• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo offer to Steven Haney Jr.

Started by valpopal, July 09, 2011, 12:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

As I have said before, I like what seems to be an aggressiveness in Bryce's recruiting style. After obtaining a verbal commitment from Nick Davidson, could Bryce be looking ahead in his recruiting? I heard Steven Haney Jr. was offered a scholarship by Valpo today.

Though hard to believe we have a chance (he has expressed a preference for Michigan or Michigan State in the past), this kid would be a huge get. He is a Rivals 4-star player. Steven Haney Jr. 6'6" (SF) Lansing Eastern HS (MI). Class of 2013. Schools in the Recruiting Mix: Offered by Detroit, Toledo, and Western Michigan. Interest from Illinois, Providence, Boston College, DePaul, Georgetown, Indiana, Miami (FL), Notre Dame, Oregon State, Purdue, Cornell, Iowa St., Tennessee, Texas Tech, Michigan State, Nebraska, Harvard, and Michigan. ESPN Grade: 90.

rlh

Sometimes you make offers knowing you really don't have a chance, but just in case other schools back off if they get what they consider "better" choices

vu72

Sometimes being the first to offer has an impact with kids.  As Jay Harris, ESPN rank: 93.  For that matter, ask Brandon Wood!  Kids can be loyal to a school that has been there all the way.  Let's hope so!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

DMvalpo18

oh boy, let's not start to get on brandon's case anymore. i wonder what sort of odds we might have going after a recruit like that?

skoot

My reliable sources tell me kid is high on Valpo and is going to visit in the Fall.  He is VERY good and would be a perfect fit for us.   Holds offers from; Valpo, Detroit, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, Akron, Iowa State, Oregon State, Toledo, Eastern Michigan and lots of high major interest and is only an incoming Jr.  Biggest shooting guard in Rivals 100...6'6" and young.

Scored 40+ against Eric Gordon All Stars and 38 pts against Dakich Indiana Elite.  This kid would be an impact program changer (Rivasl 100).  I hear Dad wants him to go to a mid major and play right away.  Michigan and MSU are of no interest and never have been.  Definitely have a shot at him. 

agibson

A perfect fit for Valpo: a 6' 6" guard!

Joking aside, sounds like he'd be a good get.

valpofan56

Quote from: agibson on July 27, 2011, 07:09:20 AM
A perfect fit for Valpo: a 6' 6" guard!

Joking aside, sounds like he'd be a good get.

Hopefully he's an Ali Berdiel clone  ;)

lowposter

What AAU program does he play for? 

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

No, please no Ali Berdiel clone.  While he had his moments of good play, his dumb decisions play out more in my mind than anything else.  An attempted spin through the lane that leads to his pocket being picked, traveling, or dribbling the ball off of his foot...
"Don't mess with Texas"

rlh

Quote from: valpotx on July 27, 2011, 10:47:18 AM
No, please no Ali Berdiel clone.  While he had his moments of good play, his dumb decisions play out more in my mind than anything else.  An attempted spin through the lane that leads to his pocket being picked, traveling, or dribbling the ball off of his foot...
It amazes me that with all the good play Ali gave us, he's never lived down the turnover against Purdue when he was a freshman.  He was a very good, not great player for us....apparently the NBA thought so, he did have a cup of coffee with the Knicks as I remember

vu72

When you are a 6'6" point guard,with halfway decent talent, the NBA will give you a look.

valpotx

My statement was not simply based on that Purdue turnover, but more the spin move he always attempted that rarely led to anything positive.  It was kind of like watching Kikas' and his attempted dribbling to the hole from the 3-pt arc.  You just knew something was going to go wrong lol. 

Ali had good overall talent, but was very turnover prone in clutch situations. I second vu72's assertion.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

I took one of my good friends to the Purdue game at Valpo Ali's freshman year.  Dave is on the Purdue Alumni board and his family (parents and in-laws) have given a ton of money to the university.  They have reserved parking spaces in the first row next to the Mackey entrance and their seats where basically right next to Gene Keady. Purdue is my second favorite team but just once I would love to rub Dave's face in it a little bit... I thought that night might just be THE night.

I could not believe that we were in position to win that game, Ali had played great especially given the fact that he was a freshman and I thought his was going to be a special career at VU.... and then the last procession happened and the deflation could literally be felt in the air that night.  It really did seem that Ali never got over that errant foot meets ball mistake, it seemed to hound him the rest of his very decent career at Valpo.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

StlVUFan

I saw Ali drop 28 points on Oral Roberts in Tulsa one year.  He was draining shots that would have made Shelvin Mack blush.

lowposter

I could never quite figure Ali out.  Pretty good talent, but he always left me thinking there could have been so much more.

Perhaps the most vivid memory of him is this, and it didnt even occur in a game.  My son and I were in the ARC shooting upstairs during their practice.  Layout line to start practice and everyone is throwing down monster dunks, except Ali.  Perhaps it was due to his foot problems, but he couldnt jump. Granted jumping isnt everything in the game of basketball, but quickness, jumping, fast twitch movement is fairly critical.

Just my 2 cents based on a five minute observation years ago.

lowposter

valporun

I don't really remember Ali ever being able to dunk. Maybe it's a case that he knew what his role was, and that dunking wasn't a part of it, even if he was able to do it?

cornonthe

Jumping was fine...it was the landing that hurt him...something with his arches(I think)...

lowposter

Ah, good expanation.  Why jump if it causes pain?

Where is Ali these days?

valpopal

lowposter

vu72

historyman

I can't start a new thread yet so I must rewply here, sorry vu72.

It was evident that Ali needed some ego boosting. Everyone in the world has quirks to their personalities.

It was up to the coach to make the personalities work together.

It's the Phil Jackson's of the coaching world that have the most success because they know the individuals so well.

Is maybe Ali's chance at a try at the Knicks somewhat of a racial move? There are approximately 800,000 Puerto Ricans in New York City now and 4 million in Peurto Rico. If the Knicks could develop a Rican player than they might attract a whole new fan base. The largest growing grouping in the United States is the Hispanic grouping.

Valpo89

Quote from: historyman on August 02, 2011, 08:03:18 AM
Is maybe Ali's chance at a try at the Knicks somewhat of a racial move? There are approximately 800,000 Puerto Ricans in New York City now and 4 million in Peurto Rico. If the Knicks could develop a Rican player than they might attract a whole new fan base. The largest growing grouping in the United States is the Hispanic grouping.
I'd really doubt it. Do the Knicks have trouble filling up MSG, even with bad teams? I've never been to N.Y., but I don't think so. Ali probably earned the tryout, nothing to do with race.

historyman

Quote from: Valpo89 on August 02, 2011, 01:27:27 PM
Quote from: historyman on August 02, 2011, 08:03:18 AM
I'd really doubt it. Do the Knicks have trouble filling up MSG, even with bad teams? I've never been to N.Y., but I don't think so. Ali probably earned the tryout, nothing to do with race.

In NY it never was about filling up MSG. It's about the TV viewers that the network that MSG owns can attract with Hispanic players. The Steinbrenners make most of their money on their TV deal with YES (is that Yankee Entertainment System or some such?). I think the Yankees get over $100 million a year from a network that they have 1/3 share in.

Rereading my post I noticed that it sounds like I'm trying to dig up some really thorny issues. I'm really not. The reality of today's NBA is that the white players and Hispanic players mean more money to their NBA teams because they attract a different audience than the usual audience that the NBA attracts. In all major sports we all know that money is the biggest attraction for what are really just businessmen just like in any other business.