• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Ryan getting respect on the Butler board

Started by vu72, August 23, 2011, 09:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Just visited over there and two guys who were predicting first and second team all conference teams had Ryan as a second teamer.  No mention of any other Valpo players and interestingly enough, both had only one Butler guy in the top 10, that being Marshall as a second teamer.  Actually the other guy had either Marshall or Smith as second teamers.

So, does anyone think any other Valpo guys can crack the top 10?  I can certainly see the potential for Edwards, Bogan or Boggs being named to the all newcomer team.  Sleeper all conference:  Matt Kenney.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

blackpantheruwm

I don't know about Matt Kenney.  I certainly know he can dunk, but even on a team with three bona fide scorers, six points per game is a little low to be banking on him as all-conference.  Potentially, sure, but I just don't know where you've got the confidence that he will do it.

Sleeper, sure.  Deep sleeper.

I'm very interested to see what Ryan Broekhoff will do now that he will draw the best defender of each team and not the third-best.  As a small forward, he's not likely to see the defenders that Brandon Wood saw - they're likely to key on Jay Harris - but he will inherit Cory Johnson's foes on the offensive end.

With no proven low-post presence, the Crusaders might start to see a lot of 3-2 zones to defend the perimeter and force VU to lower shooting percentages.

All in all, you'd be kidding yourself if you think Broekhoff and VU won't miss Johnson and Wood, just like my fellow Panthers would be amiss if they thought we'd get on fine without Anthony Hill.

vu72

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on August 23, 2011, 03:27:22 PM
I don't know about Matt Kenney.  I certainly know he can dunk, but even on a team with three bona fide scorers, six points per game is a little low to be banking on him as all-conference.  Potentially, sure, but I just don't know where you've got the confidence that he will do it.

Sleeper, sure.  Deep sleeper.

I'm very interested to see what Ryan Broekhoff will do now that he will draw the best defender of each team and not the third-best.  As a small forward, he's not likely to see the defenders that Brandon Wood saw - they're likely to key on Jay Harris - but he will inherit Cory Johnson's foes on the offensive end.

With no proven low-post presence, the Crusaders might start to see a lot of 3-2 zones to defend the perimeter and force VU to lower shooting percentages.

All in all, you'd be kidding yourself if you think Broekhoff and VU won't miss Johnson and Wood, just like my fellow Panthers would be amiss if they thought we'd get on fine without Anthony Hill.

well said and i understand where you are coming from.  Looking at point production from last year is a little deceptive in that Brandon and Cory took a lot of shots and rightly so.  Kenney is a guy who can jump out of the gym at 6'3" (best vertical on the team) and could end up playing the 3 even though Ryan is our best natural 3 and taller.  both will be hard to defend for a smaller guy as Ryan is 6'6" and kenney is built like a fullback, not like Jay Harris.  I agree it is a long shot for Matt, but, with the other guys gone and his defensive abilities, I suspect he will get many more minutes to show his talents.  ryan will be a load to cover with his range and rebounding abilities.

We hear that kevin is better back wise and what that translates to in terms of minutes is again, anybody's guess.  He is a beast down low and will be a better rebounder than Cory. 

You might be right about the zones but with our size on the wings (Ryan and Richie) getting shots off shouldn't be a problem.  If we start hitting then all sorts of other scoring options come into play and of course we have a bunch of question marks about what the 5 will look like and who plays it.

I'm not kidding myself about the loss of a first teamer and a second teamer the year before.  I just think we have a bunch of talent coming in and how that all works together will prove to be either really good or--potentially really bad!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo84

I also think we'd love to see a 3-2 zone. Let's not forget our 2 shooting last year wasn't terrific but our 2-pt % was outstanding (except for a couple notable misses :'(  ). The offensive schemes last year found open looks and would against an extended 3-2. We ran a lot of stuff to attack the 5 foot range last year and that is where the gaps are in the zone. If we pass like we did last year then scoring isn't my biggest concern. It will all start with defense and rebounding and team blend. We have a bunch of new guys to work in and some guys who will be playing significantly more minutes. Also, when we had our really good stretch before the collapse is when Kenney wasn't hurt and coming off the bench as the "6th" man. That should continue to be his role and "glue guy."
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

motowntitan

vu72,

Are you talking about the Butler yuku board/  Because I was just there and don't see any thread about pre-season picks.

vu72

Quote from: motowntitan on August 25, 2011, 06:54:19 PM
vu72,

Are you talking about the Butler yuku board/  Because I was just there and don't see any thread about pre-season picks.

Yes.  The thread is titled "Horizon League preview--Detroit the early pick"

The last post was 7/30 so its down a few pages.