• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

02/19/16 Oakland at the ARC

Started by 78crusader, February 17, 2016, 08:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arsenal926

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 22, 2016, 06:10:09 AMNot an awful person at all.  sizing up a ref doesn't make someone an awful person. If that was the case, I might be a bad person....So you are telling me Kampe didn't take steps towards the ref as if he was going to meet him in the middle of the court?   After the technical, Kampe took 3 steps towards the ref.  You might be mistaken.  That is a fact.  Bad thing is, Kampe was correct.  It was a foul. I don't love Kampe as much as STLfan (just giving you a hard time) but I do like him.  I listen to Kampe's radio show and think hes a good  coach.

This is obviously going nowhere. If you think that sequence was worthy of an ejection so be it. Kampe was like half a step out of the coaching box and at no point was he even with 30 feet of the ref who gave the tech. Arguably a deserved tech, but saying that was "sizing up the ref" is a large stretch IMO.

78crusader

Well, I will have to ask and show my naivete - what exactly does it mean to "size up a ref?"

Thanks.

paul

oklahomamick

I'm sure "sizing up" is subjective.  I think it's taking aggressive steps towards someone as if you are on your way for a confrontation.   

The video showed Kampe taking steps to meet the ref at center of the court.  The ref paused and held his position in what appeared to me as if Kampe takes one more step towards me, I'm throwing him out. 

Bryce got T'd up against WSU a week ago.  Two different styles of receiving technical fouls.   :twocents:
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Kampe is the Donald Trump of the Horizon League. Guy can do or say whatever he wants and his minions will defend him. This guy said in his press conference McClain should be considered for HL coach of the year. Yes, the same coach of a team that is almost singly handedly responsible for lowering each team's RPI 10 points and assuring the league won't get an at-large bid.

He makes asinine comment one after another, and he's regarded as refreshing for speaking his mind.

valpo64

"King Kampe"...in love with himself and the the H L's blowhard of the year(a repeat every year)   Just think how good he and his program would be if they were at least half as good as HE thinks they are.   

oklahomamick

The Golden Grizzlies trailed 46-38 at the half, and were called for 11 fouls to Valpo's 10. For the game, Oakland was called for 24 fouls to Valpo's 23.
CRUSADERS!!!

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on February 19, 2016, 12:42:25 PMHow about 50 mile an hour wind gusts leading to possibly unsafe driving conditions, and 5,000 without power?
Funny story: I'm just about to hit Hebron on Friday around 2pm or so and I get a call from Buffalo Wild Wings saying they've got my Dad seated there and they just wanted to find out how soon I was going to be there.  I thought, huh?  What's he doing?  I get there and he tells me his apartment complex and the surrounding neighborhood lost power.  It was restored by the time he went back home (he got bored when I ordered my late lunch and pulled out my computer ;)

StlVUFan

I happen to think we got away with A LOT of fouls in the early going under the basket.  I was sitting right there, and Jaylen Hayes absolutely should have been given the and-1 opportunity on that one play.

I suspect it all evened out in the end.  I certainly think we got our fair share of love from the refs.

Chairback

I see their AD was suspended for 1 game for comments about the refs.  if you go back and look at the fouls they were called for in the 1st half I can't disagree.  Vashil fouled on the play Kampe got the T on.  We got some breaks.

vusupporter

The officiating issue is an interesting one. I see a lot of talk - both on here sometimes, after games in which some fans feel we've been egregiously wronged, and on other boards from opposing fans - about the quality of officials being awful and we need better officials in the Horizon League.

But a good bit of the time, we're getting officials considered good enough to work in the top leagues. Take, for instance, Friday's game:
Brent Hampton - of his last 10 games, 3 were Big East games, 1 was an SEC game and 1 was an American Conference game
Kelly Pfeifer - of his last 10, 3 were Big Ten games, 2 were Mountain West games, 1 was a Missouri Valley game
Alfred Smith - of his last 10, only 1 SEC and 1 Atlantic 10 that you might consider top-tier, but if you expand to last 20, you have 4 A-10, 2 SEC, 1 Big East games

Or Sunday's game:
Doug Sirmons - last 10: 3 SEC, 2 Big 12, 2 American (you might remember Sirmons from being the official who ejected Calipari early in Kentucky's game at SC)
Paul Szelc - last 10: 2 Big 10, 2 Big East
Bert Smith - last 10: 2 Big 12, 2 Mountain West, 2 Missouri Valley, 1 Pac-12

So if officials at our games are officials who are consistently working in leagues at or above the Horizon League's level, why does officiating always seem to be such an issue at our level? It's an interesting question.

FWalum

Quote from: vusupporter on February 22, 2016, 10:25:03 PMSo if officials at our games are officials who are consistently working in leagues at or above the Horizon League's level, why does officiating always seem to be such an issue at our level? It's an interesting question.
Believe me it is not just our level in which the officiating is an issue this year.  The frustration is everywhere and with everyone including coaches, officials, and administrators.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

One of the things Kampe was going nuts about were the back-to-back fouls called on Hayes was he was defending Peters at the high post.  From our position 7 rows off the court we could plainly see that Hayes was holding onto Alec's jersey when he tried to create space or break away. Subsequently, we observed Alec inform Bryce on the sidelines with a jersey pulling motion.  At the first opportunity Bryce was quietly in the ear of one of the officials, and next thing you know Hayes was called for fouls on back-to-back (I think) possessions for doing exactly that, and had to be pulled.  Everyone knows full well that anything that impedes an offensive player's progress is supposed to be called more closely this year, yet a lot of teams continue to try to get away with the same old stuff - hip checks, extended knees, arm bars, holding, etc., etc.  They continue to challenge the refs to make the calls.  The problem as I see it is the continued lack of consistency from game to game by the officials.  I have read that the NCAA head of officials is repeatedly telling them to stay the course in enforcing "freedom of movement" so they don't have to reinvent the wheel every year.  They are also reviewing game video and calling out officials who aren't conforming. 

All of this said I have zero sympathy for Kampe and Oakland's AD and their little tizzy fits.  If anyone plays lazier defense in the HL than Oakland, I'd like to know who it is.  The reason they hold jerseys, lock arms and hip check is that they're too lazy to move their feet.  Did anyone notice Gibson out there in the 2nd half.  He looked completely gassed at every stop in the action.  It was obviously noticeable to the coaching staff because we set up several plays later in the half to go directly at him.  It's unbelievable that a player can be that out of shape 30 games into a season.  Then again, Oakland only plays at one end of the court, so it probably takes longer to reach a basic level of cardiovascular fitness.

Lastly, we should thank our lucky stars that Oakland doesn't dedicate to playing defense the way we do.  With their high powered offense and our lock down defense, they'd probably be undefeated right now and ranked in the Top 25.   

frontrowfan

Good summary and I couldn't agree more.  I am still concerned about offensive lulls and at times our inability to hit the broad side of a barn especially down the stretch.   We need to consistently start out strong, maintaned the momentum and finish strong.  I'd like to see Tavonn regain his shooting accuracy and hope that David's ankle improves so that he can at least practice prior to the tournament. 
Traveling to WI to make the road trip this week and feel confident that we we will come out on top.   While I don't want to look too far ahead, we need to be able to better contain Oakland's scoring as they will be exploiting every weakness in our game (few that they are).

a3uge

Quote from: wh on February 23, 2016, 10:56:58 AM
One of the things Kampe was going nuts about were the back-to-back fouls called on Hayes was he was defending Peters at the high post.  From our position 7 rows off the court we could plainly see that Hayes was holding onto Alec's jersey when he tried to create space or break away. Subsequently, we observed Alec inform Bryce on the sidelines with a jersey pulling motion.  At the first opportunity Bryce was quietly in the ear of one of the officials, and next thing you know Hayes was called for fouls on back-to-back (I think) possessions for doing exactly that, and had to be pulled.  Everyone knows full well that anything that impedes an offensive player's progress is supposed to be called more closely this year, yet a lot of teams continue to try to get away with the same old stuff - hip checks, extended knees, arm bars, holding, etc., etc.  They continue to challenge the refs to make the calls.  The problem as I see it is the continued lack of consistency from game to game by the officials.  I have read that the NCAA head of officials is repeatedly telling them to stay the course in enforcing "freedom of movement" so they don't have to reinvent the wheel every year.  They are also reviewing game video and calling out officials who aren't conforming. 

All of this said I have zero sympathy for Kampe and Oakland's AD and their little tizzy fits.  If anyone plays lazier defense in the HL than Oakland, I'd like to know who it is.  The reason they hold jerseys, lock arms and hip check is that they're too lazy to move their feet.  Did anyone notice Gibson out there in the 2nd half.  He looked completely gassed at every stop in the action.  It was obviously noticeable to the coaching staff because we set up several plays later in the half to go directly at him.  It's unbelievable that a player can be that out of shape 30 games into a season.  Then again, Oakland only plays at one end of the court, so it probably takes longer to reach a basic level of cardiovascular fitness.

Lastly, we should thank our lucky stars that Oakland doesn't dedicate to playing defense the way we do.  With their high powered offense and our lock down defense, they'd probably be undefeated right now and ranked in the Top 25.

Agreed on most things, but the last paragraph... If these players could play lock down defense, they'd probably be playing at Michigan State, not Oakland. My gripe with Kampe kind of goes along with what you're saying; he doesn't emphasise defense and hard work. His recruiting is focused on guys that want to score lots of points, record lots of assists, shoot lots of threes, etc. Furthermore, his coaching style, in my opinion, encourages laziness. Moving guys off the free throw line does not encourage hard work. Leaving players in for 40 minutes does not encourage playing 100% on the defensive end. And to be fair, if Oakland did the amount of double teams that Valpo did, they wouldn't be able to play the amount of minutes they do now, and certainly wouldn't be able to run as many fast breaks.

What makes Valpo's defense so great (besides having big athletic men), is their depth, and their ability to rotate and switch. This requires lots of running, hard work, and discipline. Valpo recruits guys that want to play this way. It's not sexy. It's much more fun to Tweet out how many 20 point games your guard has, and how many 3 pointers a player can attempt. It means less offensive continuity with a dozen different lineups, and it may mean less capable shooters on the court, but the results are very effective and rewarding.

wh

Quote from: a3uge on February 23, 2016, 12:15:04 PM

Agreed on most things, but the last paragraph... If these players could play lock down defense, they'd probably be playing at Michigan State, not Oakland. My gripe with Kampe kind of goes along with what you're saying; he doesn't emphasise defense and hard work. His recruiting is focused on guys that want to score lots of points, record lots of assists, shoot lots of threes, etc. Furthermore, his coaching style, in my opinion, encourages laziness. Moving guys off the free throw line does not encourage hard work. Leaving players in for 40 minutes does not encourage playing 100% on the defensive end. And to be fair, if Oakland did the amount of double teams that Valpo did, they wouldn't be able to play the amount of minutes they do now, and certainly wouldn't be able to run as many fast breaks.

What makes Valpo's defense so great (besides having big athletic men), is their depth, and their ability to rotate and switch. This requires lots of running, hard work, and discipline. Valpo recruits guys that want to play this way. It's not sexy. It's much more fun to Tweet out how many 20 point games your guard has, and how many 3 pointers a player can attempt. It means less offensive continuity with a dozen different lineups, and it may mean less capable shooters on the court, but the results are very effective and rewarding.

Wow!  You just blew my final paragraph away.   :clap:

SanityLost17

Quote from: wh on February 23, 2016, 01:13:24 PM
Quote from: a3uge on February 23, 2016, 12:15:04 PM

Wow!  You just blew my final paragraph away.   :clap:

I've read elsewhere that Valpo is "lucky" that their team happened to miss a bunch of free throws against us.  I don't think they give much thought that it is physically exhausting to score on our defense and defend us.  THAT is why teams shoot a low free throw % against us, not because they just happen to have an off game from the line. 

Valpower

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 24, 2016, 01:24:49 PM
Oakland Basketball: Tournament without Kay Felder wouldn't seem right

https://bustingbrackets.com/2016/02/22/oakland-basketball-tournament-without-kay-felder-wouldnt-seem-right/
If Felder doesn't get his team to the tournament, it would seem perfectly right to me.  It would mean he didn't score enough points and whom would you blame for that?  The Gods?  No.  His teammates?  Why would they be expected to pick up the slack come tournament time?  Kampe?  Perhaps, for rolling the dice on a score-first point guard.

Look, Felder is entertaining to watch, in a leading-man, action-movie kinda way, but I like me a good independent film with an excellent script and a solid ensemble cast.  And the Oscar goes to...

a3uge

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 24, 2016, 01:48:36 PM
I've read elsewhere that Valpo is "lucky" that their team happened to miss a bunch of free throws against us.  I don't think they give much thought that it is physically exhausting to score on our defense and defend us.  THAT is why teams shoot a low free throw % against us, not because they just happen to have an off game from the line.
Does free throw defense correlate with actual defense? That would be a fascinating study.

Kyle321n compiled some free throw defense stats here: http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2427.0

Opponents specifically shoot poorly at the ARC - the hostile environment probably has something to do with it; that's not luck. That's something the program has built over time.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on February 24, 2016, 03:05:20 PMDoes free throw defense correlate with actual defense? That would be a fascinating study.

Seems like the sort of thing Pomeroy would do - maybe has done.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on February 24, 2016, 03:39:58 PM
Quote from: a3uge on February 24, 2016, 03:05:20 PMDoes free throw defense correlate with actual defense? That would be a fascinating study.

Seems like the sort of thing Pomeroy would do - maybe has done.
Okay, I calculated - probably not statistically significant, but there's a slight positive correlation between opponents ft% and defensive rating this year. I ran correlation test between opponents free throw percentage and various metrics.

Opp FT% to dRTG
r=.237

Opp FT% to Opp TS%

Opp FT% to Opp eFG%

Opp FT% to Opp FTr (free throw rate)

Pace and steals had virtually no correlation. dRtg, opp TS%, and opp efg% had the highest correlation coefficient.

Might try a couple years worth of I get bored.

vu72

https://bustingbrackets.com/2016/02/22/oakland-basketball-tournament-without-kay-felder-wouldnt-seem-right/

Perhaps the writer could have better described Oakland as "little known" versus " He goes to a little mid-major school in the Horizon league named Oakland University"

If having 21000 students and 17000 undergrads is "little", how might he describe a likely One Seed like Villanova, with only 10000 total students, let alone Valpo?   ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

I saw a ranking on ESPN's website that had Felder as one of the top 15 players this year in the country and Alec Peters at 85. First, there is not that much of a difference (though obviously very different players at different positions). Second, Frank Mason of Kansas was 71st. Frank Mason has clearly been better than Felder. Mason doesn't take as many shots but overall is just about as good an offensive point guard. Furthermore, Frank Mason is far better defensively than Felder.

bbtds

Quote from: Valpower on February 24, 2016, 02:57:03 PM

If Felder doesn't get his team to the tournament, it would seem perfectly right to me.  It would mean he didn't score enough points and whom would you blame for that?  The Gods?  No.  His teammates?  Why would they be expected to pick up the slack come tournament time?  Kampe?  Perhaps, for rolling the dice on a score-first point guard.

Look, Felder is entertaining to watch, in a leading-man, action-movie kinda way, but I like me a good independent film with an excellent script and a solid ensemble cast.  And the Oscar goes to...

"The Help" because that is what Felder is so much in need of and an Oscar winning film.  ;)

mb230611

Quote from: Valpower on February 24, 2016, 02:57:03 PMIf Felder doesn't get his team to the tournament, it would seem perfectly right to me.  It would mean he didn't score enough points and whom would you blame for that?  The Gods?  No.  His teammates?  Why would they be expected to pick up the slack come tournament time? Kampe?  Perhaps, for rolling the dice on a score-first point guard. Look, Felder is entertaining to watch, in a leading-man, action-movie kinda way, but I like me a good independent film with an excellent script and a solid ensemble cast.  And the Oscar goes to...
If he's truly a score-first point guard, he probably wouldn't be leading the nation in assists with 9.2 per game (Milwaukee's Jordan Johnson is next with 8.0 per game)...