• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 32: Green Bay at Joe Louis Arena - Horizon League Semifinals - 3/7/16

Started by agibson, March 06, 2016, 03:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Brutal final 4 minutes. Need to keep pressing after they overcommit on offensive rebounds.

atkins

Yet another bad first half.  What's with the terrible free throw shooting?  Alec is not having his best defensive or offensive game.  Continued poor shooting.  Too many missed layups, etc.  We are not making a strong case for an at-large bid, so let's hope we pull it out. 

valpo64

What's with Fouse?  Never seen him score like this.  I believe we will see an entirely different second half...and it's about time to show why we are top dog in the HL!!

vu84v2

Green Bay took Valpo out of their offense on the perimeter and then sagged big time to take away the inside game. Need adjustments and more ball movement on offense.

Valpower

Quote from: atkins on March 07, 2016, 07:02:17 PM
Yet another bad first half.  What's with the terrible free throw shooting?  Alec is not having his best defensive or offensive game.  Continued poor shooting.  Too many missed layups, etc.  We are not making a strong case for an at-large bid, so let's hope we pull it out. 
Our comparatively large rotation has been a double-edged sword for us. It's made it difficult for others to defend because anyone can score, but it often makes it difficult to get into an offensive flow, as well. Green Bay is confident offensively and has the huge advantage of being acclimated to the environment. I have my doubts about our perimeter game coming to the rescue tonight. At this point, we have to hope we establish something inside and that Green Bay gets tired.

VULB#62

4/14 3pt FGs vas GBs 10/18 tells the tail so far. Why are we not pounding it inside?

sliman

Green Bay is very well coached and when they hit 57 percent from 3 they are be difficult for anyone to beat.  Actually they look more comfortable having played the past two nights than we do with more than a week off.

mj

I believe that we will win.

valpotx

I don't know who was worse in this game between Bryce's lack of defensive adjustments, E Victor thinking that he is a jump shooter, to Darien Walker's inability to do anything.  What a big disappointment that this team will be going to the NIT.  The Horizon League got what they wanted in having someone other than Valpo representing the conference in the tourney, and it will be a joke to see which team that is.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Geez, I have never seen such a crappy transition from Junior to Senior year, as we have seen from Darien this season.  He had a good stretch during the HL season of maybe 6 games, but was otherwise abysmal for us this season. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

Lack of a true point guard hurt us in ot. Have to give Green Bay credit. They hit the shots, got the rebounds and made the free throws they had to. They played with more poise and deserved to win. Sad end to what was a realistic shot at doing some damage in the dance.

mj

I believe that we will win.

usc4valpo

tx, give GB credit, they are outplaying and outhustling Valpo. What a disappointment, and blaming it on the neutral site is a lame excuse. Sad.

vu72

Pretty simple.  Our great defensive team gives up 99 in the loss. Fernandez disappears.  On to the NIT.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NativeCheesehead

No blaming this on a neutral site. We were outplayed, outhustled, and outcoached. I blame four games against RPI #296 and #347 for costing us an at large. Rooting for Oak here on out.

govalpogo

I think that I'm too tired to be angry...certainly a letdown...Fouse and Love were just possessed and not going to lose to Valpo again...GB really played well and hit huge shot after huge shot...great effort from Alec...what an ending to regulation...missed Carter big time in OT...team used up its energy on the first comeback...momentum from having two games to "practice" in a different arena?  March madness begins and that's a two-edged sword when you have a target on your back and an opponent looking for revenge. 

jloose128

There is no reason to blame the neutral site, though many of us will and should, but this game was pretty hard to fathom. Did anybody but Peters even look like they wanted to play the last ten minutes? Adekoya with a boneheaded three attempt near the end of regulation, careless turnovers by Nickerson and sloppiness by Hammink. Also, what in the world was up with Green Bay's shooting? They couldn't miss from the three, so why weren't we actually guarding the 3 point line instead of daring them to shoot. Unbelievable. I am sick to my stomach.

usc4valpo

I am rooting for Billy Donlan, a fine North Shore Central Suburban League product,  and Wright State.

nkvu

Not having T Walker to defend Green Bay's guards was a big factor. They penetrated at will leaving way to many wide open looks from 3 which was the difference in the game. I think he could have cut that back enough for us to win.

atkins

Green Bay was the better team on a neutral court.  I think we will see them in the Big Dance.  They deserve it. 

Peters is one tough ballplayer, but as a whole, Valpo really needs to work on physical and mental toughness. Once again, we lacked a killer instinct.  As this game illustrated, mere height and weight do not get the job done.

As was said in the ESPN studio, Valpo is done.  If I were a member of the NCAA selection team, I would have seen little tonight to warrant Valpo's at-large selection.  I would vote for Wichita State and Monmouth.  Both of them also lost, but they are better teams at this point in the season.

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 07, 2016, 08:38:29 PM
tx, give GB credit, they are outplaying and outhustling Valpo. What a disappointment, and blaming it on the neutral site is a lame excuse. Sad.

I didn't blame it on the neutral court, I was just implying that you could have pretty much given the bid to Valpo if it was still on our home court, with this team.  Therefore, the HL got what they wanted, in that no one had home court advantage.  Don't assume the intent of someone's post as anything more than the words they use...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Oren on Twitter: "Valparaiso doesn't lose this game if it's at the ARC."

Best part of the television coverage was when they showed scenes from last year's championship at the ARC. The tremendous difference in atmosphere was evident for everyone watching. I hope the Horizon League is happy!