• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

12/3/11, 1:00pm: Butler Game Thread

Started by agibson, November 17, 2011, 12:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sectionee

An Afternoon with Homer Drew
Gather with alumni, parents and friends of Valpo before the men's basketball game versus Butler University

Saturday, Dec. 3, 2011
Butler University Indianapolis

12:30 to 2 p.m. – Buffet Lunch
West Gym, Hinkle Fieldhouse
Homer Drew to speak at 1:15 p. m.

2 p.m. Tip off
Hinkle Fieldhouse

Tickets for this event are limited. Please call the office of alumni relations at 800.833.6792, ext. 23, to register, or register online at valpo.edu/alumni/events. Tickets are $35 per person and include lunch and game admission.O T.

On May 17, Drew announced his retirement after 22 years as the Valparaiso University men's basketball coach. He led the Crusaders to nine postseaso appearances, including a memorable run to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament in 1998, and a school-record 371 victories. More than a coach, Drew was a leader, teacher and mentor, inspiring his players to lead and serve in their communities. Please join together on Dec. 3 and meet former Coach Drew, listen to him discuss highlights of his time with the men's basketball team and learn what he will be doing in his new role with Valpo athletics.

valpotx

Butler barely beat Gardner-Webb at home tonight by 2...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo04

First conference game of the year.  Butler is 3-3 with losses to Evansville (88-77(OT)), #7 Louisville (69-53) and Indiana (75-59) and wins against Chattanooga (57-46), Savannah State (57-42), and Gardner-Webb (68-66).

vuweathernerd

demoralized after the embarassing display in columbus, and to support my statement in the thread about december results, butler wins in a defensive showcase 58-57.

valpotx

Valpo 72
Butler 66

Ryan and Jay shoot well from outside, and we get key points from Kenney/Buggs on their penetration.  Kevin makes up for last game with a double-double, and Vucic contributes a respectable 7-8 minutes.
"Don't mess with Texas"

rlh

Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 28, 2011, 02:48:47 PM
demoralized after the embarassing display in columbus, and to support my statement in the thread about december results, butler wins in a defensive showcase 58-57.
I'm always amazed when one of our "fans" is embarrassed by how the team played.  Guys it's still just college basketball....I will never be embarrassed by how my teams play, whether it be the Crusaders, Boilermakers or Bears....Get some perspective.....

StlVUFan

Quote from: rlh on November 28, 2011, 05:00:12 PM
I'm always amazed when one of our "fans" is embarrassed by how the team played.  Guys it's still just college basketball....I will never be embarrassed by how my teams play, whether it be the Crusaders, Boilermakers or Bears....Get some perspective.....

Just guessing, but Nerd might have meant that he was guessing the team would be demoralized, not that he was demoralized.

I trust that will not happen, but it certainly is something that Bryce has to guard against in a 2nd half like that where everything comes undone so quickly and so completely.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: StlVUFan on November 28, 2011, 08:27:15 PM

Just guessing, but Nerd might have meant that he was guessing the team would be demoralized, not that he was demoralized.

I trust that will not happen, but it certainly is something that Bryce has to guard against in a 2nd half like that where everything comes undone so quickly and so completely.

thanks, stl. that is what i meant. let's face it - that game in columbus fell to shambles in a hurry. and yes, i did refer to it as an "embarassing display." that may have been a poor choice of words, in retrospect. but there honestly aren't many other ways to describe a 2 pt game at halftime becoming a 30 point game at the final buzzer. we were overmatched, and it really took a toll in the second half. i think this team has a ton of potential. there is no reason they can't win 12-14 games in conference play, challenge for the crown, and make a run at a good postseason appearance. but in this one game, against a top tier team, they got beat down.

and rlh, before you criticize me for being a "fan" you need to know that there are few students that made it to more basketball games between 2008 and 2010 as i did. when nobody else wanted to go, i was there. when everybody else refused to risk walking outside in the sleet, snow, and muck, i was there. when everybody else was slacking off on their homework and rushing to get it done on thursday nights for their friday classes, i was there. and i would still be there every weekend if i wasn't almost 1,000 miles away. one of the hardest things for me to deal with after graduating was the lack of valpo basketball games to attend. so think about that before you criticize me.

govalpogo

I can attest to Mr. Nerd's dedication (when the bookstore didn't keep him from his student section duties ;) )  And also concur with the difficulty of leaving live attendance of games behind.  Don't get me wrong...The "Cameron Crazies" are great and wear shirts with my first name on them...but I am a member of the "VuCr-" wait the "Drew Cr-" no, "Valparaizon-"...I'm a Valpo fan at heart and I don't think anything could ever change that. If and when Valpo and Butler meet in a conference championship game, I will be buying a ticket and hoping on a plane back to good ol' Indiana! 

FWalum

Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 28, 2011, 08:58:09 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on November 28, 2011, 08:27:15 PM

and rlh, before you criticize me for being a "fan" you need to know that there are few students that made it to more basketball games between 2008 and 2010 as i did. when nobody else wanted to go, i was there. when everybody else refused to risk walking outside in the sleet, snow, and muck, i was there. when everybody else was slacking off on their homework and rushing to get it done on thursday nights for their friday classes, i was there. and i would still be there every weekend if i wasn't almost 1,000 miles away. one of the hardest things for me to deal with after graduating was the lack of valpo basketball games to attend. so think about that before you criticize me.
This maybe the crankiest couple of days I have seen on the board in a long time.  Criticism of both posters and players blown out of proportion, people saying they are about to leave, others wishing them good riddance....  Why don't we all just take a deep breath, relax and enjoy our commonality.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

Quote from: FWalum on November 29, 2011, 12:37:31 PM
This maybe the crankiest couple of days I have seen on the board in a long time.  Criticism of both posters and players blown out of proportion, people saying they are about to leave, others wishing them good riddance....  Why don't we all just take a deep breath, relax and enjoy our commonality.

I was quite hurt when '72 said, "Just flapping your lips without knowledge of the facts in nonproductive to say the least."  Then I realized that he was referring to DM, so I was fine with it.  ;)

valpo04

Where is everyone?  Can't believe the lack of conversation this close to our first showdown with Butler!

vu72

Quote from: wh on November 29, 2011, 01:59:32 PM
Quote from: FWalum on November 29, 2011, 12:37:31 PM

I was quite hurt when '72 said, "Just flapping your lips without knowledge of the facts in nonproductive to say the least."  Then I realized that he was referring to DM, so I was fine with it.  ;)

Sorry about that.  I'm all better now and of course fear rlh coming on to tell me that we really shouldn't care if we win or lose.  Not sure what a fan board is suppose to be without caring but...

Anyway, other than being sicker than a dog with some sort of sore throat thing and feeling lousy, I'm looking forward to the game.  A great test for both teams and very important.  While I'm not caring who wins because it is just college basketball--on the outside--but on the inside, I hope we beat the crap out of 'em.   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

rlh

I don't believe I ever said I don't care who wins or loses.....I just think it should be kept in perspective.  Being embarassed by a teams play just doesn't fit with me....sorry.....I want Valpo to win as much, and probably more than most, but I try to remember it's not the be all and end all.  In my case, I'm fighting cancer right now, and it certainly puts some things in perspective as to what's really important and what's not.  Doesn't mean I don't root just as hard for the Crusaders, Boilermakers and Bears.....

vu72

Quote from: rlh on November 30, 2011, 01:34:03 PM
I don't believe I ever said I don't care who wins or loses.....I just think it should be kept in perspective.  Being embarassed by a teams play just doesn't fit with me....sorry.....I want Valpo to win as much, and probably more than most, but I try to remember it's not the be all and end all.  In my case, I'm fighting cancer right now, and it certainly puts some things in perspective as to what's really important and what's not.  Doesn't mean I don't root just as hard for the Crusaders, Boilermakers and Bears.....

That makes two of us.  I'm almost done with chemo and you can get through it too.  Was just kidding you.  Hope you are feeling OK.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

swiftmutiny

Myself and a group of students have bought tickets and will be driving down for the game. I'm excited, it'll be my first time at Hinkle. Hopefully we'll get to see a Valpo victory.  :)

vu84v2

The Butler game will be really close.  Butler has a lot of new players and they have not consistently come together, but Smith, Marshall and Hopkins have played pretty well.

You kinda want to say this will be a defensive battle, but Butler is not playing great defense - so I think it is in the 60s or low 70s.

I really want to say I think Valpo will win, but I just don't see it on Butler's floor and with Stevens really fighting to get them to play good team offense and defense.

Butler 70  Valpo 68

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on November 30, 2011, 01:59:16 PM

That makes two of us.  I'm almost done with chemo and you can get through it too.  Was just kidding you.  Hope you are feeling OK.

Very sorry to hear it.  Best wishes to both of you.

nkvu

Quote from: agibson on November 30, 2011, 08:12:39 PM

Ditto.  Hang in there guys.

historyman

Valpo  72
Butler  71

I think Valpo pulls it out on the strength of a Harris 3 pointer, Broekhoff rebound and pass to Van Wijk for a lay up in the last minute.

wh

Quote from: nkvu on November 30, 2011, 10:31:45 PM
Quote from: agibson on November 30, 2011, 08:12:39 PM

Ditto.  Hang in there guys.

rlh - I have noticed that you have not been posting much lately, and now I know why.  I wish you and '72 my very best for a speedy, full recovery!

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on November 17, 2011, 06:07:31 PM
If we can post wins against both Akron and Duquesne then it might take a disaster at Ohio State to keep me home. Not certain that we are ready for Butler, but I am also not certain that they are ready for us.

Well all three came true, both victories against Akron and Duquesne and the disaster at Ohio State. Are you staying home?

Crusader03

While it would be nice to go support the guys (and the Butler athletic program with our ticket fees, concessions, etc), has anyone considered hitting the ARC at 12:00 on Saturday to see the LS'ers take on Lehigh?  It's a home game and they need our support!  I also want to pour money into the VU athletic coffers...not the ButlerBank. 

Not to mention...the women are the hottest basketball team on campus now that they are on a winning streak!  I'll plan to be at the ARC and listen to the men on the radio or watch on HLN on my 'top at the game.

johnestuff

Maybe Richie Edwards will get a good run and show us why he is there!

StlVUFan

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 01, 2011, 10:55:25 AM
While it would be nice to go support the guys (and the Butler athletic program with our ticket fees, concessions, etc), has anyone considered hitting the ARC at 12:00 on Saturday to see the LS'ers take on Lehigh?  It's a home game and they need our support!  I also want to pour money into the VU athletic coffers...not the ButlerBank. 

Not to mention...the women are the hottest basketball team on campus now that they are on a winning streak!  I'll plan to be at the ARC and listen to the men on the radio or watch on HLN on my 'top at the game.

You're just an abbreviation machine, aren't you?  Love the shift on the previously controversial nickname choice.  Laptop as 'top???  I'm guessing it's a 'tude.  Color me unimpressed, but ... whatever... I'm used to resorting to abbreviations for long, hard to pronounce (or spell, I guess) words.  Laptop is too long or too hard to spell?

When did abbreviation become a fashion statement?

:crazy: