• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers 2022/2023

Started by tiny707, March 06, 2023, 07:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

I see none. No one wants them.

justducky

Quote from: tiny707 on March 06, 2023, 07:06:36 AMI see none. No one wants them

Good point, but nobody likes clinging to a sinking ship so several may search elsewhere. Matt isn't the only desperate coach so inquiries and offers will likely snare a few. So the revolving door of players hitting town for a cup of coffee is likely to continue. Meanwhile this isn't what the fans want so the stands will continue to empty.

This isn't a pretty picture for either an incoming or outgoing coach.

wh

Other than Krikke, there isn't a returning player from this year's roster that looks like they belong in the MVC. To PO's point, I suppose there could be a player or two ready to take a quantum leap, but, let's face it. Quantum leaps don't materialize at Valpo anymore. Now, if he were to project a strong likelihood of 1 or 2 players suffering dibilitating, season ending injuries next year, I'd be the first person to applaud his artidcle. Here's the harsh reality, in my honest opinion. Anything and everything good about Valpo men's basketball, everything we were proud of, has completely disappeared, almost as if it never existed. With that load of negativity, let me add this. My prediction for next year: with Krikke 8-22; without Krikke 4-26 (2 wins in conference).

VU2014

Quote from: wh on March 06, 2023, 06:59:09 PM
Other than Krikke, there isn't a returning player from this year's roster that looks like they belong in the MVC. To PO's point, I suppose there could be a player or two ready to take a quantum leap, but, let's face it. Quantum leaps don't materialize at Valpo anymore. Now, if he were to project a strong likelihood of 1 or 2 players suffering dibilitating, season ending injuries next year, I'd be the first person to applaud his artidcle. Here's the harsh reality, in my honest opinion. Anything and everything good about Valpo men's basketball, everything we were proud of, has completely disappeared, almost as if it never existed. With that load of negativity, let me add this. My prediction for next year: with Krikke 8-22; without Krikke 4-26 (2 wins in conference).

Yikes that is bleak.

My opinion is if the Athletics Department can fairly cheaply get out Lottich's contract without a buyout, let's just rip the band aid and start the healing process. If Dr. Small identified his guy to lead the program and can land him this offseason, pull the trigger. Everyone is under the assumption there are no opt outs in the contracts. I have no clue, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Dr. Small & Pres Padilla have to know they need to make a change by now.

historyman

Quote from: wh on March 06, 2023, 06:59:09 PM

The real question is "when will Ragland and Evansville pass Valpo in the MVC standings."
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

You would have to think Small wants to pull the trigger and fix this but may not be allowed to.  Who knows what is going to happen this week, but if all stays the same the apathy toward basketball and athletics escalates.

vok22

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 07, 2023, 02:38:20 PMLet the recruiting dogs out. https://twitter.com/TP4PT/status/1633200932313001986

[/size][size=78%]I truly believe two Duke starters could transfer to Valpo and we wouldn't avoid Thursday night. The coaching on this team SUCKS. No offensive strategy, no adjustments, no plays. [/size]

Bumbo

historyman

Quote from: Bumbo on March 09, 2023, 05:33:19 PM
Really hard to argue this

Ok, I'll bite. Really hard to argue what exactly?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

'21-22 portal losses that weren't:
• Edwards to Loyola. End of the bench on a team that finished 15th (dead last) in the A-10.
• Trey Woodyard. 2 PPG at New Hampshire
• Keyondre Young. Junior College.

'22-23 portal additions that weren't:
• Nick Edwards - Best PG on the team. Terrible perimeter shooter. D-1 quality? Yes. MVC quality? No.
• Quinton Green - D-1 quality? Yes. MVC quality? No.

Potential future transfer losses that wouldn't be:
• Palesse
• Ruedinger
• Barrett
• DeAveiro
• Freese-Vilien
• Nelson
• Hedstrom
• Bayu?
• Palm?

Conclusion: What was once considered Matt's strongest suit - recruiting - has become just another glaring deficiency.

Advice:
When you can't recruit, game plan, coach, teach, or put together a quality schedule, you might want to consider a career change.

usc4valpo

Wh, very good analysis.

For Krikke, who has been loyal and played admirably, for his sake I hope he transfers to a better program next year to elevate his game. Staying here has no benefit if he wants to improve his game, especially given the lack of commitment to the basketball program.

vu72

UIC just lost their top player and scorer, Jace Carter to the portal.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

I really don't understand your comment usc.  Are you with us or against us?  You want Ben to transfer?  I want Ben to be happy, but I put Valpo's team success before any player any time.  You appear to be very vindictive.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on March 12, 2023, 09:39:13 AM
UIC just lost their top player and scorer, Jace Carter to the portal.

Wouldn't Carter be a nice surprise!

IndyValpo

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 12, 2023, 08:14:49 AM
Wh, very good analysis.

For Krikke, who has been loyal and played admirably, for his sake I hope he transfers to a better program next year to elevate his game. Staying here has no benefit if he wants to improve his game, especially given the lack of commitment to the basketball program.
First off, what analysis? He compiled a list of everybody available. That is some deep stuff. Secondly you hope our best player transfers, now that is a real fan.

usc4valpo

Here is the point - Krikke has been great, and has an extra year. Valpo basketball is tanking if they don't make a change. If Valpo is not committing to the basketball program, then Ben should find a better opportunity to enhance his skill set. I would hate to see him go, but I would certainly respect his decisions. If Valpo makes changes for the better, then Krikke should consider staying. fair enough?

Regarding my views on Valpo's strategy, I am just based it on the Strength Finders methodology, where you focus on strengths and reduce the scope.

humbleopinion

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 12, 2023, 08:14:49 AMStaying here has no benefit if he wants to improve his game,

Didn't he make it onto the MVC Most Improved Team this year?  It seems he has shown that he can improve at VU.  He'd certainly be guaranteed plenty of playing time.
Beamin' Beacons

David81

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 12, 2023, 04:12:41 PM
Here is the point - Krikke has been great, and has an extra year. Valpo basketball is tanking if they don't make a change. If Valpo is not committing to the basketball program, then Ben should find a better opportunity to enhance his skill set. I would hate to see him go, but I would certainly respect his decisions. If Valpo makes changes for the better, then Krikke should consider staying. fair enough?

Regarding my views on Valpo's strategy, I am just based it on the Strength Finders methodology, where you focus on strengths and reduce the scope.

If Krikke stays, he'll likely be given every reasonable opportunity to further develop his 3 point shooting, which showed signs of coming around this season but often resulted in a lot of misses. In terms of pro readiness, especially the European game, a better 3-point shot could pay major dividends.

But suppose he transfers to a P5 school. Do you think they'd let him fire away from deep? If he's lucky, he'd start and be expected to shoot from close to midrange.

valpofb16

Realistically Ben's only shot at pros are developing in Europe. NBA teams take 22 year old rookies few and far between.

His best bet to make cash is use NIL and go P5, he has body of work to land a deal in Europe. He can be a high volume player there. In NBA you need to have an elite skill to make it if you are not a high volume player.

usc4valpo

Krikke is NOT an NBA player but can succeed well in Europe. I would hate to see him in a similar season at Valpo next year as we saw with this year's disaster. He deserves better to improve his skills, and playing with better competition will only make him better.

Now if Valpo makes a change to create a better situation for Ben, I likely change my opinion.

Dr. T

Why wouldn't Luka Sakota come to Valpo? I mean .. Valpo IS the Harvard of the midwest!?!?!?  ???

historyman

Quote from: Dr. T on March 12, 2023, 09:15:15 PM
Why wouldn't Luka Sakota come to Valpo? I mean .. Valpo IS the Harvard of the midwest!?!?!?  ???

https://currentschoolgist.com/harvard-of-the-midwest-is-washington-university-in-st-louis-the-harvard-of-the-midwest/?amp

Hence, while Washington University in St. Louis is a great school, it cannot be truthfully regarded as Harvard of the Midwest.

[/size]"However, the same ranking put University of Chicago in #6 Best National University and #19 in Best Value School. It is the first [/size]university from the Midwest to appear in the list."

[/size]Now, it is important to understand the fact that the term "Harvard of the Midwest" is not an official designation. It is merely a marketing gimmick used by schools who are trying hard to piggyback on the prestige of [/size]Harvard University.

[/size]That said, the origin of referring to the University of Michigan (as the Harvard of the Midwest)  can be traced to an impromptu speech delivered by John F. Kennedy on the steps of Michigan Union in 1960.
[/size]It was a speech given during his campaign for presidency. The speech was intended to communicate the intention of Kennedy to establish the Peace Corps as a new way to serve the country and humanity.
[/size]Specifically, the speech started thus:
[/size]"I want to express my thanks to you, as a graduate of the Michigan of the East, Harvard University."

John Lithgow, Harvard grad, once said at a Valpo anniversary gathering something like "I am honored to be a graduate from the Valparaiso of New England."