• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

SI Article

Started by 78crusader, March 03, 2016, 08:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

My only complaint about the SI article on VU bball is the reference to "tiny" Valparaiso. There are many adjectives that would accurately describe Valparaiso University but "tiny" is not one of them.  That term is a holdover from the many articles that came along in 1998 as a result of the Sweet Sixteen team. It wasn't accurate then and it isn't accurate now. An example of lazy reporting.

That said, overall the article is wonderful PR for our school and makes me proud to be an alum.

Paul

valpolaw

Is a link available to this article? 

bbtds

a3uge

Can anyone tell me what issue this is, or where to buy this? What does the cover look like?

NativeCheesehead

It's the March 7 issue, Golden State Warriors on the cover. Probably available at any newstand or a digital copy can be picked up on Amazon.

FWalum

Quote from: a3uge on March 04, 2016, 06:54:04 AM
Can anyone tell me what issue this is, or where to buy this? What does the cover look like?

Too bad this is all I can see without subscription.  Very nice picture of Keith.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on March 03, 2016, 08:00:18 PM
My only complaint about the SI article on VU bball is the reference to "tiny" Valparaiso. There are many adjectives that would accurately describe Valparaiso University but "tiny" is not one of them.  That term is a holdover from the many articles that came along in 1998 as a result of the Sweet Sixteen team. It wasn't accurate then and it isn't accurate now. An example of lazy reporting.

That said, overall the article is wonderful PR for our school and makes me proud to be an alum.

Agreed.  It is the same sort of writer that called Oakland, a school with 22,000 students, tiny or small or some such word.  It is lazy reporting, pure and simple or perhaps it is their way of some how adding exciting to possible matchups.  You know, "the giant (Duke) versus tiny Valpo.

Paul
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Came home last night from the left coast  and had my SI waiting for me. Went right to the Valpo article and the full page photo of Alec. Wow, if that is not big time exposure. Loved the article and the insights into the key players (never knew Alec's pre-game ritual until now) and coaches. Being forewarned, I cringed a little reading the "tiny" in the sub-head.  I thought the emphasis on family and faith was a great approach -- to a point. As I got to the end it struck me that, perhaps, the faith theme might have been slightly over-emphasized to the point where it almost made Valpo sound more like a bible-thumping small college than the diverse and open-minded university that I perceive my alma mater to be. I might be making a bigger deal of this one point than is warranted, but overall I loved the article.

Valpower

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 05, 2016, 11:35:30 AM
Came home last night from the left coast  and had my SI waiting for me. Went right to the Valpo article and the full page photo of Alec. Wow, if that is not big time exposure. Loved the article and the insights into the key players (never knew Alec's pre-game ritual until now) and coaches. Being forewarned, I cringed a little reading the "tiny" in the sub-head.  I thought the emphasis on family and faith was a great approach -- to a point. As I got to the end it struck me that, perhaps, the faith theme might have been slightly over-emphasized to the point where it almost made Valpo sound more like a bible-thumping small college than the diverse and open-minded university that I perceive my alma mater to be. I might be making a bigger deal of this one point than is warranted, but overall I loved the article.
I don't have an SI subscription (a physical magazine seems so quaint these days) so I'd be curious to know from where you feel the over-emphasis cameā€”the Valpo players and staff or the SI editorial angle? I too perceive Valpo as diverse and hope to never to hear our players sound anointed in victory.

VULB#62

Editorial.  Yes, our coaches and players have great character, share faith, have bought into a basketball family philosophy and an unselfish team-first work ethic.   It's what makes them special. I enjoyed the no cussing reference a lot too  :).   And all of these were present in the coverage.  But I thought the writer latched onto the prayer angle and somewhat overdeveloped it.  This is an exaggeration, but it seemed in that fairly short article we always seemed to be praying. Its a nit, on my part, that shouldn't take away from the splendid coverage.

historyman

I'd say that a Bryce Drew coached team is always praying and Thank God that Bryce continues to bring that aspect to his team.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

If "close minded" evangelical-type Christianity bothers anyone, they might want to look for a different men's basketball program to follow. Bryce is someone who openly shares his Christian faith with his players.  He believes that his responsibility is to help his players grow in body, mind and - are you ready for this - spirit. You know, that mysterious thing that needs to be nurtured through crazy things like praying, reading your Bible, and making conscious choices to avoid sinful behavior. He has an assistant nicknamed "Preacher," which tells you everything you need to know about his evangelical tendencies. The team starts every practice and pre-game with a prayer (think Hoosiers)  I'm guessing that prayers close with "...we ask these things in the name of (are you sitting down?) Jesus, Amen.  Is that offensive, or what?

NativeCheesehead

WH, you're exactly right. Those of us fortunate to know Homer, Bryce and the rest of the family know their faith and how they are in interviews is not an act. And that is one of my favorite parts of our program over the past couple of decades. But I think the point that was being made is that in this day and age, when some "Christian" preachers stand on stage with presidential candidates advocating the execution of some based on sexuality, the wrong message can be sent. I think this article did a pretty good job of sending the right message. If someone reading this article has a negative opinion of Valpo or Bryce after reading it due to their faith we don't want their support, their dollars, or their kids.

valpo64

Sounds like great P R for us.  I'm still trying to find a copy of the issue.   I do remember that some weeks ago the were press row seats reserved for Sports Illustrated.  I remember at the time that I was surprised to see them at press row at the ARC.  Now we know why.

VULB#62

It's worth getting the paper copy. 4 splashy pages with the first two pages covered by a one-and-a-half page picture of Alec scoring over Tiby.  We really look big time.

bbtds

VULB#62

We ARE mid major.   :)   But the SI article made us look like Power 5.   :thumbsup:

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 07, 2016, 05:16:10 PM
We ARE mid major.   :)   But the SI article made us look like Power 5.   :thumbsup:

Only because of the conference in which we play.  NOT the quality of the team and program.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 07, 2016, 05:16:10 PM

You certainly were correct about this.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

WiscoCrusader

NativeCheesehead said: "If someone reading this article has a negative opinion of Valpo or Bryce after reading it due to their faith we don't want their support, their dollars, or their kids."

Hmmm... I can't help but wonder, what was Bryce praying for all season? 

Wins over crappy opponents like Green Bay and Wright State?  That didn't work. 
Sweet 16?  That didn't work either. 
Health for the players?  Ask T Walker about that one.
Using basketball to spread God's word across the nation through the NCAA tournament?  Nope.
Using basketball to bring fans to Valpo to watch the conference tournament?  Haha, not anymore.
The first NCAA tournament win in 18 years?  Nope.
Happiness?  No Valpo fan is happy about this season.
Sportsmanship?  OK that worked but isn't that more of the Golden Rule anyway?

Does prayer really work?  Just asking.  Oh that's right, I forgot.  God operates on his own terms, and man couldn't hope to understand the complexity of his master plan with our feeble little minds.

If you haven't guessed, this proud Valpo grad is also a proud atheist, a quality that I picked up in large part from my many fantastic religion and philosophy classes at Valpo.  I wouldn't trade my days on campus for anything.  I do find the constant prayer on court ridiculous and silly, though not necessarily offensive.  Though it certainly may be offensive to the many non Christian students on campus.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know that myself and my kids won't be welcome on campus anymore.  I'll be sure not to send them or my dirty atheist money to my proud alma mater.  So much for an inclusive university...

a3uge

Quote from: WiscoCrusader on March 08, 2016, 09:49:30 AM
NativeCheesehead said: "If someone reading this article has a negative opinion of Valpo or Bryce after reading it due to their faith we don't want their support, their dollars, or their kids."

Using basketball to spread God's word across the nation through the NCAA tournament?  Nope.
Using basketball to bring fans to Valpo to watch the conference tournament?  Haha, not anymore.

Does prayer really work?  Just asking.  Oh that's right, I forgot.  God operates on his own terms, and man couldn't hope to understand the complexity of his master plan with our feeble little minds.

If you haven't guessed, this proud Valpo grad is also a proud atheist, a quality that I picked up in large part from my many fantastic religion and philosophy classes at Valpo.  I wouldn't trade my days on campus for anything.  I do find the constant prayer on court ridiculous and silly, though not necessarily offensive.  Though it certainly may be offensive to the many non Christian students on campus.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know that myself and my kids won't be welcome on campus anymore.  I'll be sure not to send them or my dirty atheist money to my proud alma mater.  So much for an inclusive university...
You seem like a fun person.

wh

Quote from: WiscoCrusader on March 08, 2016, 09:49:30 AM

This guy spends 3/4 of his post mocking Cristianity and portraying Bryce (and the rest of us) as fools for believing in it, then has the gall to whine about lack of inclusiveness.  So typical of Atheists' singular perception of respect and sensitivity. Frankly, I stopped worrying about Atheists' "feelings" years ago. They are perpetually "high maintenance" and impossible to please.

Smj

For some reason religion divides people and it is truly sad. ...

Go Valpo!

vu84v2

In my opinion, there are two types of 'faith based' universities. The first type is one that has a religious affiliation and has strong religious programs that are usually tied to one denomination. The message at these schools is that "we have high quality religion-based programs available and it is your choice regarding the degree that you want to get involved". The Jesuit universities (Marquette, Saint Louis, etc.) fall into this category and schools like Valparaiso do as well. Despite the polar opposites of some opinions expressed here, Valparaiso is (and should be) inclusive. The basketball program has to follow this to some extent and I believe it does. Bryce is fully entitled to follow his faith and he can invite players to join, but he has to be respectful of other beliefs. I can think of at least one prominent player whom I doubt had any major religious beliefs and he was fine at Valpo. Does anyone here actually believe that Bryce and his staff would not welcome and be respectful of a Catholic player? a Jewish player? an agnostic player? He and his staff seem way too ethical to not be respectful.

The second type of 'faith based' university requires belief consistent with the university to attend and be a part of the university. Examples of schools here would be Wheaton, Liberty, etc., and, to a somewhat lesser extent, schools like Notre Dame or Baylor. And yet the athletic programs at Notre Dame and Baylor certainly accept people of different faiths and beliefs (though this might just be to get the best athletes). Valparaiso should never let itself fall into this second category...and I strongly doubt the 'powers at be' would let that happen.

VULB#62

Good analysis, vu84v2, in my opinion.  When I first noted the writer's prayer theme and mentioned it (which kicked off this little debate) my point was that I hoped that the impression it left would not be that Valpo is the latter type ( I used the term Bible-thumping). Those types of schools, again IMO, are much too restrictive/exclusive (and, in my view, on the extreme side of the religious continuum).  And that's fine for those who want that, but by nature they exclude many good people.  Heck, Valpo has a kid running around on the soccer field with a turban (that might not be the right name for it).  We recruit football players from some great catholic high schools.  What makes Valpo so special to me is that I believe that by being Christian/Lutheran at the core and at the same time being welcoming and inclusive, VU does a great job of exhibiting the value of tolerance and acceptance -- a truly Christian ideal.  I went through the Lutheran schools (elementary through Valpo).  I was LCMS. Many of my classmates at Concordia Prep in Bronxville were part of the Seminex movement, and I stay in touch with some to this day.  But I no longer go to church (although I am not uncomfortable if I wind up in a pew because of family responsibilities).  I used to when my kids were growing up.  I was the president of my LCMS congregation.   But some of the extremes and politicking that I viewed eventually turned me off --  that was just me. But even now, I think back to my Valpo experience and thank my time there for teaching me tolerance and accepting people for who they are.  My faith hasn't  changed, just how I internalize it.

BTW, I don't know much about Baylor other than it is the largest Baptist university in the country, but I would lump ND in with Boston College and Marquette, Saint Louis, etc. not the second group.  BYU, perhaps, comes to mind as a good replacement example of a type 2 school.