• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Here’s to Ben 🍺🍷🥃

Started by VULB#62, February 20, 2023, 05:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU75

It's a safe bet he'll do well at Iowa.

Just Sayin

QuoteKrikke shared his thoughts on joining the Hawkeyes, too.

"I'm grateful for the opportunity to become a Hawkeye. I am excited to get to campus. I can tell the school is rich in tradition and history and is serious about success both academically and athletically. I'm excited to be supported by such a vibrant fan base and get to be a part of such a great community. I want to do everything I can to help the team win games and contribute to the school's legacy.

"I enjoyed getting to know the coaching staff over my recruitment process and respect them both on and off the court. They want to win and so do I. They are genuine people that are dedicated to seeing their players succeed. I also enjoyed getting to meet the players when I visited. I can tell they are serious about success both on and off the court and many of us approach the game with a similar mindset. We all want to work and push each other to get better," Krikke said.

AB

His answering of the questions are similar to his game on the court, deliberate, plotting, methodical. He had a very good detailed story of how things played out when hearing about the coaching change. Good questioning and enjoyable answers on several topics. Wish him well. Very deserving guy to explore his options. Offensively he's going to have some good nights in that Iowa system. Got work to do on D. This guy did everything the right way on and off the court, as he represented the University in fine fashion.

vu72

Even Brauns from Belmont is joining him at Iowa.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

mj

I got the sense, just from Ben's measured answers, how much Lottich was in over his head. No consistency. Always changing. Just a complete mess.

Here's a though exercise. What type of player would have Ben become with Homer or Bryce as coach? Would he have reached an Alec Peters level? Or is he the product of being a very good player on very bad teams?

It will be exciting to watch him at Iowa. I'm glad Valpo can count him as an alumni.
I believe that we will win.

valpopal

I watched the Iowa exhibition game against Quincy, and Krikke seems to fit well as a Hawkeye on a team that is restocking a bit after losing a first-round NBA draft pick. Ben had 14 pts. and 7 rebs. in just 24 minutes of play. He also was excellent in the postgame press conference, exhibiting maturity, poise, and leadership. It will be fun to follow him throughout the season.

AB

Krikke looked unstoppable at times at Creighton tonight. 24 points 11-18 shooting. Lead team in scoring. Announcers were raving about his mid range. Krikke likely will not get drafted, but he has in my opinion a legitimate shot at a 2 way contract next year. He seems perfect for that two man pick and pop game in the NBA.

David81

Quote from: AB on November 14, 2023, 11:30:39 PM
Krikke looked unstoppable at times at Creighton tonight. 24 points 11-18 shooting. Lead team in scoring. Announcers were raving about his mid range. Krikke likely will not get drafted, but he has in my opinion a legitimate shot at a 2 way contract next year. He seems perfect for that two man pick and pop game in the NBA.

And that's against a ranked team! I checked the boxscore, he took all 2-point shots. If he could somehow develop some 3-point range -- something he tried to do at VU but didn't quite get there -- then suddenly his potential NBA value soars.

VULB#62

Seems like a lock for a lucrative European contract. What's the chances of a Team Canada shot?

VUSWIM08-12

Krikke doing very well at Iowa , team leader in pts/gm at 18.3 along with 5 boards and 50% from 3!

VULB#62

Quote from: VUSWIM08-12 on November 28, 2023, 03:13:02 PM
Krikke doing very well at Iowa , team leader in pts/gm at 18.3 along with 5 boards and 50% from 3!

Wow.  Every good thing for that kid  :thumbsup:

justducky

VUSWIM08-12

Hahaha , I just found the rest of the stats , had to dig a little ! He's 1 of 2 🤣. Still playing very well!!

AB

He's off to a great start and seems to be a perfect fit for Coach Fran McCaffery's offensive system. I really think a two way contract is not out of the question, but yes could definitely have a nice European career. It's too bad VU folded down the stretch last year, because for my money he was the best or second best offensive player the last 10-12 games of the conference season. 18 and 7, book it. Doing the same thing this year @ Iowa. Is he worthy of a discussion for top 8 all time player at VU? If nothing else....He improved every single season.

valpotx

Top 8 is a tall ask for Krikke, but I would say top 12-15.
"Don't mess with Texas"

David81

Wow, he's playing consistently very well! Take a look at his game-by-game stats so far:
https://hawkeyesports.com/roster/ben-krikke/

Honestly, I thought he might be a very solid 12 ppg scorer at that level. But it appears that Iowa is relying on him to score, and so far he's justifying that reliance. Just awesome.

And in a roundabout way, this is positive for Valpo. Every game, some P6 radio or TV color commentator is talking about the superb career that Ben Krikke put together at VU. Also, while it would've been great to see him back at VU for a final season, his departure essentially opened the door for Cooper Schwieger to step in and grow into a quality player as a freshman, thus jonesing our optimism about this program's future.

tiny707

Wonder how much NIL money he is getting? Good for him.

vu72

Quote from: tiny707 on November 29, 2023, 11:33:18 AM
Wonder how much NIL money he is getting? Good for him.

A business prof at Valpo told me $140,000.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

tiny707

Yeah, sounded like a decent chunk of money on his interview with PO. Said it would be nice to put some money away. He got into investments during Covid when he had alot of time with all his isolation.