• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs SDSU @ Hostillo Hoops Classic 12:30pm CST

Started by VUSWIM08-12, November 25, 2022, 10:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSWIM08-12

Another blow out loss or can we be competitive ? I took the jackrabbits at 21 or more for +475.

vu72

Heading over shortly to watch the game.  Hopefully it will be worth the money.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

Where is it?  Savannah?   Beautiful town.  All the "squares" and architecture gems.  City is worth the trip even if the games suck.

VUSWIM08-12

VUSWIM08-12

Well I guess I'm just waiting for it to get bad. We've had a few steals, and look like a D1 team . Up 16-11 at the under 8 Timeout.

VUSWIM08-12

Best half of basketball all season , holding a high scoring offense to 23.  They missed soooo many bunnies. They'll score much more 2nd half , can we withstand it ??

talksalot

No Jerome Palm.  Any idea why?  did not play at Samford?

Just curious

valpopal

After an uncharacteristically good start, Valpo led 7-0 after 2:20; however, this proved to be fool's gold. The rest of the game was back to what we've seen too often thus far this season as South Dakota St. won the final 37:40 by 18 points.

vu72

Was at the game.  Give it to Matt, he tried something completely different, starting Max and playing small ball.  Tied at half and then out coached for the second half.  We didn't make a single free throw for the game and worse yet didn't even try a free throw.  They, on the other hand were something like 16 of 18 from the stripe. Better effort but still won't win many games with that effort.  Ben was shut down again in the second half.  Troubling to be sure....
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

craftyrighthander

I haven't been able to watch a game yet this season.  Does VU really have talent to win some of these games?  How much is talent and how much is coaching?  Asking for a friend.

oklahomamick

Which is worst?  We lost yet again, or nobody watched it?
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

I didn't watch.  How do we end up with 0 FT attempts?  Was it a lot of jump shots?
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Our three headed monster PG platoon just played 40 mins and didn't score a point. It's definitely a monster.

Did Lottich tell them to stop going 1 on 3 to the point where there was no attempt to draw a foul. No free throws?

Dudes please.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: craftyrighthander on November 25, 2022, 03:40:08 PM
I haven't been able to watch a game yet this season.  Does VU really have talent to win some of these games?  How much is talent and how much is coaching?  Asking for a friend.
The team definitely lacks talent, but someone is responsible for the talent (or lack of it) on the roster.

truth219

VUSWIM08-12

I disagree, I think we do have talent , but ML and staff don't know how to put it together. I'd be happier if Tevonn Walker got the HC job, Lottich is brain dead and shows no spunk, he's too calm IMO, and this is coming from a guy who coaches college swimming 🙃🤣🤣

JD24

Lottich needs to be moved on from but the talent level on the team is not anywhere near where it was in Lottich's first season and the B. Drew years.....certainly not at the high end.

I don't see any potential NBA players or near NBA players on this roster and the last of which was JFL and Valpo had him prior to him maturing as a player.

valpofb16

247 and Rivals talent is actually higher with the transfers in.

Problem is the program is getting damaged goods and having a hard time getting anyone to stay four years.

University as a whole having a hard time getting kids to stay. The vast majority do not want to be held in dorms until their fourth year.

Kinda amazing how Valpo is just actively tanking in front of our eyes

Tuition is 44k and average annual salary is 55k for grads. I went to Valpo this decade. Those aren't 200k tuition facilities (housing and meal plan included)

Someone up top is cutting themselves some CHECKS. Meanwhile attendance, sports , majors , grad programs. Etc all dying off.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on November 26, 2022, 09:22:15 PM247 and Rivals talent is actually higher with the transfers in. Problem is the program is getting damaged goods and having a hard time getting anyone to stay four years. University as a whole having a hard time getting kids to stay. The vast majority do not want to be held in dorms until their fourth year. Kinda amazing how Valpo is just actively tanking in front of our eyes Tuition is 44k and average annual salary is 55k for grads. I went to Valpo this decade. Those aren't 200k tuition facilities (housing and meal plan included) Someone up top is cutting themselves some CHECKS. Meanwhile attendance, sports , majors , grad programs. Etc all dying off.
As a non-alumni, my reaction to the campus was less than impressed but it was an opportunity for some. So I've hung around.

vu84v2

Not fully sure what is meant by this comment, "Someone up top is cutting themselves some CHECKS." ...but the comment suggests that there is unethical and corrupt behavior in Valpo's administration. If that is what you are suggesting valpofb16, then you are way out of line. Disagreeing is certainly fine and perhaps justified..personal attacks are not.

valpofb16

Corrupt no.

Taking rather high profit margins and taking big pay days. Most likely.

Have you been to some of the facilities?

mj

Quote from: valpofb16 on November 27, 2022, 11:48:25 AM
Corrupt no.

Taking rather high profit margins and taking big pay days. Most likely.

Have you been to some of the facilities?

Valpo is facing many challenges as a university. This ain't one of them.
I believe that we will win.

valporun

We definitely lost some players that should be here, but either found they weren't going to be the "go to" star they were in high school, or something about who they talk with away from the program got in their heads. The number of players we lost to transfer, and then the current transfers getting their feet into the rotations here are NOT playing to our favor of getting wins. Is it all about the coaching staff, and what they are recruiting, or is it player egos coming out of the AAU programs that tout these guys as the next big thing, but don't teach them how to mature off the court, so they can be more when the game isn't the only thing they have in life?

vu84v2

Taking high profit margins? Do you think that the administration is getting bonuses or a piece of operating margins? These people are salaried and, whether you like it or not, there is a market rate for University Presidents, Deans, VP of University Advancement, etc. I also think you'll find that many of Valpo's administrators take salaries a little less than the market rate because they identify with Valpo's mission.

I would suggest that:
-Like many universities, Valpo may have too many administrators - albeit most of whom are underpaid versus their counterparts at other universities.
-The state of Valpo's facilities is very mixed. Some facilities are excellent for a university of Valpo's size - e.g., engineering building, library, union, some dorms. Other facilities are definitely below the standard from peer universiites - e.g., business building, some dorms, basketball stadium. On this point, the university needs to prioritize - and that was the root of my criticism regarding too many strategic priorities.  When you have limited resources, you need to work to gain additional resources (student recruitment/retention, raising funds from donors, etc.) AND you need to make hard decisions on which issues get addressed first.

valpo95

The biggest checks that are being cut are to students, in the form of discounts (grants and scholarships) to entice students to come to VU. Requiring students to stay in the dorms is one way to gain additional  room and board revenue.

The list price for on campus is $58,726. The average annual award is $30,668, resulting in an annual net price is $28,058. This is still expensive to be sure and does vary by student.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/valparaiso-university/paying-for-college/net-price/