• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

12/3/11, 1:00pm: Butler Game Thread

Started by agibson, November 17, 2011, 12:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

I think it'll be HLN at home for me - staying in town for my son's last soccer game.  Best of luck to the women, unfortunate scheduling conflict!  On another Saturday I might be happy to come out for a matinee.

agibson

StlVUFan

valporun

I'm guessing abbreviations became a fashion statement in about the same manner as today's youth using the word "gay" as a synonym for "stupid". In which I say to them, "Gay can't be stupid because stupid isn't demanding a law allowing stupid to have equal marriage rights."

covufan

Quote from: wh on November 30, 2011, 11:42:33 PM
Quote from: nkvu on November 30, 2011, 10:31:45 PM
Quote from: agibson on November 30, 2011, 08:12:39 PM
Quote from: vu72 on November 30, 2011, 01:59:16 PM
Quote from: rlh on November 30, 2011, 01:34:03 PM
I don't believe I ever said I don't care who wins or loses.....I just think it should be kept in perspective.  Being embarassed by a teams play just doesn't fit with me....sorry.....I want Valpo to win as much, and probably more than most, but I try to remember it's not the be all and end all.  In my case, I'm fighting cancer right now, and it certainly puts some things in perspective as to what's really important and what's not.  Doesn't mean I don't root just as hard for the Crusaders, Boilermakers and Bears.....

That makes two of us.  I'm almost done with chemo and you can get through it too.  Was just kidding you.  Hope you are feeling OK.

Very sorry to hear it.  Best wishes to both of you.

Ditto.  Hang in there guys.

rlh - I have noticed that you have not been posting much lately, and now I know why.  I wish you and '72 my very best for a speedy, full recovery!
Best wishes and a full recovery to '72 and rlh!

covufan

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 01, 2011, 12:00:41 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on December 01, 2011, 10:55:25 AM
While it would be nice to go support the guys (and the Butler athletic program with our ticket fees, concessions, etc), has anyone considered hitting the ARC at 12:00 on Saturday to see the LS'ers take on Lehigh?  It's a home game and they need our support!  I also want to pour money into the VU athletic coffers...not the ButlerBank. 

Not to mention...the women are the hottest basketball team on campus now that they are on a winning streak!  I'll plan to be at the ARC and listen to the men on the radio or watch on HLN on my 'top at the game.

You're just an abbreviation machine, aren't you?  Love the shift on the previously controversial nickname choice.  Laptop as 'top???  I'm guessing it's a 'tude.  Color me unimpressed, but ... whatever... I'm used to resorting to abbreviations for long, hard to pronounce (or spell, I guess) words.  Laptop is too long or too hard to spell?

When did abbreviation become a fashion statement?

:crazy:
:thumbsup: :rotfl: :clap:

Crusader03

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 01, 2011, 12:00:41 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on December 01, 2011, 10:55:25 AM
While it would be nice to go support the guys (and the Butler athletic program with our ticket fees, concessions, etc), has anyone considered hitting the ARC at 12:00 on Saturday to see the LS'ers take on Lehigh?  It's a home game and they need our support!  I also want to pour money into the VU athletic coffers...not the ButlerBank. 

Not to mention...the women are the hottest basketball team on campus now that they are on a winning streak!  I'll plan to be at the ARC and listen to the men on the radio or watch on HLN on my 'top at the game.

You're just an abbreviation machine, aren't you?  Love the shift on the previously controversial nickname choice.  Laptop as 'top???  I'm guessing it's a 'tude.  Color me unimpressed, but ... whatever... I'm used to resorting to abbreviations for long, hard to pronounce (or spell, I guess) words.  Laptop is too long or too hard to spell?

When did abbreviation become a fashion statement?

:crazy:

Remember when you were young and elders would give you a weird look when you said "Cool shades man!" and they were thinking "Cool shades man?  Where are these cold window blinds and where is the man who sells them?"   :lol:  You know what I'm saying.  I'm sorta feeling the same way you probably did then.  Young people today often call a laptop a 'top and it's just normal slang. Didn't know it was so unheard of...but if it makes you feel better, "I will gladly bring my laptop computer to the game of roundball on Saturday to enjoy both the gentlemen and the gentlewomen as they compete for the prize!"  Touche.   

sectionee

I'm around kids all day every day.  'top is a new one to me  ???.  Enjoy the games.

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on December 01, 2011, 12:16:49 AM
Quote from: justducky on November 17, 2011, 06:07:31 PM
If we can post wins against both Akron and Duquesne then it might take a disaster at Ohio State to keep me home. Not certain that we are ready for Butler, but I am also not certain that they are ready for us.

Well all three came true, both victories against Akron and Duquesne and the disaster at Ohio State. Are you staying home?
Several things still up in the air so I would expect this to be a last minute grab a rafter seat decision. My son had told me their old ticketmaster "best available" format had been replaced so I briefly checked it out and would still grade their new Vivid Seats approach as a bucket of crap in comparison with the clarity of our E-Tix site.
As for the game it is winable and equally as important as our late season meeting when both of these teams should be vastly improved. I will not make a prediction and after Ohio State game do not even want to think about the point spread.

Hope I can make it, witnessing a win at Hinkle would be very satisfying.

agibson

Quote from: valporun on December 01, 2011, 12:09:00 PMI'm guessing abbreviations became a fashion statement in about the same manner as today's youth using the word "gay" as a synonym for "stupid".

I'd hoped that was on the way out?

valporun

Quote from: agibson on December 01, 2011, 02:28:10 PM
Quote from: valporun on December 01, 2011, 12:09:00 PMI'm guessing abbreviations became a fashion statement in about the same manner as today's youth using the word "gay" as a synonym for "stupid".

I'd hoped that was on the way out?

I wish it was on its way out, but today's teens don't know any better. They still use it regardless of what adults tell them about it.

valpo04

This thread is derailing... back to the topic please.

gmoser1210

Wasn't this two separate threads about 10 minutes ago?

valpo04

Quote from: gmoser1210 on December 01, 2011, 04:10:23 PM
Wasn't this two separate threads about 10 minutes ago?

Yes, two separate threads, both getting derailed.

valpotx

I would love to make a game at Hinkle someday, but it won't be this one unfortunately.  Hopefully we start a nice streak over Butler over the next few years, so the next game I see is a win.

In reference to the other part that should be put into another topic, words that have been assigned dual meaning have been around for a long time, and the one you are referencing in particular has been around for all of my 30 years, maybe because of where I live.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

For me a double usage is like using "gay" to mean homosexual and also to mean "happy".  Maybe that was originally derogatory too - but now seems neutral.  (I read a Disney kids book the other day with Mickey and friends celebrating a retro "Gay [18]90's" festival - hilarious!)

Gay as a term for something you don't like is about up there with "retard" or "Polock" for me. It's a slur.

My sister was threatened with a mouth-soap combination for using " :censored:" like this (neither a bassoon nor a bundle of wood) like this 25+ years ago.  And, that seems like about the right response.

And, uh, Go Valpo!  Beat Butler!

(Yeah, yeah, off topic. But, do you really want us to start a new "trendy use of abbreviations and inappropriate slurs" thread in the "General Off Topic" area?)

valpofan56

Sort of back on topic . . . I wonder when Bobby Thong over on the Butler board is going to post our Valpo look alikes?  Those always crack me up!

wh

Quote from: valpofan56 on December 01, 2011, 10:41:39 PM
Sort of back on topic . . . I wonder when Bobby Thong over on the Butler board is going to post our Valpo look alikes?  Those always crack me up!

Ditto. Some of his comparables are really funny.   

valpopal

Quote from: wh on December 02, 2011, 12:02:28 AM
Quote from: valpofan56 on December 01, 2011, 10:41:39 PM

Ditto. Some of his comparables are really funny.   

He's got some up already, and there are a few winners.

agibson

Odd!

Some of these are pretty dubious.  But... Vucic as Erica Bana (of Troy, etc.)?  Might be a little something.

Bryce as Barry Williams?  Maybe something there too.  And, the notion of Homer's son as Greg Brady is pretty hilarious!

IrishDawg

I'm hoping to have my preview of the game up tonight over there (mostly just looking at the Valpo team and what Butler has to do to win) on buhoops.

I really hate saying this, but I honestly think Valpo might win, though I think the game should be pretty close throughout.  Next season I don't think I will make the same statement once Rotnei Clarke and Kellen Dunham are there and even less likely in 13-14 when Valpo loses about half its squad (have you guys noticed how many Juniors are significant contributors to this team?) will I predict a Valpo win at Hinkle, but this weekend is certainly a possibility with all the difficulty they can have scoring.  I sure do love run-on sentences.

vu72

Looks like all of us are going to see Boggs play this season (second half).  Lazerus article in today's Post says Bryce thinks we may not see Fernandez or Jakolis all yer so he needs to bring Ben Boggs in even though he would prefer to red shirt him.  One of the obvious reason is what IrishDawg said.  It will make for yet another guy graduating next year.  However, Boggs could be the guy who can put us over the top THIS year.

What ever Butler is adding next year we will match. We could have a two year run to the NCAAs.  Tomorrow's game will tell us if we are in that category.  We need to show our stuff in a hostile environment and at a big rival.

Here's the link to the Lazerus article:  http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/9186965-556/drew-awaiting-word-from-ncaa-clearinghouse.html
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

Meaningless, certainly not statistically significant... but interesting

Butler RPI  193
Valpo RPI  57