• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

11/25/11: Valpo at #3 Ohio State Game Thread

Started by vu84v2, November 22, 2011, 09:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 27, 2011, 12:03:20 PM
Quote from: bbtds on November 26, 2011, 05:20:30 AM
Quote from: wh on November 26, 2011, 02:55:54 AM
OSU starters Sullinger, Craft and Buford all play 37 minutes in a 30+ point blowout.   How would you like to be a sub on that team?

And that's the reason a player who is not a starter for a Big Six school should go to a mid-major school and start and not sit on the bench at the Big Six school. I'm sure Will Bogan came to that realization and transferred.

I don't know there's two sides to this coin. It's nice to be a part of a winner on a high level even if you don't see the floor much. Going to the Final 4 and competing for a national title can be just as rewarding as playing for a mid major and sitting home during the NCAA's every year.

Really? I'm sure if we had a vote of talented high school athletes their number one goal would be to sit on the bench most of the season while the starters and rotation players competed for a national title. I just don't see that as a high priority on an athlete's agenda. What I see as a goal is playing the game they love. Sometimes they just have to come to the realization that they will not be a starter or rotation player on a Big Six or Final Four team. There sure are a lot who transfer down from the Big Six schools once they come to that realization. 

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on November 27, 2011, 10:35:22 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on November 27, 2011, 12:03:20 PM
Quote from: bbtds on November 26, 2011, 05:20:30 AM
Quote from: wh on November 26, 2011, 02:55:54 AM
OSU starters Sullinger, Craft and Buford all play 37 minutes in a 30+ point blowout.   How would you like to be a sub on that team?

And that's the reason a player who is not a starter for a Big Six school should go to a mid-major school and start and not sit on the bench at the Big Six school. I'm sure Will Bogan came to that realization and transferred.

I don't know there's two sides to this coin. It's nice to be a part of a winner on a high level even if you don't see the floor much. Going to the Final 4 and competing for a national title can be just as rewarding as playing for a mid major and sitting home during the NCAA's every year.

Really? I'm sure if we had a vote of talented high school athletes their number one goal would be to sit on the bench most of the season while the starters and rotation players competed for a national title. I just don't see that as a high priority on an athlete's agenda. What I see as a goal is playing the game they love. Sometimes they just have to come to the realization that they will not be a starter or rotation player on a Big Six or Final Four team. There sure are a lot who transfer down from the Big Six schools once they come to that realization. 

Ask Cassie Kerns.

I wouldn't think so either, but apparently it happens sometimes.

sectionee

Don't feel bad about this game...OSU leads Duke by 19 at the half!

agibson

If you take out the Florida game (#8 Florida played them to within 7), we were just about at their average margin of victory. 

Maybe #4 Duke will due better.  The Ohio State lead is back down to 19, with four minutes to play.

Maybe OSU will find playing at Kansas a bit tougher.

valpo95

Ohio State beats Duke 85-63.

Two quick thoughts:  First, Ohio State is really good, so perhaps we shouldn't be surprised with the outcome.  Valpo kept it close through one half, then in the second half VU couldn't make a shot and OSU seemingly couldn't miss -- with the superior talent of OSU that is insurmountable.

Second, while I have wondered about the wisdom of scheduling one of these elite teams, it can have the effect of pointing out the weaknesses on the team, some of which can be fixed through coaching.  This group of players is still learning how to gell under their new head coach.  Of course, hitting a few more shots would have helped as well, but we'll know more about this team after Butler.