• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

11/20/11: Duquesne Game Thread

Started by sectionee, November 20, 2011, 07:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

one thing that i didn't think about until last night was how solid we played for our third game in three days. sure, it was buoyed by the iu-kokomo game on saturday, but still. the guys gave the appearance that playing so many games like that really wasn't a problem. that would be a huge lift come conference tourney time where every time we seem to get hot, we crash in the semis because it looks like we've just wiped ourselves out, there's nothing left in the tank. and a lot of those guys played minutes in all three games.

vu84v2

I agree with the comment on how solid Valpo played considering it was the third game in three days, but that thought needs to be tempered a little by recognizing that Duquesne played its third game in three days with a better opponent than IU-Kokomo (they had to play their regulars most of the game against UDC). 

FWalum

Quote from: historyman on November 22, 2011, 06:30:53 AMIt does seem kind of simple though. If one team loses to another team unless it's considered a real fluke and the team that won played way above their normal level or the losing team played well below their normal level that the team that won should be ranked higher than the team that lost. What does that say about the coaches and how they view Valpo?
Polls schmolls, IMO polls are rarely very accurate so the Mid Majority Poll surprises me only in the fact that Akron was still #18.  I decided to look at a more scientific evaluation and checked the Sagarin ratings only to see that Duquesne is #60, Akron #66 and Valpo #73.  This was not quite what I had expected.  It appears that Georgia Southern sitting at #296 is what drags down our SOS despite beating both Akron and Duquesne.  Surprised??? I was, especially since our schedules appear to be very similar.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

StlVUFan

Folks.

There is no mid-majority poll.  We in mid-majority nation do not traffic in polls, but rather in human drama played out on the basketball court.

;D