• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2018-19

Started by VU2014, April 08, 2018, 06:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: IrishDawg on July 31, 2018, 07:26:58 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on July 30, 2018, 08:59:29 PM
Both centers seem to have somewhat of a ceiling on each end of the court. Jay could become a very strong defensive center but the offense may be somewhat limited (although I think he'll be efficient). Smits has a chance to be the best offensive centers we've had in a while (they are different players but Raitis Grafs (admittedly I never saw him play but I heard his ceiling was sky high)), but on defense he could be maddening to watch at times. If Smits could just become a average defender he could be in for a huge year. Smits was really coming into his own on the offensive side of the court the second half of the season. I'm excited to see both guys take the next step the next 2 years. Both guys have potential and have shown glimpses. Hopefully it all comes together for both.

What I found interesting is that Sorolla (110 O Rating) was much more efficient offensively than Smits (96.2 O Rating) was (the main reasons for this is Smits turned the ball over more and Sorolla is a better offensive rebounder), both overall and during the conference schedule. 

Smits had a couple of efficient games that stand out in the 2nd half of the year (Drake at home, at Illinois State), but he only had 5 conference games in which his offensive rating was over 100 (100 is considered average), whereas Sorolla had 12 games during conference play with an offensive rating over 100.

Ratings aside, there are some interesting stats when examining their season performances.

Derrik played 1.5 more minutes per game, and shot slightly better at 56.9 versus 54.5.  Interestingly enough, Derrik shot 87 free throws to J's only 48 attempts.  They were similar in total fouls at 76 and 74 and J fouled out twice to Derrik's once.  Derrik was the better passer with 23 assists to J's 7 but had way more turnovers at 62 to 25.  Derrik had more rebounds at 114 versus 103 but J had 32 blocks versus Derrik's 21 and finally Derrik averaged 7.5 ppg versus J's 4.9.

So I guess you could say that Derrik is the better scorer and rebounder and also drew more fouls,  but J is a better defensive player and more reliable to not turn it over. 

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on July 31, 2018, 08:08:14 AM
Quote from: IrishDawg on July 31, 2018, 07:26:58 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on July 30, 2018, 08:59:29 PM
Both centers seem to have somewhat of a ceiling on each end of the court. Jay could become a very strong defensive center but the offense may be somewhat limited (although I think he'll be efficient). Smits has a chance to be the best offensive centers we've had in a while (they are different players but Raitis Grafs (admittedly I never saw him play but I heard his ceiling was sky high)), but on defense he could be maddening to watch at times. If Smits could just become a average defender he could be in for a huge year. Smits was really coming into his own on the offensive side of the court the second half of the season. I'm excited to see both guys take the next step the next 2 years. Both guys have potential and have shown glimpses. Hopefully it all comes together for both.

What I found interesting is that Sorolla (110 O Rating) was much more efficient offensively than Smits (96.2 O Rating) was (the main reasons for this is Smits turned the ball over more and Sorolla is a better offensive rebounder), both overall and during the conference schedule. 

Smits had a couple of efficient games that stand out in the 2nd half of the year (Drake at home, at Illinois State), but he only had 5 conference games in which his offensive rating was over 100 (100 is considered average), whereas Sorolla had 12 games during conference play with an offensive rating over 100.

Ratings aside, there are some interesting stats when examining their season performances.

Derrik played 1.5 more minutes per game, and shot slightly better at 56.9 versus 54.5.  Interestingly enough, Derrik shot 87 free throws to J's only 48 attempts.  They were similar in total fouls at 76 and 74 and J fouled out twice to Derrik's once.  Derrik was the better passer with 23 assists to J's 7 but had way more turnovers at 62 to 25.  Derrik had more rebounds at 114 versus 103 but J had 32 blocks versus Derrik's 21 and finally Derrik averaged 7.5 ppg versus J's 4.9.

So I guess you could say that Derrik is the better scorer and rebounder and also drew more fouls,  but J is a better defensive player and more reliable to not turn it over.

Thanks for breaking it down, numbers are telling head-to-head like that.  I suppose Smits does a better job of creating off the dribble being the main difference (offensively) between the two players.  But I can honestly say that Smits' turnovers are enough for me to yell at the TV to sit on the pine.  In my mind the only positions that should be turning the ball over are the ones that have more dribbling in their game, so why does a Center have those type of turnovers.  Oh wait, it's because Smits gets awful positioning and starts dribbling from dang near the 3-point line trying to back down OR spin (really hook) his way to the basket.

He does make some nice plays, but man alive he is frustrating to root for when he only contributes on the offensive side of the ball.  On this years team I feel the center position needs to produce (points wise) similar to last year and will have less pressure on them presumably.  We have some scoring options that will draw the attention away from the Center position with Fazekas and a few of the new comers.

Is it feasible that our Centers set less picks at the 3-point line this year?  High pick and rolls can put the pick guy out of position for rebounding . . .  But I also noticed last year that the PF position (often times Mileek) was being played exclusively around the 3-point line which also put him at a disadvantage for rebounds.  Many times last year we had our C picking and our PF waiting for the corner 3 just to have Tevonn attempt a fade away long jumper and have no size in the lane trying to get offensive rebounds.

We mainly saw Tevonn, Golder and Joseph going for O-rebounds on last years team, and the only one over 6'2" was Golder.  Can we expect a different approach this year or maybe more size?

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on July 31, 2018, 08:33:38 AMIs it feasible that our Centers set less picks at the 3-point line this year?  High pick and rolls can put the pick guy out of position for rebounding . . .  But I also noticed last year that the PF position (often times Mileek) was being played exclusively around the 3-point line which also put him at a disadvantage for rebounds.  Many times last year we had our C picking and our PF waiting for the corner 3 just to have Tevonn attempt a fade away long jumper and have no size in the lane trying to get offensive rebounds.

We mainly saw Tevonn, Golder and Joseph going for O-rebounds on last years team, and the only one over 6'2" was Golder.  Can we expect a different approach this year or maybe more size?

Now that i think back, you are spot on.  Tevonn, Golder and Max were our three leading rebounders and that has to change.  My guess is with guys like Golder and Freeman who can create off the dribble without a pick, will change our offensive approach overall.  Should be fun!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

Field Goodie nails it.   

I don't know basketball theory well so I'd like to hear from others.  But there was just seemed to be a glaring oddity when big players so often set picks way outside and missed out on rebounds. 

Does slow first step by Smits (or lack of hustle) factor in?  Some players just have "it" on the court like an outfielder who anticipates the ball already during the swing and pitch location and they have a great first step to the ball.  He doesn't.  Can that be taught?  Hard to think so.

For you hoops junkies who can draw up the blackboard------was there some additional reason we used this offensive pattern so much?.....and did our slow first step make it much worse?  Or maybe a lack of tenacity in re-establishing rebounding position? 

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on July 31, 2018, 04:10:35 AM
Yeah, let's not compare Jay or Smits to Raitis.  Not even close :)
On defense lets keep one thing in mind when comparing Raitus with Jay or Derrik. The amoeba zone was the bread and butter of the Homer and Scott Drew era. Matt relies mainly on man to man and occasionally threw in the wildcard 1-3-1 with our center assigned to run the baseline. While I will concede that Raitis was the better close in defender I question if he could defend out to the 3 point line which was an assignment with which both Jay and Derrik struggled.

vu72

So I just looked at the roster for changes to our returning players, and so some startling things!

1. Derrik shrank 1"

2. Ryan shrank 1" and lost 15#!!!!

You'd think with all we have heard about Mileek that his weight might have changed, but no!  No changes for the majority of the guys!

oklahomamick

Great stat.  I would take all 4 of those players in the picture.  Those were good times.
CRUSADERS!!!

historyman

Quote from: VU2014 on July 31, 2018, 08:42:52 PM
https://twitter.com/Tom101010/status/1024460326706839552
Amazing! The Butler Braggadocio finally recognizes Valpo for some prolonged success. How did that slip by him before?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

EddieCabot

Not sure why he only included Indiana teams he considers "mid-majors".  Valpo's total is surpassed (barely) by only Purdue with 119 and ND with 118.   :crazy:

4throwfan

He would likely reply to your query that it is not apples-to-apples.  Not sure that I agree with it, but nonetheless, it would be the explanation.

ml2

Quote from: historyman on August 01, 2018, 06:30:48 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on July 31, 2018, 08:42:52 PM
https://twitter.com/Tom101010/status/1024460326706839552
Amazing! The Butler Braggadocio finally recognizes Valpo for some prolonged success. How did that slip by him before?

Have to disagree. This Twitter thread is about promoting IPFW. Any positive mention for Valpo is just an unintended and unavoidable by product of trying to promote the Mastadons.

VU2014

Quote from: ml2 on August 01, 2018, 09:21:37 AM
Have to disagree. This Twitter thread is about promoting IPFW. Any positive mention for Valpo is just an unintended and unavoidable by product of trying to promote the Mastadons.

Yep. Davis had another post about IPFW being the only Indiana mid-major to go to 5 consecutive postseason lol. I almost responded back that VU turned down the opportunity to play in the CBI last season, which would put us on a longer postseason streak then IPFW but it really isn't worth getting in a pissing match with him over that.

EddieCabot

Agree.  If you look at the Tweet, @MastondonMBB is the only twitter handle included.  Clear bias toward that Fort Wayne school (whatever their name is now).

You'd expect better from a professional journalist ... we're just spoiled by the unbiased and professional coverage provided by Oren and Osipoff.

ml2

Quote from: EddieCabot on August 01, 2018, 09:39:40 AM

Agree.  If you look at the Tweet, @MastondonMBB is the only twitter handle included.  Clear bias toward that Fort Wayne school (whatever their name is now).

You'd expect better from a professional journalist ... we're just spoiled by the unbiased and professional coverage provided by Oren and Osipoff.

Never change Eddie!  :thumbsup:

M

I doubt our offense changes much and our guards best be ready to rebound on the offensive (and defensive) ends. Your bigs set the screen to draw their rim protector away from the basket. He will either be forced to switch off into the faster ball handler who, ideally, goes by him and scores or creates for a teammate when help comes (corner 3) or give up a jump shot to the ball handler.

Sorolla has fewer assists partly because he didn't touch the ball in situations that would lead directly to an assist very often. He was setting those screens nonstop it seemed like to me.

I suspect both our centers as well as Mileek and Fazekas will all be ready and will take VUs front court game up several notches from where it was at any point last year.

wh

There's a little more to it than 3 local writers, all with typical "homer" bias. What sets Davis apart is he has has made derogatory comments about Valpo's program in recent years. At 1 time it was clear that he followed this board and reacted publicly to the gloating going on here about Valpo winning the last 4 games played by the 2 teams and all the negativity around Butler refusing to play Valpo thereafter. Oren and Osipoff are far too professional to use their positions to make petty, poison pen comments about opposing programs.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on August 01, 2018, 04:49:21 PM

There's a little more to it than 3 local writers, all with "homer" bias. What sets Davis apart is he has has made derogatory comments about Valpo's program in recent years. At 1 time it was clear that he followed this board and reacted publicly to the gloating going on here about Valpo winning the last 4 games played by the 2 teams and all the negativity around Butler refusing to play Valpo thereafter. Oren and Osipoff are far too professional to use their positions to make petty, poison pen comments about opposing programs.

Except for Paul's repeated twitter digs at Butler such as the following  ::) :
[tweet]1022199599241605125[/tweet]

wh

Quote from: valpopal on August 01, 2018, 04:59:02 PM

There's a little more to it than 3 local writers, all with "homer" bias. What sets Davis apart is he has has made derogatory comments about Valpo's program in recent years. At 1 time it was clear that he followed this board and reacted publicly to the gloating going on here about Valpo winning the last 4 games played by the 2 teams and all the negativity around Butler refusing to play Valpo thereafter. Oren and Osipoff are far too professional to use their positions to make petty, poison pen comments about opposing programs.

Except for Paul's repeated twitter digs at Butler such as the following  ::) :
[tweet]1022199599241605125[/tweet]

Apples and oranges. Oren is Valpo's beat writer. He is merely using a creative way of repeating a frustration shared publicly many times by ml that his repeated attempts to schedule Butler have fallen on deaf ears. To make Oren's tweet analogous to Davis' derogatory Valpo comments, Paul would have to reside in Ft.Wayne, be employed by the Ft. Wayne News Sentinel as Purdue Fort Wayne's beat writer, and use his platform to promote his Alma mater 100 miles away.

EddieCabot

There's a little more to it than 3 local writers, all with typical "homer" bias. What sets Davis apart is he has has made derogatory comments about Valpo's program in recent years. At 1 time it was clear that he followed this board and reacted publicly to the gloating going on here about Valpo winning the last 4 games played by the 2 teams and all the negativity around Butler refusing to play Valpo thereafter. Oren and Osipoff are far too professional to use their positions to make petty, poison pen comments about opposing programs.

I don't read Davis, so I likely missed his derogatory comments toward Valpo.  I was merely pointing out the quality work done by NWI Times and Post Trib in covering Valpo.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on August 01, 2018, 08:43:46 AMMaturing Rosters in Carbondale and Valparaiso by Harry Schroeder August 1, 2018 http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/maturing-rosters-in-carbondale-and-valparaiso/ https://twitter.com/FatherHarry1/status/1024648912748138496

Lots of praise for Valpo in here. Says the Crusaders have "some of the most exciting players in the conference." Evelyn Golder and McMillan get most of the praise but he seems to hint (rightly) that Fazekas and Lavender will play big roles as well.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on August 02, 2018, 09:31:21 AM
https://twitter.com/MVCsports/status/1025019135883988994

Reggie Redbird is killing the Crusader right now. Our mascot could use a lot of help from the Valpo faithful.

Voting ends at 4:00 p.m. Eastern/3:00 p.m. Central