• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

12/3/11, 1:00pm: Butler Game Thread

Started by agibson, November 17, 2011, 12:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Anyone making the trip down from the Valpo area?

I'm tempted... I've never been to Hinkle.  I'd be more tempted if it was a week later.

The cheap seats are $20?

Pgmado

Valpo vs. Butler at 1 p.m. and then the Big Ten title game (hopefully featuring Wisconsin) that night. Sounds like a great day in Indy.

bbtds

Yes I'm in section 27 and the seats are $20. Parking can be some what of a hassle unless you get there 1 hour to 45 minutes before game time. They only allow season ticket holders with parking passes to park in the lot next to Hinkle and the lot up the hill from the Butler Bowl (football field). Eastern time the game is 2:00 pm in Indy so that is the time you will see on the tickets. When I bought the tickets at the Hinkle Fieldhouse ticket office on Monday the ticket manager said there were single and double sets left at the edge of the lower bowl and that most of the tickets remaining were in the most upper section. Most of the lower bowl is taken up by season tickets. Since the Bulldogs lost to Evansville and don't seem as talented as the last 2 years there isn't as much fever for Butler in Indy as before. 

PatVU07

I'm headed down from South Bend.  Looking forward to a good game and a great time as always in Indy.  Hopefully it includes some Valpo gear wearing in Broad Ripple after a nice lopsided Valpo victory.  I didn't realize that the Big 10 Title game was that weekend also.  Anyone know ticket costs for those?

vu72

Pardon the interuption, but, what the heck are you guys talking about?  Valpo plays Butler in Indy Dec 3.  What "Big Ten Title Game" are you talking about?  That's in the middle of the Big Ten-ACC Challlenge.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuweathernerd

Quote from: vu72 on November 17, 2011, 08:48:12 AM
Pardon the interuption, but, what the heck are you guys talking about?  Valpo plays Butler in Indy Dec 3.  What "Big Ten Title Game" are you talking about?  That's in the middle of the Big Ten-ACC Challlenge.

probably the football championship game. but i don't have a schedule in front of me.

vu72

Makes sense.  I was thrown by it being posted under Valpo Basketball!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

milanmiracle

As I live in Indy, it's a shorter drive for me. I don't know if I'll be able to attend though, might be watching it on streaming feed.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on November 17, 2011, 09:07:20 AM
Makes sense.  I was thrown by it being posted under Valpo Basketball!

Well, the location makes sense if we're mostly talking about the Valpo-Butler basketball game.  But, apparently there's a possible double feature if you're also a fan of American football.

sectionee

I'm heading down there.  There is an alumni event before the game that we are planning on attending.  Can't wait!

StlVUFan

justducky

If we can post wins against both Akron and Duquesne then it might take a disaster at Ohio State to keep me home. Not certain that we are ready for Butler, but I am also not certain that they are ready for us.

agibson

Quote from: justducky on November 17, 2011, 06:07:31 PMIf we can post wins against both Akron and Duquesne

This sounds like a tall order, to me!  I'm looking forward to good games.  If we come out with two wins, I'll be feeling pretty bullish.

And, OK, I guess I'm with you, I'd also probably get more excited about a trip down to Hinkle.

bbtds

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 17, 2011, 09:29:58 AM
As I live in Indy, it's a shorter drive for me. I don't know if I'll be able to attend though, might be watching it on streaming feed.

If you're in Indy, milan, you'll be able to watch it on WNDY.

2011-2012 BUTLER UNIVERSITY
MENS BASKETBALL SCHEDULE

DATE         DAY       OPPONENT                                   LOCAL           INDIANAPOLIS   
                                                                                 TIME                          TIME

Dec. 3        Sat.       VALPARAISO*(WNDY-TV)              2 p.m.           2 p.m.       

Feb. 24       Fri.        At Valparaiso (ESPNU)                  6 p.m.           7 p.m.

bbtds

The brand new Big Ten championship football game is being held at Lucas Oil Stadium in downtown Indy on Sat. Dec. 3 (same day as the Valpo at Butler basketball game). Game time is 8:15 p.m. Eastern time.

One of the interesting things is that up till this Monday Joe Paterno's name was on the Big Ten football championship trophy. It was going to be called the Stagg-Paterno Championship Trophy but has now been changed to the Stagg Championship Trophy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/big-ten-takes-paternos-name-off-trophy-for-football-championship-game/2011/11/14/gIQAFtmALN_story.html

Ticket prices range from $67 to $1035.

milanmiracle

Quote from: bbtds on November 17, 2011, 08:24:30 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on November 17, 2011, 09:29:58 AM

If you're in Indy, milan, you'll be able to watch it on WNDY.

2011-2012 BUTLER UNIVERSITY
MENS BASKETBALL SCHEDULE

DATE         DAY       OPPONENT                                   LOCAL           INDIANAPOLIS   
                                                                                 TIME                          TIME

Dec. 3        Sat.       VALPARAISO*(WNDY-TV)              2 p.m.           2 p.m.       

Feb. 24       Fri.        At Valparaiso (ESPNU)                  6 p.m.           7 p.m.

I guess I am getting old...I watch the Butler games all the time, I guess I could watch the Valpo vs. Butler game too...Haha
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on November 17, 2011, 06:12:23 AM
Yes I'm in section 27 and the seats are $20. Parking can be some what of a hassle unless you get there 1 hour to 45 minutes before game time. They only allow season ticket holders with parking passes to park in the lot next to Hinkle and the lot up the hill from the Butler Bowl (football field). Eastern time the game is 2:00 pm in Indy so that is the time you will see on the tickets. When I bought the tickets at the Hinkle Fieldhouse ticket office on Monday the ticket manager said there were single and double sets left at the edge of the lower bowl and that most of the tickets remaining were in the most upper section. Most of the lower bowl is taken up by season tickets. Since the Bulldogs lost to Evansville and don't seem as talented as the last 2 years there isn't as much fever for Butler in Indy as before. 
I remember going there to watch Valpo-Butler in December '94, when Bryce was just a freshman.  You could tell he was going to become a great player.  Tickets were like $6-8, and you could sit just about anywhere. 

agibson

Quote from: agibson on November 17, 2011, 06:47:12 PM
Quote from: justducky on November 17, 2011, 06:07:31 PMIf we can post wins against both Akron and Duquesne

This sounds like a tall order, to me!  I'm looking forward to good games.  If we come out with two wins, I'll be feeling pretty bullish.

And, OK, I guess I'm with you, I'd also probably get more excited about a trip down to Hinkle.

Well, OK.

Anyone want to carpool from Valpo? ;)

I'm serious, actually - I might well be up for it.  Though I wouldn't want to stay too long in Indy.

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on November 20, 2011, 07:14:10 PM
Quote from: agibson on November 17, 2011, 06:47:12 PM

Well, OK.

Anyone want to carpool from Valpo? ;)

I'm serious, actually - I might well be up for it.  Though I wouldn't want to stay too long in Indy.

Even if I could show you where John Dillinger is buried? It's just a few blocks from the Butler campus.

bbtds

Butler just started this new shuttle service this Saturday and it could be helpful to some of you going to the game on Dec. 3rd.

The nice thing about parking at Meridian Street UMC is you can be in Broad Ripple in about 5 minutes by taking Westfield Blvd which runs northeast from Meridian Street and crosses Meridian Street about 2 blocks north of the church.

Broad Ripple is where George Hill, IUPUI standout, who was traded to the Pacers this past year but due to the lockout hasn't played for the Pacers yet, went to high school. It's also where Dave Letterman lived with his famous mother when he was growing up. You can find many trendy bars and other good places along Broad Ripple Ave and other side streets in Broad Ripple Village. About a year ago Colts' punter. Pat McAfee, got drunk and jumped in the canal in Broad Ripple. http://www.wthr.com/story/13354350/colts-punter-under-arrest.
It's what I like to call an "artsy fartsy" area.

Men's Basketball Shuttle Service

Beginning on Saturday, Nov. 19, Butler basketball fans can park their vehicles at the Meridian Street United Methodist Church, located at 5500 North Meridian, and board shuttles that will depart for Hinkle Fieldhouse. 

Shuttle service will be provided at no cost and will begin 90 minutes prior to the scheduled tip-off.  The last shuttle will depart for campus at the announced game time. 

Shuttles will unload patrons on 49th Street, just outside the main entrance to the Hinkle parking lot.

Service will continue immediately following the conclusion of the game. The last shuttle will depart Hinkle 30 minutes after the final horn. 

Due to the shuttle service, parking along 49th street between Rookwood Avenue and Boulevard Place will be restricted.

http://meridianstreet.org/who-we-are/guest-information/map-directions/

agibson

Quote from: sectionee on November 17, 2011, 12:01:47 PMThere is an alumni event before the game that we are planning on attending.

Just got the advertisement.  $35 for lunch, a presentation from Homer, and a ticket - not too bad.  That might be enough to get me there a couple of hours early.  Not sure where the seats are, but I guess there's a good chance you'd at least be sitting with Valpo fans.  Vs. $20 otherwise for most of the cheap seats (or $14 for a few of the _very_ cheapest) plus a $5.25 per ticket ticketmaster charge (man, I hate those).

valpo64

We're planning on going to the Butler game..if there is an Alumni thing before the game as they have done in the past, who can we contact to get tickets, etc?  The info is appreciated

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpo64 on November 23, 2011, 08:41:26 AM
We're planning on going to the Butler game..if there is an Alumni thing before the game as they have done in the past, who can we contact to get tickets, etc?  The info is appreciated

i would try calling alumni relations. they'd be able to tell you if there's any sort of alumni event going on and how to get tickets for it.

vu72

Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 23, 2011, 10:04:28 AM

i would try calling alumni relations. they'd be able to tell you if there's any sort of alumni event going on and how to get tickets for it.

Guys, agibson, two posts above, told us there is an alumni event and that it cost $35.  I agree that contacting Alumni Relations is the fastest way to get details.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: vu72 on November 23, 2011, 10:12:51 AM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 23, 2011, 10:04:28 AM

Guys, agibson, two posts above, told us there is an alumni event and that it cost $35.  I agree that contacting Alumni Relations is the fastest way to get details.

looks like you and i both fell victim to the evils of the quick quote button...

...never mind - it's missing a bracket ending.