruiting issues in NWI.

hoopfan22

Hawkins left the staff after 1 year and just got named the head coach at Indiana Univ.-Northwest. Tonagel would be a great pick up. Wonder if he'd be interested? What about Chris Artis? I know he's coaching.

vu72

Artis would be a great pickup and could help with the bigs.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo89

East, coaching at Valparaiso under Bryce? If you know anything at all about local high school basketball, that would never happen and is only a notch above the stupidity level of asking how an Australian player handles jet lag for a Thursday game after a "weekend escape" home.

Crusader03

Quote from: Valpo89 on June 23, 2011, 02:27:52 PM
East, coaching at Valparaiso under Bryce? If you know anything at all about local high school basketball, that would never happen and is only a notch above the stupidity level of asking how an Australian player handles jet lag for a Thursday game after a "weekend escape" home.

I actually don't know that much about the ins and outs of high school ball in the region.  I do know that Jim East is a great head coach who might bring a recruiting presence to VU that we haven't had in the Region in a longtime.  Fill me in on why Jim East wouldn't work...and if you can do it without insulting me, that would be nice too :) 

vu72

OK '89, calm down.  Some of us know nothing about the local high school basketball scene.  The question was legit.  Would a local basketball legend be a good fit as an assistent at Valpo?  Would his recruiting knowledge of locals be helpful?  Is there a problem with local coaches and Valpo?  Freeman did lure a local legend in Greg Kirby on to the ladies coaching staff, or is that apples and oranges?  Fill us in!!  :crazy: :popcorn:

Crusader03

Ok, here's another thought...how about Drew Trost?  He did a great job at Bishop Noll, is connected in the high school basketball scene, and he is a Valpo grad with connections to the program.  I think he would be worth a look.

justducky

was trying to point out was tr
Quote from: Valpo89 on June 23, 2011, 02:27:52 PM
I think what 89 was trying to point out is that Jim East is Jim East and that a combination like that would be unlikely to succeed,and yes I agree that 89could have been a bit more diplomatic. However the concept is sound and can at times work quite well.

Greg Kirby came first to mind, but others such as Jerry Hoover and Jack Gabor took their turns as college assistants. About the only way this could ever work in a VU type situation is if the man was reasonably local and might want what amounts to a part time paying job. Is Bob Punter still alive and healthy? He and Bryce might just be able to get along--again.

Valpo89

Lets just say the relationship between East and those associated with VU basketball hasn't been exactly positive. Plus, he's 70 years old and retired to spend more time with his wife. Why would he want to be a college coach, at age 70, where you spend most of your time on the road recruiting?

Drew Trost is an excellent suggestion.

wayne

What about bryce's brother in law casey? Would be a great fit with his experience.

crusaderjoe

If we are looking at local HS coaches, I say go after Winston Garland.

Crusader03

Quote from: wayne on June 23, 2011, 04:00:08 PM
What about bryce's brother in law casey? Would be a great fit with his experience.

Casey is also a really good guy and is living in the area, last I saw him.  I've wondered for a while if joining the fraternity of family coaches at VU might be an eventual step for him.  Maybe Dana needs to to join Keith as well :)