• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 32: Green Bay at Joe Louis Arena - Horizon League Semifinals - 3/7/16

Started by agibson, March 06, 2016, 03:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rink

Quote from: valpotx on March 07, 2016, 08:23:43 PM
The Horizon League got what they wanted in having someone other than Valpo representing the conference in the tourney, and it will be a joke to see which team that is.

I think it's time to stop pretending that we're some special darling that deserves anything other than what we get.  The reality is that we are NOT head and shoulders better than the rest of the Horizon league.  It's not like we've been dominating and now suddenly the carpet is getting pulled out from under us.  In the last three weeks we've lost to Wright State at home, squeaked by Oakland by two points at home, were tied with UWM at the end of regulation, and squeaked by Green Bay by two points.  A loss to Green Bay tonight shouldn't be some great surprise -- and it certainly could have happened in the ARC.  We've played like nothing more than a garden-variety upper-tier-of-a-weak-conference team since mid-February.

Lousy job by Bryce down the stretch, IMO.  Had the horses for something great.  Playing at the same level as Wright State, Oakland, UWM, and Green Bay in the end is FAR from something great.

sliman

Iona beat Monmouth twice and we beat Iona so I wouldn't say Monmouth is a much better choice than we would be and Wichita State's resume is weaker than either of us.  But, we didn't get the job done so we may have to pay the price.  If those of you at the game, taped it to watch later.  Stop watching prior to the cut to the talking heads in the studio after the game.  Once again people haven't done their homework, replying instead of what they read and hear others say.  Sorta of like saying if it's on the internet, it's true!  Despite the fact that Tevonn didn't have as much success the second time through the conference as he did earlier, it's clear we need him.

usc4valpo

Oren may be right but GB was the better team tonight. You have to play wherever and prove you are the best, which Valpo did not. Valpo's defense was certainly lacking and Vashil was not much of a factor tonight. What a disappointment and the SI jinx strikes again.

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 07, 2016, 08:53:37 PM
Oren may be right but GB was the better team tonight. You have to play wherever and prove you are the best, which Valpo did not. Valpo's defense was certainly lacking and Vashil was not much of a factor tonight. What a disappointment and the SI jinx strikes again.

What a lame excuse to blame the SI jinx...sad.  Oh wait, I should have read that differently??
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

Again, no problem with the neutral court, just the way the move was done.

I am getting so drunk tonight.  >:(

a3uge

Just brutal. Green Bay played amazing, we didn't. Going to be hard to watch the NIT.

usc4valpo

I am being sarcastic tx. Valpo blew it period. I wonder how this game effects Bryce's stock as a coach.

valpopal

CBS's Jerry Palm: "Hard to say what might have happened, but Horizon taking home court away from top seed may help keep best team out."

Smj

Say whatever you want but you are wrong if you think this is not bad for the horizon league.    Welcome 14 or 15 seed.

Go Valpo!

valpotx

Thank you, as some of you get what I was hinting around.  When you are a one bid conference, why would you make this an immediate decision when you have a team that can legitimately beat someone in the NCAA tourney?  Of course the other ADs would outvote Valpo, as they knew that they wouldn't win the regular season, and wouldn't win the tourney on our court this season.  The attendance doesn't look like it will be any higher than it would have been under the previous format.  The other HL teams do not travel well, so if Oakland is not in the championship, you are going to have a sad showing on national TV with GB vs. Wright State, and the 500 fans in attendance.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

IDK, there is a lot of hype for Felder. But this has to be one of the worst moments in Valpo hoops history. Worse than Rob Harden's one finger salute in 1984.

valpo84

There's lots to say about woulda coulda shoulda, but this team came backed and willed itself to OT. It then was down 10 in OT and still had chances down the stretch. It's disappointing and we needed to win this game, but there was never a lack of effort in those 45 minutes. UWGB had one of those nights that we couldn't overcome.  This team deserves an at large but CBB is about that. We at least deserve a chance in Dayton again at Wichita State!  That is a game that deserves to be played.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

usc4valpo

ok, so what will it take for Valpo to make the tournamment? I understand there is a remote chance.

I think a USC loss to UCLA may help.

Goraiders93

Don't want to come across as an absolute ass, but if your team couldn't win a neutral site league tournament game to Green Bay, were they really going to be successful in the NCAA Tournament?? I don't know many people who like the new format, so don't act as if only Valpo was affected.

valpotx

Not going to happen.  You can't lose to Ball State, Wright State twice, and in the semi-final of the 20th ranked conference in regards to RPI.  If we were still a top 15 conference in RPI, I think that we would have a chance, as our RPI/SOS would be better.  The debate now should be what seed will we be given in the NIT?  Do we get a crappy seed, since we are from a mid-major, or do we get the #1/#2 seed in a region, since we will be one of the first few teams outside of the NCAA tourney?
"Don't mess with Texas"

Smj

I REALLY want GB and Wright state in the final... It is not right for Oakland to have home court advantage.

Go Valpo!

rink

Quote from: valpotx on March 07, 2016, 09:03:09 PM
when you have a team that can legitimately beat someone in the NCAA tourney?

I don't get it, why* can Valpo beat teams in the NCAA tourney but other teams can't?  Over the past few weeks, haven't we have played right at the same level as Wright St, UWM, UWGB, and Oakland?  Just look at the recent games we've played!  I know we thought we were an amazing super team this season that would outshine the rest of the league, but right now we're no better than the other top teams in the conference -- which means, not very good in the big picture.

*Seeding, I guess.  But the spirit of the original comment was, "we're good enough to play with the big boys, unlike these other teams".  There's been no evidence lately that we're capable of playing with big boys ... we settled right down to the level of Wright St, UWM, UWGB, and Oakland when all was said and done.  No better.

valpotx

Quote from: Goraiders93 on March 07, 2016, 09:12:40 PM
Don't want to come across as an absolute ass, but if your team couldn't win a neutral site league tournament game to Green Bay, were they really going to be successful in the NCAA Tournament?? I don't know many people who like the new format, so don't act as if only Valpo was affected.

Yes, you can look to last season when we lost to a top Maryland team by 3.  We won the league by 3 games, it wasn't even close.  Don't come on here acting like you didn't mean to be a d*ck, when you know that is why you came on here in the first place. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

atkins

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 07, 2016, 08:57:24 PMI am being sarcastic tx. Valpo blew it period. I wonder how this game effects Bryce's stock as a coach.

I don't think this was one of Bryce's better games, and it could be among his worst, but Bryce can only do so much....The guys on the court have to bring home the bacon, and they were not up to the challenge tonight.

a3uge

Quote from: Goraiders93 on March 07, 2016, 09:12:40 PM
Have you ever seen basketball before?

Goraiders93

I view and have posted here before so that's inaccurate, just curious as to what the general perceptions would be; some are grounded and sensible, most are all emotion.

VUOR63

If Oregon State beats Oregon for the Pac 12 tournament title, would Valpo look better as an at-large?

Goraiders93

Great regular season for your team, hopefully the league can tweak and improve the tournament after this year.

Nothing but the best for Valpo in the postseason.

crusaderjoe

"Fouse, Cooper & Love"

Tonight, it's like the name of the law firm that your ex-wife hired for divorce proceedings and you just found out that not only does she get half but she also gets the dog and you've got to pay 5K a month to her in alimony for the next 20 years even though she makes more than you do.

Hell of a job by UWGB.  They would have beaten Valpo anywhere.  I hope they win this thing.

usc4valpo

Relax tx, this sucks bad but be nice.  ;)

I don't think the Raider guy meant any harm. He had a valid point.