• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo MBB at UIC Credit Union One Arena 2/19/23 Sunday 2:00 pm

Started by historyman, February 18, 2023, 03:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: AB on February 19, 2023, 03:54:45 PM
That pretty much sums up the season for the Brown and Gold. No stops, can't execute in the crunch time. Wasted performance from Krikke. They will loose the next three games. Who's our first preseason opponent in October?

Which team is joining Div I next season? They will feel pretty good about scheduling Valpo.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

FWalum

The game was lost on those two late trips down the floor with the lead that each resulted in a turnover. Trevor Anderson said it on the Victory Bell, he prefers not holding the ball in those late possessions especially, when you are up only one or two possessions, just run your regular offense. I might change my mind on that if I had a point guard that was a scoring/shooting and driving threat. Valpo doesn't have that. I know many coaches think the other team can't score if they don't have the ball, but you are really putting a ton of pressure on your team to score with a time running down scenario.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

justducky

Quote from: historyman on February 19, 2023, 04:27:28 PM
I'd start the next game thread now but it wouldn't help and someone might tune in to ESPN+ a little too early. :-)

I'll take this as an apology and I think that you should open the Bradley game thread early because at least we came close to winning. I have a ticket so I might even attend.

David81

Quote from: mj on February 19, 2023, 03:57:27 PM
I wish I could say that I'm angry at this loss. Instead, I just shake my head.

From a talent perspective, this team should be better than 5-13.

But here we are.

Indeed, how can a team with the MVC's #1 (Krikke) and #7 (King) PPG scorers and the MVC's #2 APG & #5 SPG (Edwards) be one of the conference's worst? 

VULB#62

David, that kinda puts things in perspective, huh?

Personally, I'd rather live or die with Ben in the last few seconds than any of our other players - Including King. Can't we set 47 screens for him to get a free shot?  Excuse me, but we did that for AP and Rowdy; and Ben, while maybe not yet as accomplished, is the very best we have.

And......... here's my real tactical (coaching!) concern. We are among the worst MVC tre shooting teams. We're one down with am0le time, so we shoot a freakin three?  Go to the damn basket and score or draw a foul. OR Shoot an easy jumper and crash the damn boards for a OR.  Jeez!

valpofb16

Serious Q, will losses against UIC and Chicago State hurt Chicagoland recruiting?

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 19, 2023, 07:26:31 PM
Serious Q, will losses against UIC and Chicago State hurt Chicagoland recruiting?

Whoa, never thought of that ramification. Especially with Northwestern doing so well.

tiny707

We really don't recruit Chicago anymore. More WI, IN, and Canada. I think Conner and Luke are the only ones on the team.

usc4valpo

Cripe, Drake outrecruits Valpo in South Chitown and NW Indiana.

JD24

Quote from: David81 on February 19, 2023, 06:47:40 PM
Quote from: mj on February 19, 2023, 03:57:27 PMI wish I could say that I'm angry at this loss. Instead, I just shake my head. From a talent perspective, this team should be better than 5-13. But here we are.
Indeed, how can a team with the MVC's #1 (Krikke) and #7 (King) PPG scorers and the MVC's #2 APG & #5 SPG (Edwards) be one of the conference's worst?
The team is not talented. It has some talent on the roster. Two different things. One guy is really good for his level. Another guy is pretty good. The PG is no threat offensively which hurts the rest of the offense. One guy shows up once ever 3 or 4 games.  Everyone else is a bunch of everyone else's.

A different coach might win a few more games with the roster. The biggest thing another coach will need to bring is a better roster. Too much emptiness with this roster.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 19, 2023, 09:24:59 PM
Cripe, Drake outrecruits Valpo in South Chitown and NW Indiana.

USC, you're in Des Moines. How do you account for this anomaly. Why would players from VU turf and the attractiveness of Chicagoland go to....... Iowa?

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 19, 2023, 07:29:28 PM

Whoa, never thought of that ramification. Especially with Northwestern doing so well.

I'm pretty sure Lottich's overall tenure as HC has done more harm than these 2 losses this season.

The Chicago State loss makes me sick to my stomach thinking about. It's just such a bad loss.

chef

They brought in a new coach who had to revamp the roster, they had a ton of spots to fill. He got a bunch of friends/AAU teammates, most who came from the same JUCO, who wanted to stick together. Here we are 5 years later, 2 kids who are 7 years removed from high school in the region are still playing college basketball there. By next year, no one will be talking about Drake's region recruiting dominance.

VU2014

Quote from: chef on February 19, 2023, 10:42:29 PM
They brought in a new coach who had to revamp the roster, they had a ton of spots to fill. He got a bunch of friends/AAU teammates, most who came from the same JUCO, who wanted to stick together. Here we are 5 years later, 2 kids who are 7 years removed from high school in the region are still playing college basketball there. By next year, no one will be talking about Drake's region recruiting dominance.

Agreed. Drake is one of the oldest Teams in the nation and their Team has played together for years. Not sure DeVries will recruit the Region the same way in the future & like you mentioned it wasn't like he recruited most kids straight out of high school .

chef

They have never had a single kid recruited straight out of a region HS.

usc4valpo

Regarding region HS, are you referring the NW Indiana, South Chicagoland region, or The Des Moines area? I think you need to give DeVries and Drake credit for their recent success - they are getting more interest in the Des Moines area.

Regarding a recruiting war with UIC and Chicago State - wow.

oklahomamick

Give it some time.  Not ready to pull the plug on ML yet.

Once he gets some of his players in it will be fine.  He's a good recruiter.

He has also had a lot of bad luck.
CRUSADERS!!!

AlaskaCrusader19

Having a coach on the hot seat probably hurts more than those losses do. Honestly, I would doubt that most high school players in Chicagoland have any idea what Chicago State and UIC are doing on a game-to-game basis.

David81

Quote from: JD24 on February 19, 2023, 09:36:01 PM
Quote from: David81 on February 19, 2023, 06:47:40 PM
Quote from: mj on February 19, 2023, 03:57:27 PMI wish I could say that I'm angry at this loss. Instead, I just shake my head. From a talent perspective, this team should be better than 5-13. But here we are.
The team is not talented. It has some talent on the roster. Two different things. One guy is really good for his level. Another guy is pretty good. The PG is no threat offensively which hurts the rest of the offense. One guy shows up once ever 3 or 4 games.  Everyone else is a bunch of everyone else's.

A different coach might win a few more games with the roster. The biggest thing another coach will need to bring is a better roster. Too much emptiness with this roster.

I think there's enough talent here, all else being equal, for this to be a .500 squad.

And the toll of transfers and injuries adds up: Add Ognacevic and Clay and a healthy Kithier to this team, for example, and maybe there's sufficient talent to contend for a CBI tourney spot. It's a woulda, coulda, shoulda thing, but a reminder of how close VU is to regaining some respectability.

usc4valpo

vu72

So we are now 1-5 in one basket/OT games this season.  We just lost to a team down 4 players. Only one way to describe our situation: Coachless.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 20, 2023, 07:25:04 AM

Are you keeping a tally sheet or sheets on the number of times you have repeated this post? Its always good for a chuckle.  :)  Why don't you send this every day to Dr Small? Better attach a smiley to his at least until he understands the the point that you are driving home. Maybe you could send one daily to Matt as well?

historyman

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 20, 2023, 07:25:04 AM

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

AlaskaCrusader19

One thing I just noticed: Valpo is now shooting below 30% from three on the season (29.7%). That is beyond terrible.

David81

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 20, 2023, 09:02:48 AM
CBI? Pay to play? We should strive for that? Seriously?

As a stepping stone back to relevance, yes. In terms of gaining experience in post-season tournament play, possibly against teams you could never schedule for a non-conference game, yes. As a final destination, of course not.