• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at UNI game thread, Wed., Jan. 15, 2020, 7:00p CT

Started by wh, January 15, 2020, 06:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

AJ Green is a first rounder.  He is like Bryce Drew playing in the Mid-Con.  UNI is the best of the best this year.  experienced and well coached.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

govalpogo

Felt like every break and call went UNI's way down the stretch, they also made the shots they needed to.   Robinson fighting injury? or falling out of favor?  Whenever AJ Green wants to go pro, that's fine with me.  Not unexpected...still hate losing.   

PlumStreetBum

Brutal stretch to end the first/start the second, but otherwise a pretty good game. PG play was rough and we forgot to defend Green closely for several minutes there.

Can't be mad about losing to UNI on their floor. Tonight's effort results in a win against a lot of other teams in this conference, we just need to keep it up and not regress this weekend against Indiana State.

I will note that UNI shot 12-22 from 3... Kind of the opposite of the Drake game there. If UNI had shot 10%, we win it and it's not close. We'll see if that changes when they visit the ARC.

VUBBFan

Looks like Robinson's back is still hurting him, But I wonder if there was anything bothering Clay. He put up goose eggs, only took 3 shots and I don't think he was moving around as much as he usually does. Or maybe just an off night for him.

valpo64

A J Green...amazing shooter.   The 20 run to start the 2nd half killed us.  Once again, Sackey, as stated earlier, is a big liability...can not shoot, turnovers, defensive liability.  It's a shame that other than JFL, we have no other consistent offensive threat, especially in the front court.  Kiser is  just not the answer although he works so hard.  Both on offense and defense, he just is not the answer.  Hopefully the future is brighter with Krikke  and when and if Ryan can get back in the flow. Then maybe next year the kid from Wisconsin will help too.  Let's get the IN ST trees on Saturday.

valpopal

All too typical slow start to the game, down double digits 15-4, then they give up a 17-0 run to start the second half.  :banghead:

VUGrad1314

Quote from: govalpogo on January 15, 2020, 09:02:58 PMFelt like every break and call went UNI's way down the stretch, they also made the shots they needed to.   Robinson fighting injury? or falling out of favor?  Whenever AJ Green wants to go pro, that's fine with me.  Not unexpected...still hate losing.

I hope Green and JFL stay at their respective schools for a full four years. That matchup was fun and we need two years of it. We want to play against and beat the best so I welcome a strong UNI or any team in the Valley. It'll just mean that much more when we're finally strong enough to beat them and our conference will be strong and respected.

VUGrad1314

This team has nothing to hang its head about. Yes the slow starts are frustrating but this team tonight would have beaten any other team in the Valley. We're getting there guys. Hold on.

oklahomamick

Man, slow start to the game and slow start to the 2nd half.....

CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 15, 2020, 09:22:02 PM
This team has nothing to hang its head about. Yes the slow starts are frustrating but this team tonight would have beaten any other team in the Valley. We're getting there guys. Hold on.

Could not have said it any better. UNI is probably the best mid major in the country, playing on their home court where they're undefeated, and shot the heck out of the ball tonight, yet we were in the game right to the end. Yes, we had our usual beginning of every half scoring drought. At the same time we had huge scoring runs of our own to climb back in the game. Add a healthy Ryan, and we're as good or better than they are. That's how close we are.

wh

BTW while we're slobbering all over A.J. Green (and deservedly so), let's not forget to express our appreciation for our own sophomore star. Javon had 28 points to Green's 29, out rebounded him 8-3 and had 4 steals to Green's 1. Javon can score in a variety of ways. Green is a jump shooter. Last, but not least, Javon is a far better defensive player.

oklahomamick

UNI is the team to beat in the MVC this year.  Time to focus on Indiana St. and getting back to .500.  Indiana St. just easily beat Evansville.  Hopefully we have Ryan back for the game.
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: wh on January 15, 2020, 09:58:46 PM
BTW while we're slobbering all over A.J. Green (and deservedly so), let's not forget to express our appreciation for our own sophomore star. Javon had 28 points to Green's 29, out rebounded him 8-3 and had 4 steals to Green's 1. Javon can score in a variety of ways. Green is a jump shooter. Last, but not least, Javon is a far better defensive player.

You're right but it's hard to not give credit to the winner. That said, Javon is clearly the better all around player. He does everything. Green is an elite cold blooded scorer but that's as far as it goes. What it comes down to is this: Green has a better supporting cast especially with Fazekas out and that's the difference. Haldeman Brown and Berhow stepped up for them and hit big shots down the stretch and they made their free throws hence the W.

I don't know about you guys but I am just so glad that we have a chance to play against teams of UNI's caliber against players of Green's caliber and have players of Javon's caliber on our roster. None of these things are possible if we're not in the MVC and that makes the move worth it right there.

M

JFL is now 5 for his 26 from 3 and his season percentage is down to 30.3% (I'm assuming the season stats haven't been updated just yet). He's good, but that has to improve before he becomes next level great.

VUGrad1314

And you KNOW he's going to spend the offseason working on that. And when he does Valpo will become a REALLY dangerous team.

VUGrad1314

Great praise from Coach Jacobson. He would know a good team. He's got one and he's coached several more.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1217647822532698113

Thoughts? I'm inclined to agree with him. We're definitely better than we were two years ago. I remember that game. We were absolutely blitzed and it was over before it even started. That did prove the fight this team has under Lottich that has not wavered.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1217656952093888512

How far we've come... Did experience make the difference?

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1217657422879318016

And a great treat for fans to look forward to tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1217657769974751233

VUGrad1314

Great praise for Valpo from a UNI fan. Check it out here. MVC Fans is starting weekly discussion threads. Get on and contribute if you'd like! Would love to see more of a Valpo presence over there.

http://mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5460&p=124530#p124530

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on January 15, 2020, 09:09:51 PMOnce again, Sackey, as stated earlier, is a big liability...can not shoot, turnovers, defensive liability.  It's a shame that other than JFL, we have no other consistent offensive threat, especially in the front court.  Kiser is  just not the answer although he works so hard.  Both on offense and defense, he just is not the answer.  Hopefully the future is brighter with Krikke

Not sure I agree on a few things.  Daniel is not a defensive liability.  He was playing sick last night but still shot 40% from the 3. Kiser may not be THE answer but he is part of a group effort at the 5.  Combined, Mileek (zero Personal fouls), Ben and John went for 27 points and 6 for 11 from the 3. 9 boards and 2 fouls.  The problem was that we got zero points from two of our starters and, although Javon scored 28 points, he was only 2 of 12 from the 3 and has slid to 31% from deep for the season.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vok22

As much as I want to be really optimistic about next year, we have to remember that we already know what we are getting, cause we are watching it. Our contributing players will be exactly who they are now minus John Kiser. We won't have Fazekas next year, so all those issues we say would be solved if Fazekas was on the court, will still apply next year. We are gonna have to expect a lot of consistent production out of our sophomores to make up for that loss.

wh

Quote from: vok22 on January 16, 2020, 10:14:56 AM
As much as I want to be really optimistic about next year, we have to remember that we already know what we are getting, cause we are watching it. Our contributing players will be exactly who they are now minus John Kiser. We won't have Fazekas next year, so all those issues we say would be solved if Fazekas was on the court, will still apply next year. We are gonna have to expect a lot of consistent production out of our sophomores to make up for that loss.

On average basketball players continue to improve until they reach their peak at age 26.

vu72

Quote from: vok22 on January 16, 2020, 10:14:56 AM

That's assuming we get no contribution from our recruits or grad transfers.  As pointed out by others, there were 1000 transfers last year. There are 351 D1 teams, so on average there were almost 3 transfers per team.  We are expecting 2 or the 3 new freshman to be very good shooters and one to be an all around good player.  The growth fro year 1 to 2 often is substantial.  I expect significant growth from guys like Ben and Donovan, as examples.

justducky

Quote from: VUBBFan on January 15, 2020, 09:08:01 PMLooks like Robinson's back is still hurting him, But I wonder if there was anything bothering Clay.

I know nothing of Clay but his defense might have slowed him on the other end. Nick is obviously struggling. Very inconsistent or entirely missing since his injury at Charlotte. Hopefully he can recover but difficult to do when you are badly needed. Maybe he can sit one out when Ryan returns.

Gordon was covered tight from the 3 point line (0-1). He did successfully drive to the basket on 3 occasions  :thumbsup: and he will need to do more of that as the Valley adjusts to his game.

I'm trying to remember what Todd said. Something like Fazekas is practicing "some". I've spoken English since childhood and have absolutely no idea what that meant.  ???

vuny98

Quote from: vok22 on January 16, 2020, 10:14:56 AMAs much as I want to be really optimistic about next year, we have to remember that we already know what we are getting, cause we are watching it. Our contributing players will be exactly who they are now minus John Kiser. We won't have Fazekas next year, so all those issues we say would be solved if Fazekas was on the court, will still apply next year. We are gonna have to expect a lot of consistent production out of our sophomores to make up for that loss.

JFL - PG - Junior
Gordon - SG - 5th Year
Krikke - PF - Sophmore
Robinson - SF - 5th Year
Clay - SF - Sophmore

I'd take that starting lineup next year (should be the starting line up now too).

vok22

Quote from: vuny98 on January 16, 2020, 11:54:12 AM
Quote from: vok22 on January 16, 2020, 10:14:56 AMAs much as I want to be really optimistic about next year, we have to remember that we already know what we are getting, cause we are watching it. Our contributing players will be exactly who they are now minus John Kiser. We won't have Fazekas next year, so all those issues we say would be solved if Fazekas was on the court, will still apply next year. We are gonna have to expect a lot of consistent production out of our sophomores to make up for that loss.

JFL - PG - Junior
Gordon - SG - 5th Year
Krikke - PF - Sophmore
Robinson - SF - 5th Year
Clay - SF - Sophmore

I'd take that starting lineup next year (should be the starting line up now too).

I would like to see that starting lineup too, just have a hard time seeing Lottich sitting Mileek as a senior after starting him the past two seasons. Also don't see him taking Sackey out of there. I would LOVE to see that starting lineup tried out, though.