• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women’s Basketball 2019-2020

Started by IndyValpo, June 10, 2019, 10:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

In a limited sample size, she was very slow and un-athletic.  I am surprised that she is playing D-1.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Final
Valpo  77
Detroit-Mercy  58

Improving all the time. Would have been a much closer game if Detroit didn't have the large number of turnovers they had. Johanson played some minutes and scored 6 points. Valpo's high scorers were Hales-17, Fredericks-13, Stoller-13, Weinman-8, White-8. Evans certainly has the women's team turning around and making much more progress than Dorow ever did.

talksalot

Now 10-days off for finals... next home game is Sunday Dec 15 at 1pm against the Flames of UIC.   Yes, December Commencement exercises in the Chapel begin with the doors opening at 1:30pm.  (if you're interested, here's the link to that... with a Watch Live Option.   https://www.valpo.edu/commencement-dec/

Here's the UIC Flames saga for the year...good for what ails you...

at PFW - Lost by 11 (made 17 baskets, committed 20 turnovers)
at KANSAS - lost by 41 (made 20 baskets, committed 20 turnovers)
at KANSAS STATE - lost by 44 (made 15 baskets, committed 16 turnovers)
H - Eastern Illinois - lost by 35 (made 17 baskets, committed 20 turnovers)
H - Indiana State - lost by 21 (made 13 baskets, committed 23 turnovers)
H - Florida State - Lost by 44 (made 15 baskets, committed 19 turnovers)
at Miami (OH) - list by 52  (made 14 baskets, committed 23 turnovers)

uh, played at Chicago State (0-9) on Wednesday night, and won 73-61 (made 23 baskets, committed 27 turnovers!).

Their average margin of defeat is 12.5
They are being out-rebounded by 14.5 per game
They are averaging  21 turnovers per game
They are 29 of 114 from 3-point range (25.4%)
They are 105 of 348 from 2-point range (30.2%)

I suppose I should mention, they did win their exhibition game over the St Louis College of Pharmacy 78-51, where Tylah Lampley went 13 of 14 from the field finishing with 20 pts.

So... Come on out to the ARC on Sunday the 15th.   

humbleopinion

Quote from: talksalot on December 05, 2019, 02:23:29 PMI suppose I should mention, they did win their exhibition game over the St Louis College of Pharmacy 78-51, where Tylah Lampley went 13 of 14 from the field finishing with 20 pts.

I may need help with figuring out how 13 field goals can result in only 20 points.
Beamin' Beacons

valpotx

Also interesting to note that the Detroit game attracted 4,500 fans, due to a Field Trip Day for the area.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpowbb1

An interesting stat was that this is the Womens teams first 3 game winning streak over D1 opponents since 2013.  Should be favored in their next 5 games also...

IndyValpo

Very encouraging start. Getting White eligible is big plus and we have actual depth which will help.

Additionally we start with 5 conference hone games in the first 7 with road games at UE and ISU. Could start the conference season strong.

valpo64

Perhaps VU should consider playing  a few women's home games as prelim to the men's game.  I remember a number of years ago that our ladies played Indiana as a "prelim" and I think we beat them by 20 points or so.  That was when the IU program was really poor and we had a decent team.  I must say it was fun watching our ladies put it to a Big 10 team.

NativeCheesehead

All the games being on ESPN 3/+ killed off the doubleheaders. But point well taken. Could do a Saturday 2pm women's game, dinner and drinks in Hilltop, 7 pm men's game for one ticket. Might be a fun way to kill a chilly Saturday and get to know your fellow fans.

valpo64

Now that would be a novel idea that might be worth considering by the Athletic Dept.

vusupporter

Five wins in a row and a 6-3 record now for women's basketball after a 2-point win over Morehead State tonight.

vu72

What ever happened to Nicole Konieczny?  Is she still on the team?  Is she injured?  Is she red-shirting?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

The Valley is crazy good this year and ranks 7'th in RPI. At 6-3 Valpo ranks #8 with a 137 RPI. Warren Nolan ranks them Loy 56, MSU 3, Brad 52, ISUr 24, Drake 25, Northern Iowa 51, SIU 87, then VU , with the other 2 Indiana schools barely making the map!  :o

Maybe it is time for me to catch a few of their games.

valpotx

Drake is usually the team to beat, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out in conference this year.
"Don't mess with Texas"

RS

As I mentioned earlier. Doubt you will ever see Nicole play. On the team but back issue I believe

RS

How about a shout out to the women's bb team. Seven in a row with a road win at E. Illinois. Really impressed with what Grace White has brought to the team. Tonite 20 points, 10 rebounds and 7 assists and 2 steals.  She also has brought a toughness that the has lacked in recent years. Also Grace Hales had 25 points. Between the two of them 8 out of 14 3 pts shooting

valpotx

Glad that you beat me to it!  Going 8-3 or even a winning record in non-conference is a rarity for our Women's Basketball program over the last 10+ years.  I understand that the win streak comparison needs to be brought up in the game recaps, comparing this team to 2001-2002, but that team and the next 2 after it, were still quite a bit above the talent on this team, but maybe this group will surprise me in conference.  We did beat some really bad teams in non-conference, but those are games that previous teams would still lose.  Either way, I am proud to see the positive momentum in the program under Coach Evans, and hope for at least a mid-level finish in the MVC!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on December 31, 2019, 12:10:46 AM
Glad that you beat me to it!  Going 8-3 or even a winning record in non-conference is a rarity for our Women's Basketball program over the last 10+ years.  I understand that the win streak comparison needs to be brought up in the game recaps, comparing this team to 2001-2002, but that team and the next 2 after it, were still quite a bit above the talent on this team, but maybe this group will surprise me in conference.  We did beat some really bad teams in non-conference, but those are games that previous teams would still lose.  Either way, I am proud to see the positive momentum in the program under Coach Evans, and hope for at least a mid-level finish in the MVC!

Staying healthy and buying into Coach Evans program has really helped this team. Notice that many players that got lots of minutes in the past are no longer getting those kind of minutes. Probably more to do with less injuries than the quality of their play decreasing.

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on December 05, 2019, 02:23:29 PMI suppose I should mention, they did win their exhibition game over the St Louis College of Pharmacy 78-51, where Tylah Lampley went 13 of 14 from the field finishing with 20 pts.

Those STLCOP girls may not shoot at the basket well but they sure know which drugs to shoot up. I once ran into a STLCOP (part of the Washington Univ medical school, I understand) frat hazing. They had flooded a basement shoved all their pledges down there and turned the hoses on them. Those pharmacists are really brothers for life.

FWalum

Quote from: RS on December 30, 2019, 10:10:41 PMReally impressed with what Grace White has brought to the team. Tonite 20 points, 10 rebounds and 7 assists and 2 steals.  She also has brought a toughness that the has lacked in recent years.
Really enjoy watching Grace White play. She has really impressed me in all phases of the game, but her ability to make passes, that other girls either don't see or just can't make, is really something to watch. As RS said, she is really a tough player who seems to bring a lot of intangibles to this team along with stuffing the stat sheet.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

IndyValpo

A great start...8 of the 11 are the second half of home and homes. We went 2-6 last year, 7-1 this year.

Kudos to Marlee Profit who has missed 2 of her 3 seasons here. She has become instant offense off
the bench scoring 7 per game averaging 12 minutes.
She is currently at 70% from the field.

This team won 8 games last season.

vu72

Women win again this time at Evansville--by 22 shooting 48% from the 3.  Now 10-5, two more wins than all of last year!  Great job!!  :clap: :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

This is huge progress. I had a good feeling about the coach when she was hired. I felt like she was going to change the program and culture for the better and it appears that she has. I hope it continues.

vu84v2

Won 9 of their last 11, with one of the losses to Top 20 Missouri State. Great performance!

Additional kudos to Marlee Profitt, who plays D1 college basketball while studying bioengineering. That is impressive!