• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Arkansas (Simmons Bank Arena-N.Little Rock,AR) 8:00EST/7:00CST Dec.21

Started by bbtds, December 21, 2019, 02:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

The free throw disparity (31-11) was terrible, and it would have been even greater but I believe Arkansas missed a few times on the front end of one-and-ones. Also, I saw video of the flop technical called on Gordon, which seemed like a stretch by the refs. Finally, Sackey had another terrible shooting night (1-12). He needs to get that straightened out for league play. Still, although I don't believe in "moral victories," I believe Valpo earned respect of many Hogs fans tonight.

VUBBFan

Quote from: valpopal on December 21, 2019, 09:31:44 PMThe free throw disparity (31-11) was terrible, and it would have been even greater but I believe Arkansas missed a few times on the front end of one-and-ones. Also, I saw video of the flop technical called on Gordon, which seemed like a stretch by the refs. Finally, Sackey had another terrible shooting night (1-12). He needs to get that straightened out for league play. Still, although I don't believe in "moral victories," I believe Valpo earned respect of many Hogs fans tonight.

If there is video of the game, I would love to see the three point shooting foul on Sackey and the Krikke foul. According to Todd the Krikke foul was a totally blown call resulting in a 4pt swing and seemed to agree with Sackey that his foul was by the other player pushing off on him (resulting in a 3pt play). On the post game interview coach Gore kind of questioned and wondered about those last few minutes of foul calling but was a little more diplomatic saying that is what you should expect playing on an opponent's home court (yea I know technically it was a "neutral court").

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1208588751804473344

VUGrad1314

This sucks... We were so close to a very good and promising non conference resume with wins over Toledo Cincinnati and Arkansas. Oh well maybe we'll compete in the MVC but it just sucks to constantly see this team and program come up short time and time again. Hopefully our time will come some year soon.

VUBBFan

To me it looks like the Arkansas players lowered his shoulder and ran into Gordon knocking him to the floor. But what do I know?

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/1208575143422902272

valpopal

The flop rule is being judged a "flop" by some. It seems too vague and allows refs to make up a call, which seemed to be the case with Gordon.

Here is what ESPN writer Jeff Borzello wrote about the rule and its enforcement, and he seems to accurately describe the Gordon situation:

"On Friday night, Missouri State was called for flops on three separate occasions, resulting in two technical fouls and free points for Xavier. That ended up making the difference in the game, as Keandre Cook was called for a flop on a missed 3-pointer in the final minute with the contest tied. Xavier went down and hit the free throw, then scored on the ensuing possession to come out with a 59-56 win.

"Through the first two weeks of the season, the flop rule has been a flop when it comes to implementation. Officials have allowed for no middle ground between fouls and flops. There was contact on Cook's shot (while it could have been called a foul, it wasn't), but the contact was the reason Cook fell to the ground. Players hitting the floor doesn't need to be a foul or a flop. Sometimes it's neither. Contact happens in basketball and players fall down. There has to be a middle ground where it's simply a non-call and play goes on."

wh

I recall 1 flop call over the first 12 games. Suddenly we get 3 in 1 game.    Bizarre.

Just Sayin

Quote from: VUBBFan on December 21, 2019, 11:05:19 PMTo me it looks like the Arkansas players lowered his shoulder and ran into Gordon knocking him to the floor. But what do I know? https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/1208575143422902272

The ref was in the way and you can't get a clear look at what really happened in that video.

valporun

I agree, the video was hard to see anything because of the cell phone camera angle, and being behind the official. I have concern that a lot of the officials want the rule changes to just stop, as it plays too much of a factor in the consistency of game play, rather than the consistency of the work they do in calling the games each official works. I know I get tired of reading about new points of emphasis that really are nothing more than whining about rules that have worked for years needing to change to match the game played today, rather than the players working to play their game within the rules that have worked forever.

Sounds like Valpo got screwed by a lot of calls. I wonder if the NCAA would have a better case in the "paid to play" games like an Arkansas-Valpo or Cincinnati-Valpo to have the NCAA appoint officials for these games, rather than the individual schools or conferences? I mean if it was Arkansas-Mississippi Valley St. or Chicago St., then let Arkansas pick their favorite officials, but when the game could be a good indication of an NCAA tournament matchup, the NCAA should assign the officials, not Arkansas themselves.

Just Sayin

There is no such thing as a good loss and moral victories are hollow but this game came as close as one can get to a good loss given how they performed against a very good team. There are some positives about this loss and hopefully those positives will be capitalized upon by the coaching staff.

covufan

Tough loss. I like the way this team doesn't give up, and grinds to get back in the game. We need to find a way to finish these games. Playing shorthanded and defensively well against an SEC team should give us confidence going into the MVC season. Now we need to execute.

Looking forward to this team grinding their way to an above .500 record in conference play!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD24

This conversation needs to be had:

"Daniel, you can't shoot. Stop shooting."

End of conversation.

vu72

Quote from: Just Sayin on December 22, 2019, 08:18:44 AM
There is no such thing as a good loss and moral victories are hollow but this game came as close as one can get to a good loss given how they performed against a very good team. There are some positives about this loss and hopefully those positives will be capitalized upon by the coaching staff.

Agreed.  I think the OT loss to Cincy was another one.  They just beat #23 Tennessee.  We have all the parts and should be a very tough out in the Valley.  Who in the Valley is as good as Arkansas and I doubt we will be playing any games on the road in front of 16k very hostile fans.  We need to get back healthy.  Next stop--LOYOLA!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on December 22, 2019, 07:42:08 AM
I agree, the video was hard to see anything because of the cell phone camera angle, and being behind the official. I have concern that a lot of the officials want the rule changes to just stop, as it plays too much of a factor in the consistency of game play, rather than the consistency of the work they do in calling the games each official works. I know I get tired of reading about new points of emphasis that really are nothing more than whining about rules that have worked for years needing to change to match the game played today, rather than the players working to play their game within the rules that have worked forever.

Sounds like Valpo got screwed by a lot of calls. I wonder if the NCAA would have a better case in the "paid to play" games like an Arkansas-Valpo or Cincinnati-Valpo to have the NCAA appoint officials for these games, rather than the individual schools or conferences? I mean if it was Arkansas-Mississippi Valley St. or Chicago St., then let Arkansas pick their favorite officials, but when the game could be a good indication of an NCAA tournament matchup, the NCAA should assign the officials, not Arkansas themselves.

No control for the Big Six conferences? Won't happen!

bbtds

Should have won. Period. Need to overcome all the obstacles and be ahead far enough to win.

crusader05

For me the problem with the Tech call is it happens after the kid gets two shots on the basket and misses them both.  It's either a flop in the moment or it's not. You don't wait until they can't finish to call it.

wh

Quote from: crusader05 on December 22, 2019, 12:00:36 PM
For me the problem with the Tech call is it happens after the kid gets two shots on the basket and misses them both.  It's either a flop in the moment or it's not. You don't wait until they can't finish to call it.

Here's the rule:

"Should an infraction of the rules be committed by a player of a team NOT in possession and control of the puck (Valpo) the Referee shall signal a delayed penalty. Play will be stopped immediately when the offending team (Valpo) gains possession and control of the puck and the penalty(s) assessed to the offending players(s)."

USA Hockey Rule Book as applied by Valpo-Arkansas bb game officiating crew.

JD24

Quote from: crusader05 on December 22, 2019, 12:00:36 PMFor me the problem with the Tech call is it happens after the kid gets two shots on the basket and misses them both.  It's either a flop in the moment or it's not. You don't wait until they can't finish to call it.
I didn't get the delay in the call but it could have actually been both an offensive foul and a foul which is a possibility with the new rule.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on December 22, 2019, 02:24:34 PM
Quote from: crusader05 on December 22, 2019, 12:00:36 PM

Here's the rule:

"Should an infraction of the rules be committed by a player of a team NOT in possession and control of the puck (Valpo) the Referee shall signal a delayed penalty. Play will be stopped immediately when the offending team (Valpo) gains possession and control of the puck and the penalty(s) assessed to the offending players(s)."

USA Hockey Rule Book as applied by Valpo-Arkansas bb game officiating crew.

Thumbs up for straight faced mockery.

wh

Food for thought...

Name 1 team in Valpo D-1 history with their no. 2 and 3 starters MIA that could come anywhere close to beating a 9-1 P-5 Major in front of 18,000 hostile fans, especially when the opponent practiced all week on stopping our no. 1 scorer.

That tells me that this team's potential is unlimited, if we get Ryan and Nick back full strength.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: wh on December 23, 2019, 07:04:44 PMFood for thought... Name 1 team in Valpo D-1 history with their no. 2 and 3 starters MIA that could come anywhere close to beating a 9-1 P-5 Major in front of 18,000 hostile fans, especially when the opponent practiced all week on stopping our no. 1 scorer. That tells me that this team's potential is unlimited, if we get Ryan and Nick back full strength.

Potential is useless until it is tapped and the results of that potential are realized. Until then we are what our record says we are with a couple of encouraging close but no cigar games that pretty much count the same as a blowout as far as our metrics and the conference is concerned. Our record says "solid but unspectacular and does not suggest that we would win a tournament game even if we were lucky enough to go.

valpolaw

A loss is a loss. I'm truly tired of trying to find moral victories in losses.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 23, 2019, 07:42:59 PM
Quote from: wh on December 23, 2019, 07:04:44 PMFood for thought... Name 1 team in Valpo D-1 history with their no. 2 and 3 starters MIA that could come anywhere close to beating a 9-1 P-5 Major in front of 18,000 hostile fans, especially when the opponent practiced all week on stopping our no. 1 scorer. That tells me that this team's potential is unlimited, if we get Ryan and Nick back full strength.

Potential is useless until it is tapped and the results of that potential are realized. Until then we are what our record says we are with a couple of encouraging close but no cigar games that pretty much count the same as a blowout as far as our metrics and the conference is concerned. Our record says "solid but unspectacular and does not suggest that we would win a tournament game even if we were lucky enough to go.

Life is either one huge success or complete abject failure for you the last few years.  I sincerely hope that your Valpo fandom continues but it's getting difficult to read your well thought out (but emotionally over the top) posts.

I hope things are well for you.

wh

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on December 23, 2019, 10:14:41 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 23, 2019, 07:42:59 PM
Life is either one huge success or complete abject failure for you the last few years.  I sincerely hope that your Valpo fandom continues but it's getting difficult to read your well thought out (but emotionally over the top) posts. I hope things are well for you.

I'm fine. I've gone through a lot emotionally over the past year or so but it's been on the whole a positive process even though it's tough. I'm finally on a path that will lead me to a happy and fulfilled life it's just a lot to process at once. I'm also becoming a bit more realistic in my expectations for Valpo in the MVC and it's hard to handle because I'm used to seeing this team as the class of its conference. That's the main reason why I'm more pessimistic now. I expected us to struggle a bit at the outset but not to this degree and that has been very demoralizing especially since I'm not sure how we're going to get to the point where we are a consistent contender in this conference and frankly I don't see the institutional will to make that happen and that makes me sad. Thank you for your conern. I hope all is well for you and everyone on this board and that everyone is having a wonderful and joyous holiday season! 

valpotx

Arkansas just won at IU 71-64, to give IU their first home loss.  Dang, that would have been an even more quality win for us, had we held on...
"Don't mess with Texas"