• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 36 Valpo vs. BYU, Madison Square Garden, Tuesday, March 29, 2016; 6 CDT

Started by agibson, March 23, 2016, 12:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Per the NCAA website we have the early game. ESPN, 6 PM CDT.

agibson

Glancing at the roughest KenPom numbers (offense, defense, overall, tempo) it looks like BYU might be roughly in the vein of UWGB. Strong offense, quick tempo, but some defense as well. Supposed to be better than GB, of course. I have no idea if they aim for something RP40-like on defense, and haven't checked to see if they e.g. match GB's steal numbers. Offense not quite as high powered as Oakland, but better defense, and a slightly quicker tempo.

VUSWIM08-12

tickets purchased, section 119 tenth row...figure I should go to NYC and MSG at least once and this is the perfect excuse!!

valpospartan

Quote from: VUSWIM08-12 on March 23, 2016, 02:22:35 PM
tickets purchased, section 119 tenth row...figure I should go to NYC and MSG at least once and this is the perfect excuse!!

I will be represented by my son, who lives in Hartford, CT, and is an IU grad.  He roots for VU, because of me.  He purchased a ticket shortly after the win, last night. 

vu72

Quote from: agibson on March 23, 2016, 12:40:11 PM
Glancing at the roughest KenPom numbers (offense, defense, overall, tempo) it looks like BYU might be roughly in the vein of UWGB. Strong offense, quick tempo, but some defense as well. Supposed to be better than GB, of course. I have no idea if they aim for something RP40-like on defense, and haven't checked to see if they e.g. match GB's steal numbers. Offense not quite as high powered as Oakland, but better defense, and a slightly quicker tempo.

Sagarin has it almost a dead heat as BYU is ranked #41 and we are #42.  The play 7 deep and start 6'7, 6'8, 6'10, 6'2 and 6'3. Main guy off the bench is 6'6 and some time for their 6'11 guy. They only outrebounded Creighton by 2.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on March 23, 2016, 03:58:23 PMSagarin has it almost a dead heat as BYU is ranked #41 and we are #42.  The play 7 deep and start 6'7, 6'8, 6'10, 6'2 and 6'3. Main guy off the bench is 6'6 and some time for their 6'11 guy. They only outrebounded Creighton by 2.

KenPom's not so close. Valpo #32, BYU #52. My simple KenPom analysis was pretty good at predicting Vegas lines for our first three games, but those were maybe dominated by the home court advantage. The same analysis would suggest we'll be maybe 2 or 2.5 point favorites on a neutral court - we'll see. (The people actually setting the lines might worry also about how many "fan" bets the two sides are likely to attract, would could depend on size of alumni or other fan support, etc.  But maybe mormons don't gamble?)

agibson

The alumni bus trip details are out - if anyone doesn't have them let us know, we could probably post them here. $200 for the bus trip from Valpo, leaving Monday just before midnight! I think that does _not_ include tickets. Maybe I'll give that info at least.

Game Tickets
Tickets in section 106 can be purchased through the Valpo Athletics ticket office by calling 877-MY-VU-TIX (877-698-8849) or 219-464-5233.

Additional tickets in section 104 may also be purchased directly through the Madison Square Garden box office at the following link. Use the code GOVALPO to take advantage of this offer. Users must create a ticketing account to proceed, and tickets must be downloaded and printed off at home.

Pregame dinner/pep rally at Stout NYC.

OK - and here's a public version of the advertisement
http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2015-16/15376/tickets-available-for-crusaders-trip-to-msg/#.VvMjXhIrLUp

But, they don't list ticket prices.

Could someone give us a sense what tickets are going for? I can't make the trip, but I'm curious.

govalpogo

Buddy and I got tickets from stub hub last night for $19 each.  Double header tickets too.  We are in the 100 level (middle up) in the corner.  Better tickets closer to center court range anywhere from $40-80, most expensive in the 100's, some up in the rafters for $14 and up.   

We live in the area so we aren't taking the bus or staying in a hotel or anything like that so I can't be of much help there. 

gamelord

Since we are going into the nit final four and are the only #1 seed remaining...does that mean we are heavily favored to win the whole thing?  ;D

agibson

Quote from: gamelord on March 23, 2016, 07:17:31 PM
Since we are going into the nit final four and are the only #1 seed remaining...does that mean we are heavily favored to win the whole thing?  ;D

When my son asked I suggested maybe 1:3 favorites, but I've not thought hard at it.

frontrowfan

Quote from: agibson on March 23, 2016, 05:36:12 PM

The alumni bus trip details are out - if anyone doesn't have them let us know, we could probably post them here. $200 for the bus trip from Valpo, leaving Monday just before midnight! I think that does _not_ include tickets. Maybe I'll give that info at least.

Game Tickets
Tickets in section 106 can be purchased through the Valpo Athletics ticket office by calling 877-MY-VU-TIX (877-698-8849) or 219-464-5233.

Additional tickets in section 104 may also be purchased directly through the Madison Square Garden box office at the following link. Use the code GOVALPO to take advantage of this offer. Users must create a ticketing account to proceed, and tickets must be downloaded and printed off at home.

Pregame dinner/pep rally at Stout NYC.

OK - and here's a public version of the advertisement
http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2015-16/15376/tickets-available-for-crusaders-trip-to-msg/#.VvMjXhIrLUp

But, they don't list ticket prices.

Could someone give us a sense what tickets are going for? I can't make the trip, but I'm curious.
. All tickets in 106 gone.

wh

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/story.cfm/story/1756967

This link shows the odds of winning for the entire 32-team field. Of the 4 finalists Valpo's odds are considerably better than the other 3. We should be a lock for favorite to win the championship.

VUSWIM08-12

mine in 119,10th row, were $55 each plus fees so $125 total...I'll probably end up in the BYU section... I'll have to yell Jimmer each time we make a 3 :crazy:

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpower

Stats for the NIT, only:

Team      Avg Score      Avg Opp Score      Margin   
   BYU      88      79      9.00   
   George Washington      84      76      7.67   
   San Diego St.      81      63      18.33   
   Valparaiso      76      62      14.33   

talksalot

from the VU Alumni facebook page as the lead in to the funding link...

"You asked and were heard: If you would like to help donate to help the Pep Band go to the NIT, please click the following link. All donations are tax deductible and you will receive a gift receipt for tax purposes."

VUBandDad

Apparently VU picks up the costs for the pep band to travel to the conference tourney and, should they make it, NCAA tourney (because the NCAA provides funds).  There was no budget for the pep band to travel for the NIT tourney.  This is why there is a plea for funds - so the pep band can make the trip.

PS - The band found out about this yesterday (Wednesday)

talksalot

from the VU Alumni facebook page as the lead in to the funding link...

"You asked and were heard: If you would like to help donate to help the Pep Band go to the NIT, please click the following link. All donations are tax deductible and you will receive a gift receipt for tax purposes."

covufan

This will be a close game, but with the way Alec has been playing and his leadership, I believe we pull out a win!

Valpo    77
BYU      73

talksalot

BYU Losses this year:

@ #82 Long Beach State 66-65 (in the ESPN Kickoff Marathon)
@ #9  Utah 83-75
@ #46 Colorado 92-83
Diamond Head Classic:  to #87 Harvard 85-82 - OT
@ #28 St. Mary's 85-74
@ #250  Portland 84-81
@ #133  Pepperdine 71-65
HOME - #255  Pacific 77-72
HOME - #29  Gonzaga 71-68
WCC Tourney - #29  Gonzaga - 88-84

They are 16-2 at home, 6-6 on the road and 4-2 Neutral court

BYU         VALPO
RPI top 50:    2-5          2-1
51 - 100:      5-1          4-1
101-200:      5-2        11-4
201+           13-2        10-0

Here's the link to their stat-sheet:

http://byucougars.com/stats/m-basketball/2015-2016

One big advantage they have is that they have played in cavernous arenas....

ATTENDANCE
Home games-Avg/Game 18-14,699
  Away games-Avg/Game 12-4,776
Neutral site-Avg/Game -    6-8,432

Common Opponents: 

Belmont:  BYU 95- Bruins 81
St Marys:    Gaels 85 Cougars 74 (New Years Eve)
St Marys:    Cougars 70 Gaels 59 (Feb 6)

talksalot

Here's the recap on their loss to Pacific:

PROVO, Utah – BYU basketball suffered its first home loss of the season in a 77-72 setback to Pacific Saturday afternoon in the Marriott Center.
"We got off to a good start and shared the ball well, but defensively we were a step slow," BYU head coach Dave Rose said. "We've watched this team over the last three or four weeks and they play everybody really close. We know it's a team that has really talented individuals that are tough matchups for us. They guard us really well and they're very physical."

The Cougars (17-8, 8-4 West Coast Conference) shot just 33.9 percent in the game and 23.3 percent in the second half while the Tigers (7-15, 5-7 WCC) came away with their second road win of the season. The game was close throughout as it featured 17 lead changes and 12 ties.

Chase Fischer led all scorers with 23 points, including three 3-pointers and 14 of 14 shooting from the free-throw line. Kyle Davis shot a team-best 8 of 11 from the floor for 21 points to go along with five rebounds, while Kyle Collinsworth added nine points, 12 boards and four assists.
BYU held a 34-32 lead at halftime as Davis scored 11 points on 5-of-5 shooting and Chase Fischer hit 3 of 6 from 3-point range.
Despite struggling from the field in the beginning of the second half, BYU led 43-40 at the 14:21 mark.

Pacific, which held the upper hand in second-half shooting at 40 percent, moved ahead for the first time in the second half on a pair of DJ Ursery free throws for a 49-48 advantage at the 10:45 mark.

Down 59-56 BYU tied it up with 4:33 left in the game as Emery was fouled on a 3-pointer attempt and converted all three free throws.
The Cougars took a 1-point lead on a Collinsworth free throw, but the Tigers pushed back in front, breaking an 0-for-5 streak on a T.J. Wallace 3-pointer for the 62-60 advantage with 3:30 left in the game.

With 1:38 to play Pacific extended the lead to its largest of the game, 68-62 on a pair of Alec Kobre free throws. BYU cut the deficit to three points with 10 seconds left, but the Tigers kept the Cougars at bay with two more free throws for the eventual 77-72 final tally.

usc4valpo

Wow, Valpo playing at the same venue where the King of Entertainment, Frank Sinatra, has his Main Event comeback concert on October 13, 1974. I could hear Howard Cosell doing the introduction as they welcome Frank comes to the entire western hemisphere ...