• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers 2022/2023

Started by tiny707, March 06, 2023, 07:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Curiously, Coach Garrison followed up his "BOOM" tweet with this retweet about Kyonte Thomas (like Stafford, another Bolingbrook product), but no mention of an offer or commitment. Thomas played at Trinity International University, which has disbanded its athletics program.
[tweet]1658237192576065540[/tweet]

crusader05

Could just be a kid he knows and is giving him a bump in visibility. I don't know that I would assume those two are linked.

valpopal

Quote from: crusader05 on May 16, 2023, 07:54:09 AM
Could just be a kid he knows and is giving him a bump in visibility. I don't know that I would assume those two are linked.
Thus the "curiously" in my post. It would seem odd to follow-up a "BOOM" post that gets everyone's attention with an unrelated tweet.

David81

I keep an eye on the year-to-year roster/eligibility chart that Paul updates, mindful of the need to save a good cluster of open slots for next year, when the coaching staff has a full cycle to recruit.

Using that as a guide, it would be great to add maybe three quality final year guys who can provide a spark during the coming season, while making way for what I anticipate will be a very good recruiting year for 24-25.

JD24

Quote from: valpopal on May 16, 2023, 07:34:09 AMCuriously, Coach Garrison followed up his "BOOM" tweet with this retweet about Kyonte Thomas (like Stafford, another Bolingbrook product), but no mention of an offer or commitment. Thomas played at Trinity International University, which has disbanded its athletics program. [tweet]1658237192576065540[/tweet]
I don't think that's worthy of a good quality BOOM!

vok22

Quote from: David81 on May 16, 2023, 09:30:09 AM
I keep an eye on the year-to-year roster/eligibility chart that Paul updates, mindful of the need to save a good cluster of open slots for next year, when the coaching staff has a full cycle to recruit.

Using that as a guide, it would be great to add maybe three quality final year guys who can provide a spark during the coming season, while making way for what I anticipate will be a very good recruiting year for 24-25.

I agree, and I think that is what we will be targeting for the most part. I believe we currently have 0 seniors on the roster. This means that, barring transfers next season, if we fill out the roster with no seniors, we will have no guaranteed scholarships to offer to 2024 kids. Obviously, we will have people transfer out and spots will open up, but going through the 2023 season with no guaranteed roster spots opening in the offseason means we cant really accept 2024 commitments all year which would be a huge disadvantage. Look for us to finally add some seniors via the portal.

JD24

Quote from: vok22 on May 16, 2023, 12:04:11 PM
Quote from: David81 on May 16, 2023, 09:30:09 AMI keep an eye on the year-to-year roster/eligibility chart that Paul updates, mindful of the need to save a good cluster of open slots for next year, when the coaching staff has a full cycle to recruit. Using that as a guide, it would be great to add maybe three quality final year guys who can provide a spark during the coming season, while making way for what I anticipate will be a very good recruiting year for 24-25.
I agree, and I think that is what we will be targeting for the most part. I believe we currently have 0 seniors on the roster. This means that, barring transfers next season, if we fill out the roster with no seniors, we will have no guaranteed scholarships to offer to 2024 kids. Obviously, we will have people transfer out and spots will open up, but going through the 2023 season with no guaranteed roster spots opening in the offseason means we cant really accept 2024 commitments all year which would be a huge disadvantage. Look for us to finally add some seniors via the portal.
That's a good point and possibly why getting guys in from the portal is taking time. Maybe desireable seniors don't want to come to a program to spend their final season with a program starting essentially from scratch.

vok22

Garrison just posted another "boom" gif on Twitter. Last time he posted two of them, the following 5 days we got commitments from Isaiah Stanford and Jaxon Edwards. Wonder who the next two will be.

JD24

He could also be mimicking the sound of a sonic boom if he lives near a military base.

tjjvalpo

Is it possible that is related to the official announcement of Ajiboye?

JD24

A guess that at least one boom is for the McNair commit. Maybe that's a two boomer.

wh

Burgess is Sr. Scouting Director for PrepHoops.com/IL

"Roger Powell is big time recruiter and has already landed great gets from IL in portal and HS"

https://twitter.com/scottybscout/status/1658620442830151680?s=20

valpopal

This from Paul:
[tweet]1658860331345616896[/tweet]

vok22

ESPN had him as a 3 star commit, 17th best center prospect and 142 overall recruit last year. Don't know why he redshirted last year.

valpopal

Maybe Valpo has its new version of Vashil. These Lual Manyang (6'11" 225 lbs.) highlights are from 3 or 4 years ago:

vu72

That kid can dunk!  Roger is building a VERY young team who, if they stay together, could really be something down the road--or, perhaps sooner!  ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Just Sayin

tiny707

Likes to play fast and block shots...👍.

valpo64

It sounds like Lual will fit perfectly into Coach Powell's  offense...and he loves to block shots. Next season could really be a fun one.

vok22

I think we should pump the breaks on this upcoming year being anything special for now. Still have 0 seniors and nobody that is a clear number one. 1 transfer with significant D1 minutes and he averaged 3 ppg. Manyang looks like he has a TON of upside but clearly there is a catch if he was a top 150 recruit by ESPN and he is transferring from Hofstra after playing 0 minutes. Maybe he was injured or something else.

This roster is clearly being built in a more thoughtful manner with players that play to the strengths of the game plan. However, barring a HUGE transfer (which is still possible considering we have 4 open spots) we are still missing a clear go to guy and tons of experience. When I look at a lot of the guys on this roster, I think young with potential. They need mentors and time to grow and not all will pan out. With the way the coaching staff has gone about recruiting and the way they have indicated they are going to run things, there is reason to be excited for the future.

David81

Quote from: vok22 on May 17, 2023, 02:42:22 PM
I think we should pump the breaks on this upcoming year being anything special for now. Still have 0 seniors and nobody that is a clear number one. 1 transfer with significant D1 minutes and he averaged 3 ppg. Manyang looks like he has a TON of upside but clearly there is a catch if he was a top 150 recruit by ESPN and he is transferring from Hofstra after playing 0 minutes. Maybe he was injured or something else.

Indeed, to those who feel in the know about the current roster, who are the likely top scorers right now? I realize this a bit of a crapshoot projection, but I'm curious as to whether there's genuine scoring punch potential among the current signees.

tiny707

I am keeping things in perspective and my expectations are low for the first year.
I would he be happy with a 9th place finish or higher and 7 or more conference wins. Then build from there. Effort, toughness and an actual system is what I am looking for.

wh

Quote from: vok22 on May 17, 2023, 02:42:22 PM

This roster is clearly being built in a more thoughtful manner with players that play to the strengths of the game plan. However, barring a HUGE transfer (which is still possible considering we have 4 open spots) we are still missing a clear go to guy and tons of experience. When I look at a lot of the guys on this roster, I think young with potential. They need mentors and time to grow and not all will pan out. With the way the coaching staff has gone about recruiting and the way they have indicated they are going to run things, there is reason to be excited for the future.

I don't think you can play any minutes and be eligible to redshirt.

wh

Lual Manyang offers:

Hofstra
Hofstra Status: Committed (4/19/2022)
Offer:
Yes

Bryant
Offer:
Yes

Charlotte
Offer:
Yes

George Mason
Offer:
Yes

La Salle
Offer:
Yes

Manhattan
Offer:
Yes

Massachusetts
Offer:
Yes

NJIT
Offer:
Yes

Saint Louis
Offer:
Yes

Seton Hall
Offer:
Yes

valpo95

Is there a running list of all of this year's transfers out of the Valpo program, and where they are headed?