• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2021

Started by FWalum, March 15, 2018, 08:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: vu72 on April 11, 2021, 12:56:01 PM
I don't know, only 9 of 11... ;D

This sequence will allow fwalum to get a good look at his mechanics.

What, no kill-joy replies yet to help us temper our expectations? Comments like:

•How do we know they didn't cherry pick that footage? He might have shot 1 for 187 the rest of the session. I'm not saying he did, just saying he could have.
•That was on his home court. He probably/maybe/possibly wouldn't do as well on a court he wasn't familiar with. I'm not saying he wouldn't, just probably/maybe/possibly wouldn't.
•9-11 unguarded doesn't mean he would hit 9-11 guarded.
•We've seen videos similar to this from past recruits and they didn't shoot that well when they got here. I'm not saying that will be the case with Keyondre, just cautioning everyone that college is different than high school.

Edit: I spoke too soon. Thanks, Tex. You saved the day!  ;)

valpotx

It's a fact, I don't know what else to say.  If you've ever watched a D-1 practice, the vast majority of their undefended shots go in.  I watched parts of 100s of practices during my time at Valpo, as our running sessions were often at the same time that they held portions of their practices.  Even Jason Hawkins, and my friend Josiah Martino, who were walk-ons.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

JD24

Quote from: wh on April 15, 2021, 12:21:42 PMThrough the legs - vertical, hang time, athleticism https://www.twitter.com/HeavenlyGifted/status/1382500287261384707
That appears to be Mr. Young's home gym which would indicate he's taking a step back in facilities.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on April 15, 2021, 02:05:14 PM
Quote from: wh on April 15, 2021, 12:21:42 PMThrough the legs - vertical, hang time, athleticism https://www.twitter.com/HeavenlyGifted/status/1382500287261384707
That appears to be Mr. Young's home gym which would indicate he's taking a step back in facilities.

True if he was sitting on one of those seats but fortunately for us he will be on the court.  Basket is still 10 feet.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vok22

I know it has been said a thousand times, but: I will not be too discouraged if we don't decide to give out any more scholarships, but if we do I would love a center that can rebound and defend.  Thinking about what that would do to our lineup is exciting. It would mean we most likely have a 6th year point guard starting (Gordon or Anderson), Krikke can play the 4, and we'd have somebody in the paint that can play defense and rebound. Round out the starting lineup with possibly Kevion Taylor and Edwards, we would still have a TON of talent coming off the bench. Taylor, Anderson, Gordon, Barrett, Palesse, and Woodyard all seem like/are certified 3 point threats, while I could see Edwards and Young becoming proficient from deep as well. We were near last place in the country shooting the three last year. It seems like we have already addressed possibly our biggest weakness in a huge way this offseason.

Last season we shot 29.7% from three. 317/340 in the country.

Let's take a look at some of next years rosters 3 point shooting percentages for their career:
Anderson: 39.2%
Taylor: 40.9%
Barrett: 39.7%
Gordon: 35.3%
Edwards: 30% , 32.6% in conference, improved a lot as the season went on and he started taking less bad shots
Woodyard: Freshman, touted for ability to shoot the three.
Palesse: Freshman, shot 54% in high school from deep
Young: Don't know for sure. He looks like he will be a better shooter than Clay, but I won't go as far as to say he's going to be a really good shooter.

With no Donovan Clay to tank our shooting, a healthy Barrett, two transfers who have proved they can shoot lights out in a college setting, two new freshmen who are known for their shooting, and an Edwards who improved so much throughout the season, could our most notable weakness become one of our biggest strengths. We saw how difficult it was to space the floor this year and it really hampered our offense. Let's see if Lottich's offense starts to look like it makes any sense this year with some shooters on the team.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vok22 on April 15, 2021, 04:22:36 PMI know it has been said a thousand times, but: I will not be too discouraged if we don't decide to give out any more scholarships, but if we do I would love a center that can rebound and defend.  Thinking about what that would do to our lineup is exciting. It would mean we most likely have a 6th year point guard starting (Gordon or Anderson), Krikke can play the 4, and we'd have somebody in the paint that can play defense and rebound. Round out the starting lineup with possibly Kevion Taylor and Edwards, we would still have a TON of talent coming off the bench. Taylor, Anderson, Gordon, Barrett, Palesse, and Woodyard all seem like/are certified 3 point threats, while I could see Edwards and Young becoming proficient from deep as well. We were near last place in the country shooting the three last year. It seems like we have already addressed possibly our biggest weakness in a huge way this offseason. Last season we shot 29.7% from three. 317/340 in the country. Let's take a look at some of next years rosters 3 point shooting percentages for their career: Anderson: 39.2% Taylor: 40.9% Barrett: 39.7% Gordon: 35.3% Edwards: 30% , 32.6% in conference, improved a lot as the season went on and he started taking less bad shots Woodyard: Freshman, touted for ability to shoot the three. Palesse: Freshman, shot 54% in high school from deep Young: Don't know for sure. He looks like he will be a better shooter than Clay, but I won't go as far as to say he's going to be a really good shooter. With no Donovan Clay to tank our shooting, a healthy Barrett, two transfers who have proved they can shoot lights out in a college setting, two new freshmen who are known for their shooting, and an Edwards who improved so much throughout the season, could our most notable weakness become one of our biggest strengths. We saw how difficult it was to space the floor this year and it really hampered our offense. Let's see if Lottich's offense starts to look like it makes any sense this year with some shooters on the team.

I know this is crying over spilled milk but Ognacevic would have really helped with this as well. But yes if we improve from outside and our guard play improves we're going to be a lot better. If we had a Vashil type presence on this team to round it all out I would be pretty excited.

Pgmado

Could be a big couple days coming up.

crusader05

wh

Quote from: vok22 on April 15, 2021, 04:22:36 PM
I know it has been said a thousand times, but: I will not be too discouraged if we don't decide to give out any more scholarships, but if we do I would love a center that can rebound and defend.  Thinking about what that would do to our lineup is exciting. It would mean we most likely have a 6th year point guard starting (Gordon or Anderson), Krikke can play the 4, and we'd have somebody in the paint that can play defense and rebound. Round out the starting lineup with possibly Kevion Taylor and Edwards, we would still have a TON of talent coming off the bench. Taylor, Anderson, Gordon, Barrett, Palesse, and Woodyard all seem like/are certified 3 point threats, while I could see Edwards and Young becoming proficient from deep as well. We were near last place in the country shooting the three last year. It seems like we have already addressed possibly our biggest weakness in a huge way this offseason.

Last season we shot 29.7% from three. 317/340 in the country.

Let's take a look at some of next years rosters 3 point shooting percentages for their career:
Anderson: 39.2%
Taylor: 40.9%
Barrett: 39.7%
Gordon: 35.3%
Edwards: 30% , 32.6% in conference, improved a lot as the season went on and he started taking less bad shots
Woodyard: Freshman, touted for ability to shoot the three.
Palesse: Freshman, shot 54% in high school from deep
Young: Don't know for sure. He looks like he will be a better shooter than Clay, but I won't go as far as to say he's going to be a really good shooter.

With no Donovan Clay to tank our shooting, a healthy Barrett, two transfers who have proved they can shoot lights out in a college setting, two new freshmen who are known for their shooting, and an Edwards who improved so much throughout the season, could our most notable weakness become one of our biggest strengths. We saw how difficult it was to space the floor this year and it really hampered our offense. Let's see if Lottich's offense starts to look like it makes any sense this year with some shooters on the team.

Great research and analysis. BTW, don't hold me to this, but I believe Keyondre shot 41% from 3. That could have been in the state tournament, but I think it was for the season.

VUGrad1314

Just a thought I had thinking about the roster and the upcoming season: Maybe it's not so bad or as dire as I originally thought it to be. The shock of seeing Clay and Ognacevic transfer is wearing off and I feel like I can see things a bit more clearly and hopefully. Even if everyone comes back for Loyola Drake Missouri State etc. I see no reason why this team can't finish 5th in the MVC again as long as the freshmen are as good as advertised and we add some more depth especially up front. I think we can be better than Illinois State Indiana State Bradley SIU and Evansville. I think Loyola UNI Drake and Missouri State will be better assuming everyone comes back and UNI is able to fill the hole created by Noah Carter's pretty shocking (to me) transfer and Drake recovers from losing Yesufu (I think they're still better right now regardless but if they can find a suitable replacement for Yesufu that will be clear-cut). Remember they have a 4 star recruit coming in this upcoming season in Coach DeVries's son. Nevertheless, any inconsistency among these top teams (which is possible) could open the door to the top 3 for us. Maybe things aren't so bad right now. If Matt's recruiting chops are good (and they have shown to be) we can be very solid and finally show that we have our feet under us a little bit in this conference! I hope this is the case! I think seeing us be reasonably successful at this level in other sports so that we don't look like an utter abject failure as a whole department is also a key factor in helping to bring me back. Thank you to some extent to the men's basketball team which (to be fair despite the less than stellar overall records HAS improved its overall conference position each year in the MVC) but also to the Volleyball Women's Soccer and Women's Basketball teams especially for helping me to see that maybe better days and becoming consistently competitive might be coming sooner than I thought possible. I hope we see some more stability in the men's basketball program and less frequent departures of impact players but if that's really just going to be the new normal then hopefully I'll get used to it so that I don't have this freak out period where I think we're failing the conference and going to suck forever before evening out and seeing things more realistically as the offseason wears on. It's not good for me mentally to do that and feel that way and it's not good for you all to have to read it but when I have a thought I feel a need to share it even without fully considering everything prior to posting. I'm not beholden to narratives. It's not what I push. What you get from me is exactly what I'm thinking at a given moment. It's rarely ever 100% right or even 100% clearheaded but it's authentic and honest. I will try not to allow my emotions to get to me so much in the future but much like Valpo's adjustment to the MVC it will be (and has been) a process for me.

vu72

Quote from: Pgmado on April 15, 2021, 06:11:14 PM

This along with what others have hinted at tells me we are getting a big and maybe, just maybe not a skinny 6'9" kid but a muscular big like, say Joey Brunk??  (no idea just a wish)!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

RS

Theo Johns from Marquette would look pretty good too. But the big boys are recruiting him. 6`9 shot blocker that would probably give 8 to 10 points a game.

crusader05

Have we been linked to reaching out to any bigs?

VUGrad1314

For those who care about Valpo's inability or unwillingness (personally I think it has more to do with the latter than the former though I think both factors play a role) to recruit players from the region, here's another region kid who has decided to play for an MVC school other than Valpo (not sure if we even offered him). If nothing else this just means there will be better attendance when we play them which is a plus the downside is that there will also be more ISU supporters there when we play them for the duration of his stay in Terre Haute.

https://twitter.com/IndStMBB/status/1382881779250556930/photo/1

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 15, 2021, 07:47:18 PMJust a thought I had thinking about the roster and the upcoming season: Maybe it's not so bad or as dire as I originally thought it to be. The shock of seeing Clay and Ognacevic transfer is wearing off and I feel like I can see things a bit more clearly and hopefully. Even if everyone comes back for Loyola Drake Missouri State etc. I see no reason why this team can't finish 5th in the MVC again as long as the freshmen are as good as advertised and we add some more depth especially up front. I think we can be better than Illinois State Indiana State Bradley SIU and Evansville. I think Loyola UNI Drake and Missouri State will be better assuming everyone comes back and UNI is able to fill the hole created by Noah Carter's pretty shocking (to me) transfer and Drake recovers from losing Yesufu (I think they're still better right now regardless but if they can find a suitable replacement for Yesufu that will be clear-cut). Remember they have a 4 star recruit coming in this upcoming season in Coach DeVries's son. Nevertheless, any inconsistency among these top teams (which is possible) could open the door to the top 3 for us. Maybe things aren't so bad right now. If Matt's recruiting chops are good (and they have shown to be) we can be very solid and finally show that we have our feet under us a little bit in this conference! I hope this is the case! I think seeing us be reasonably successful at this level in other sports so that we don't look like an utter abject failure as a whole department is also a key factor in helping to bring me back. Thank you to some extent to the men's basketball team which (to be fair despite the less than stellar overall records HAS improved its overall conference position each year in the MVC) but also to the Volleyball Women's Soccer and Women's Basketball teams especially for helping me to see that maybe better days and becoming consistently competitive might be coming sooner than I thought possible. I hope we see some more stability in the men's basketball program and less frequent departures of impact players but if that's really just going to be the new normal then hopefully I'll get used to it so that I don't have this freak out period where I think we're failing the conference and going to suck forever before evening out and seeing things more realistically as the offseason wears on. It's not good for me mentally to do that and feel that way and it's not good for you all to have to read it but when I have a thought I feel a need to share it even without fully considering everything prior to posting. I'm not beholden to narratives. It's not what I push. What you get from me is exactly what I'm thinking at a given moment. It's rarely ever 100% right or even 100% clearheaded but it's authentic and honest. I will try not to allow my emotions to get to me so much in the future but much like Valpo's adjustment to the MVC it will be (and has been) a process for me.

I need to correct one small part of this post: It sounds Noah Carter actually returned to UNI along with everyone else.

valpotx

Quote from: Pgmado on April 15, 2021, 06:11:14 PM

Vashil is getting a 7th year??
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 16, 2021, 01:13:40 AMFor those who care about Valpo's inability or unwillingness (personally I think it has more to do with the latter than the former though I think both factors play a role) to recruit players from the region, here's another region kid who has decided to play for an MVC school other than Valpo (not sure if we even offered him). If nothing else this just means there will be better attendance when we play them which is a plus the downside is that there will also be more ISU supporters there when we play them for the duration of his stay in Terre Haute.

A couple of thoughts on this. First, these region kids may a) want to get away to college b) want a big school versus a very small one or c) can't cut it academically or don't have the grades to get into Valpo.

There are just a lot of factors that go into a college decision.

Pgmado

Two things. Might have jumped the gun on the big post as two key transfer recruits went elsewhere this morning. Hard to beat out Vegas and the Big Ten.

Secondly, Valpo recruited Peterson. Offered Peterson. Offered two other point guards as well, and from what I understand, told all three they were only taking one. This is normal practice. Peterson wanted to wait longer to see if he got high major offers. DeAveiro fell in love with the coaching staff and he committed.

I spit my drink out when I read that Peterson chose Indiana State over Valpo.

vok22

Quote from: Pgmado on April 16, 2021, 09:30:55 AM
Two things. Might have jumped the gun on the big post as two key transfer recruits went elsewhere this morning. Hard to beat out Vegas and the Big Ten.

Secondly, Valpo recruited Peterson. Offered Peterson. Offered two other point guards as well, and from what I understand, told all three they were only taking one. This is normal practice. Peterson wanted to wait longer to see if he got high major offers. DeAveiro fell in love with the coaching staff and he committed.

I spit my drink out when I read that Peterson chose Indiana State over Valpo.

Based on this quote, I have to imagine one of the possibilities was David Muoka. That wouldve been amazing. Southland DPOY, averaged 9.3 rebounds and 3.5 blocks in league play.

crusader05

VUGrad1314

Quote from: Pgmado on April 16, 2021, 09:30:55 AMTwo things. Might have jumped the gun on the big post as two key transfer recruits went elsewhere this morning. Hard to beat out Vegas and the Big Ten. Secondly, Valpo recruited Peterson. Offered Peterson. Offered two other point guards as well, and from what I understand, told all three they were only taking one. This is normal practice. Peterson wanted to wait longer to see if he got high major offers. DeAveiro fell in love with the coaching staff and he committed. I spit my drink out when I read that Peterson chose Indiana State over Valpo.

Well it makes sense in light of the information you've shared here that he would pick Indiana State over Valpo. There will probably be more playing time for him available there with the Sycamores but that's just a guess on my part. Can't fault him for making what he believes is the best decision for himself and I wish him luck. If he's waiting on high major offers then it sounds like Peterson might be something of a transfer risk in the future. It is comforting to know that we are still trying to be active in region recruiting. I hope that will pay off well for us at some point but as we've all said we want players who want to be here no matter where they're from. That sounds like DeAveiro given what you've shared. I hope he does well! It's disappointing to hear that we didn't land any of our transfer targets today but hopefully we can get back on the horse and land some solid contributors.  This is a total shot in the dark but is there any chance that Ognacevic pulls a Noah Carter and decides to return even after entering the portal?

crusader05

I read it as, He had a shot at Valpo, wanted to wait it out, another point guard committed and so Indiana State was what he had to choose and not that he chose them "over" valpo as Valpo was already out of his recruiting at that point.

NotBryceDrew

When Paul Said big, he meant Big

crusader05

So is the Big still on the table?