• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

02/19/16 Oakland at the ARC

Started by 78crusader, February 17, 2016, 08:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUfan

Great win Six in double Figures, this team responds !!!!1

valpotx

Our Walkers are playing like crap again.  Darien has reverted to releasing his shot too late, which throws an absolute BB at the rim/backboard without any sort of touch.  Tevonn decided to foul on a 3 ptr twice, and went something like 1/6 on his FTs in the last few minutes.  Darien also got an offensive rebound with 2 minutes left, and at 6-8 pt lead, and decided to try and take it to the rim, rather than kick it out and eat up more time.  I really hope that one or both get their sh!t together, as we will need them to win the conference tourney.
"Don't mess with Texas"

atkins

A win, but regression in this game.  Inconsistent.  Obviously, Tevon's touch is just not there.  Kudos to Bryce for continuing to play him regardless (ala D. Walker earlier this yr).  Would like to see Alec take over games at the end.... Ryanesque basketball would be welcomed. 

Horrible foul shooting for a D-1 team.  Valpo certainly is not peaking at a time when doing so is crucial. 

ValpoHoops

After tonight's win, we have clinched at least a share of the title.

We will clinch the #1 seed with either one more win or a Wright State loss.

a3uge

Geez, you'd think we either lost or scraped by UIC with these comments.

Cmon, we just won our 4th regular season title in 5 years. Crucial win with Peters being clutch again. He delivered the dagger when we needed it - this experience will be valuable coming up.

a3uge

Geez, you'd think we either lost or scraped by UIC with these comments.

Cmon, we just won our 4th regular season title in 5 years. Crucial win with Peters being clutch again. He delivered the dagger when we needed it - this experience will be valuable coming up.

oklahomamick

Felder scores in the mid 20's again against us.  Just like the last game he scored probably 7 in the last two minutes.  What I'm saying is hes not getting his points until they don't mean anything.  Carter on the HL All-Defensive team. 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

ValpoHoops

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 19, 2016, 09:57:23 PM
Any word on Skara? 

Post game interview with Gore suggested it was an ankle. Said they hope to have him for Wisconsin trip.

He didn't sound too optimistic about Sunday, but I wouldn't think so given how it looked.

HC

Someone earlier posted Vashil would have double digits...that guy is pretty basketball smart

HailVU2014

Survive and advance my friends. This win was gutty and well fought. Sure, we had moments of weakness and questionable moves and decisions, but we just beat the second place team in the HL for a regular season sweep. Also, the game up in Rochester was fluke in this series, as 10 of the last 11 have been decided by 6 points or fewer or in OT. With this win, we can breathe for the final three games of the season and use them to fine tune our game for March Tournaments.

My only criticism is that late in the first half we fell into the trap of playing a highly offensive, high scoring game that Oakland likes to play. We had quick possessions and quick scoring but we did not really have a good defensive rhythm and our 17-point lead whither to 8 by the half. Then, we started the second half almost too slow, and they could have had a run to tie it, but Alec saved us with a clutch shot or two to ensure it was no less than a 4 point lead.

I thought that the student section and crowd was really into the game and really gave that home court advantage that we needed. However, I didn't particularly appreciate the early "Scoreboard" chants and that the only cheer for the game was "Let's Go Valpo." Both cheers were clearly audible on ESPNU. We can be better than that. And we really didn't hit 5000 people? ??? Sad day.

Now the question is: Is there any possibility of not playing Oakland or Wright State in Detroit? After tonight, I really would rather play Wright State for a third shot than let Oakland get their third shot at us. Also, does anyone know what our numbers look like for the tourney in Detroit? My tickets are bought and hotel reserved, but our board hasn't talked much about it yet and that concerns me a bit...

justducky

I haven't seen a shot chart but we appeared to take a dozen or more mid range 2 point shots. Seemed like more than we have taken total in the last 3 games and they were going in. Was this by design or did we just take what they were giving us?

govalpogo

So another interesting bit is that this game was played as part of ESPN's rivalry week and both league games between OU and Valpo were on ESPN.  A little national light on who our HL rival is?  If memory serves me right, we've also played Butler twice and Detroit the year after the Jr dunk on rivalry week as well.

HC

They were chanting scoreboard at the one Oakland fan who was chanting airball.

HC

In 2 games vs each other Peters goes 12-17 with 31 pts, 25 rbs, 2 to's in 65mins.  Felder goes 17-49 with 46pts, 14 assist, 6 to's n 79mins

Also, Peters' team has 2 wins vs Felder's 0 (in case that matters to any award voters).

chef

I can promise you it matters to one voter!

a3uge

I listened to the game on the radio, but just saw the Peters 3 highlight.

[tweet]700919873312960512[/tweet]

2. Keith Carter fouled out on THAT? What an epically crappy call with the game on the line.

bbtds

I felt as if Valpo played Oakland's kind of game instead of playing lockdown defense as they usually do. Valpo had some great scoring streaks that put them out in front just enough to win. But a win is a win and dispite all the poor shooting and mistakes at the end the Crusaders survived a great offensive night by Felder, Hayes and Gibson. Good thing Hooper didn't get hot.

valpocleveland

Davidson needs to be more original celebrating Peter's 3, straight up copy cat of Monmouth.

valpocleveland

Quote from: HailVU2014 on February 19, 2016, 04:47:34 PM
The line for this game has been all over. Opened at Valpo -8.5 and has gone all the way up to 10 and now it's back down to Valpo -9. All of which seems high. But... to be fair, we have either won by double digits or lost in conference play so maybe they aren't crazy? I don't know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Fluctuation is due to betting. Line opens at -8.5 and more bets are being placed on Valpo so the line goes up to -10. Betting shifts to Oakland and line moves down to -9. I am most interested in opening lines as they are more predictive of how Vegas things the game with turn out.

HailVU2014

Quote from: valpocleveland on February 20, 2016, 06:03:38 AM
Quote from: HailVU2014 on February 19, 2016, 04:47:34 PM
The line for this game has been all over. Opened at Valpo -8.5 and has gone all the way up to 10 and now it's back down to Valpo -9. All of which seems high. But... to be fair, we have either won by double digits or lost in conference play so maybe they aren't crazy? I don't know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Fluctuation is due to betting. Line opens at -8.5 and more bets are being placed on Valpo so the line goes up to -10. Betting shifts to Oakland and line moves down to -9. I am most interested in opening lines as they are more predictive of how Vegas things the game with turn out.

Right. I was just surprised with the fact that it wasn't being bet down and staying down. For betting purposes, I thought it would be tough to go with Valpo when 9 of the past 10 games were decided by less than 6 points or OT. Yet... this is our first single digit win in HL play this season and we played well enough at times to win by double digits so maybe Vegas knew something that we didn't as to why it opened at 8.5 and went all the way up to 10.

oklahomamick

Valpo RPI at 58 (one ahead of Butler) and 9 ahead of IPFW.  Oakland's RPI increased to 116 from 119 after losing to us. 
CRUSADERS!!!

talksalot

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 20, 2016, 09:46:31 AMOakland's RPI increased to 116 from 119 after losing to us.

and it will drop back down after playing UIC on Sunday...just like everyone else's does...

talksalot

so... during the starting line-ups ... I give the player's position, height, class and home town

the scoring sheet that has the roster provides Shane Hammink's home town:

Millingen aan de Rijn, Netherlands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millingen_aan_de_Rijn

I think I got it right:  Mill Eh Gehn Ahn De Ryne

Gotta make a point to ask him before Sunday's game.

a3uge

I'm finally rewatching the game - the first two fouls on the three point attempts were ridiculous. The first, Hooper pushed off twice and I don't even think Tevonn touched him. Then the second was all ball by Darien. Holy crap, just because a coach gets a technical, doesn't mean you have to give them ridiculous calls right afterwards.

The third one was certainly legitimate.

Also, what was with that dousch in the Oakland sweater? Seems like a winner.